Hey all,

Now that I am all moved into my new apartment, I have to put my Tweaker and pedalboard downstairs. I would prefer to have an amp in my room, and due to its small size I figured a modeling amp would fit the bill -- small footprint, many sounds and effects. I do NOT want to use my computer, as it would be too tight to work a guitar to that area + I don't have the best speakers.

I hope to keep it under 200, and even cheaper if possible, that's why the Vypyr 15 has my eye. I also have looked at the VT15, but I can't tell if you can use more than 1 effect at a time like the Vypyr. I need to use more than a few effects at a time (but probably no more than 3).

I want to cover bluesy (SRV, Mayer, Clapton) stuff to American Metal (Van Halen, RATT, etc.) and come around to more pop-punk sounds like Green Day, Blink 182, Weezer.

Any help on narrowing it down? I am scouring through threads here, but it always helps to start my own!

Thanks guys.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/1830611407.html

this would be one of your better options (the flextone i mean), don't know if that one's still available though as the ad is over a month old, also might be a bit too big/loud

i like the vt 15 myself, but I think the only effects combinations you can use are the ones preset on the dial
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Moved to DC -- need to change my profile info. I am worried about buying used Vypyrs though due to some issues I have read about.

If the Vox won't let me stack effects, it may just be the Vypyr, are the other stompbox effects worth going to the 30?
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Moved to DC -- need to change my profile info. I am worried about buying used Vypyrs though due to some issues I have read about.

If the Vox won't let me stack effects, it may just be the Vypyr, are the other stompbox effects worth going to the 30?

You mean running pedals through the Vox?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Not quite -- say I want to use chorus, slapback delay and phase all at once, couldn't do it with the Vox it seems.
If you already have an amp for gigging and you want to stack effects you might be better off getting a set of monitor speakers and a Digitech or Line 6 multi-fx unit. It will take up less space and be easier to use than the crazy controls on small modeling amps.
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Not quite -- say I want to use chorus, slapback delay and phase all at once, couldn't do it with the Vox it seems.

I have the VT50, and I can tell you, that you cannot. But IMO you can get better cleans off the Vox than the Peaveys. Just my 2 cents.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
jp -- thanks for that, but it may be a little out of my budget -- this is an unplanned expense. I have my Blackstar HT-5 I want to sell, and I doubt I will get more than 200 for it. I would love to keep spending down, as I am now a grad student.

dice -- thanks for the heads up. I will probably practice mostly with distorted tones, but it would be nice to have some kind of cleans. From YouTube vids, the Vypyr will suffice. Again, this is for bedroom jamming with myself. I have the Tweaker in the basement.

I will have to just head into GC tomorrow and see what's up, but I always respect the opinion of the boards, keep 'em coming fellas!
Good luck sir! Dont half ass the decision. You'll regret it.

2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Ive had a vt30 for six months and theres still not a sound I cant get out of it. As for the effects the most you can do is two at a time. It has preset effects that are bassically two in one. Theres obtions for chorus + delay Comp + chorus And octave + chorus.
Quote by jpnyc
If you already have an amp for gigging and you want to stack effects you might be better off getting a set of monitor speakers and a Digitech or Line 6 multi-fx unit. It will take up less space and be easier to use than the crazy controls on small modeling amps.

This. POD+decent speakers > any 15 watt bedroom amp, digital or analog, t00b or transistor, at ultra low volumes.

Pocket POD is like $100, and you've probably already got decent speakers, and if not, use cheap ones until you find a good deal.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Meh. The vypr is ok, but not ideal for the stuff you want to play IMO.

I still use an old Vox DA15 as my travel amp (predecessor to the VT line) and get pretty great tone out of it. You can only use the effects they have set up (so like they have a list of different combinations ie chorus+delay) but you get less versatility in that sense.

IMO if you can pick up a used flextone for cheap, that would be the best option.
Quote by coolstoryangus
pocket pod is baws though. (crap for all you non scottish people)

Pocket POD = POD 2.0 in a smaller case. It's also the same as what's in the older Flextones.

It's decent (although not great), better than a Vypyr or Spider or Pocket POD Express or any of the similarly priced offerings from Zoom or Digitech.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
For ur type of music, the Vox is better.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by sixstringedmatt

Yes, it really is. You can't utilize the full greatness that is the Vypyr unless you have the 30 or bigger. It's just so damn versatile, it's insane. I wish I had known that before I bought my 15. Now I have to live with that, because I doubt I'll ever buy another modeling amp again.

But the 30 is seriously really cool.

However, (and I cannot believe I'm saying this), I think the others are right about it not being the best choice for your styles. If you can, you really should try it out first, and see if it works for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A flextone is too big of a footprint (physically for this room). The smaller the better would be ideal.

I will give the VT and Vypyrs a shot -- bear in mind, I still have my Tweaker and pedalboard in the basement, so I need something that will suffice in my room, and while the tone may not be spot on on the Vypyr I am already leaning towards it because of the ability to add up to 3 effects.

Does anyone know if the Used gear from GC has the full warranty? If I see a used Vypyr 30 online, I may buy it (after I go to GC and hear it of course).
So the Vypyr was pretty sweet. A lot better than I thought it would be. I really dig how I can stack effects over the VT. I did NOT get to try the VT though, the 15 was out of stock and I didn't want to try the 30 at the time. I also tried a Spider for shits and giggles -- woof. For a while I really thought, this board really gives it to Spiders. Now I realize its with good reason haha.
Try looking for a used Line 6 Pod XT.

Those sound excellent, but you need headphones or speakers.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I do have some really nice headphones... the Monster Beats Studio ones, the highest you can get. (Only because I worked at Best Buy and got them for a ridiculous price).

I may then look into the POD stuff. I have been listening to YouTube demos of the POD line, will it sound like that WITH headphones? All of this I assume is through monitors or an amp...
Last edited by sixstringedmatt at Aug 16, 2010,
VTs are great for blues and pop. Those amps include effects from PHASER to TREMOLO and even have an independent REVERB knob. One of the effects is called CHORUS+DELAY. Technically you could have up to 3 effects at once, but not the ones that you mentioned.

I don't know if the Vypyr lets you combine those effect that you seek.
Been happy with my VT30 for quite awhile now.

IMO you can tell the difference between the tube-like sound of the Vox's to the solid state sound of the vypyrs...And I wouldn't even consider a POD personally.
I read you could stack 3 effects on the Vypyr 30 -- I am probably wrong...

May look into just a VT15 then. I need something soon and really don't have much cash.
I have a Vypyr 15 and consider the cleans and hi-gain tones to be decent. But IMO the bluesy crunch and mid gain tones are grainy sounding. I would say digital sounding but Peavey claims the distortion is analog. If you have a stereo in your room, you might find that a Tonelab ST, Boss ME-25, or other multifx to be just the ticket.

Use your stereo as an amp. I have a multifx going into a mixer -> 100 watt stereo power amp -> Yamaha speakers and it sounds pretty darn good.
pod x3 plus speakers is a great option. IF you have to have a trad amp, vypyr or roland cube.
Guitars
Amps
Ya it's not that important haha. Gotta keep it cheap though. Only have my computer and computer speakers. A pc rig will be tight as my desk is lodged in a tight spot already. That's why I'm leaning more towered a modeling amp because I have just the floor spot for it!
IF I went the computer route, what would I need exactly? Can I get a cheap unit that will let me plug my guitar into the computer and then download free software to emulate amps, etc? Or will I be spending a lot for the unit + software?