Hi UG, I have a Vox AC30VT XL which I bought in Asia and it's now with me in the US. So I'm trying to power it up but I'm worried that the power differences between both places might destroy my amp. It says on the amp 220-230v ~ 50Hz 40w and I believe America's power is 110v.

So my question is can I power it up directly or would I need a power transformer or something else?

Thank you.
Last edited by Johntubb at Aug 15, 2010,
North America uses 120V 60Hz, so yes, you'll need a transformer.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
america runs on 60 Hz 120 VAC. you will need to do one of two things. either get a good, high quality adapter to change the power. this is a more temporary solution, but it can be fine if you spend the money to get a good converter.

or go to an amp tech and have them switch out the power transformer. some amps even have multiple taps on them, which means its an easy switch. going from 50 to 60 Hz is a bit of an issue with transformers if they arent designed for it, but if it has multi-taps then it probably was.
I'm looking to go a cheap way. Can I buy this kind of transformer at like Bestbuy or Walmart or RadioShack? Whats it called?
^no, you can't. Small bear probably sells them for fairly cheap though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
heed jofs advice. don't take the cheap route or you'll be out of an amp.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
It may have a second tap on the power transformer for 110V. Get somebody that knows what they are looking at to have a look inside.

PS: plugging it into 110V won't actually blow it up but it won't work.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Won't blow it up but it might damage it over time.

Electrical stuff is generally pretty fussy about potential differences of that magnitude.

You're still going to have to deal with the 50Hz/60Hz issue as well.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.