Hey i have a show coming up and im playing guitar to stevie wonders "i cant help it" (as played by Michael Jackson).. i am having extreme difficulty blowing over the changes A713(#11) to Abmaj9.. i dont know why im having trouble. i cant find the tonality of it. so if anyone can help me out that'll be great, thanks
What I would do with those chords is treat each as it's own scale/mode.

The first I would do A Lydian since it contains EVERY note in Lydian.

The second I would treat it as if it was Ab Major.

A good indication that they're both supposed to be played separately is that they're the same tonality (mostly), but they're only a half-step apart. That NEVER happens diatonically.
i can see that for Ab MAJOR.. But doesnt the first chord have a dominant 7th. and natural lydian has a maj7th.. unless youre talking about lydian dom.
Quote by Schane
i can see that for Ab MAJOR.. But doesnt the first chord have a dominant 7th. and natural lydian has a maj7th.. unless youre talking about lydian dom.

Yeah that's my bad. Just treat it as A Lydian with a b7. You could think about it as A Major with a b7 and #4 if you want. Either way is fine.
I would use an altered dominant scale over the A713(#11) and then Ab Major over the AbMaj7 chord.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Schane
Hey i have a show coming up and im playing guitar to stevie wonders "i cant help it" (as played by Michael Jackson).. i am having extreme difficulty blowing over the changes A713(#11) to Abmaj9.. i dont know why im having trouble. i cant find the tonality of it. so if anyone can help me out that'll be great, thanks

A13 #11 A C# E G D# F# (omitted the 9)

Abmaj9 Ab C Eb Gb and Bb

Enharmonically, you have Gb/F#, D#/Eb as 2 common tones you can use to transition from one to the next as chords change?

Could pose a bit of a challenge.

Sean
A mixolydian (or a blues scale, or a blues scale built on the fifth, or lydian dominant or whole tone/diminished) and Ab major or lydian. Use your ears and those scales.