Hello guys,

It's still my first days in an international forum so forgive me if I have any mistake in language or anything.

So, I'm moving to Toronto this Sept. And I'm buying a new guitar. What I have for music is around ~900 CAD. As I researched that amount will probably cover an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus + Hardcase + a low-end amp around $120.

My first question, is the Plus Top on the Plus models worthy to you ? To be honest I haven't picked up an Epiphone LP Standard in my life, or seen ). What you think about the top ? I prefer the color of the Plus models (Transparent Amber).

Moreover, what should I be careful when buying an Epiphone LP Standard ? I have a list of serial's beginnings for place of manufacture and date. What else ? How much does it take for a proper set-up from the store's tech (pickup height, intonations, truss rods...). How much does it take to modify the capacitors,(I'm not really sure what capacitors do but I heard them all the time and I'm gonna research :] ), pots, and the toggle switch ?

Thanks. Have fun playing.
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350
Vietnamese Made - Duy Ngọc Acoustic Guitar

Soon my gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Last edited by Chocobo142 at Aug 15, 2010,
The only difference between the LP Standard Plain and Plus Tops is that the Plus Top has a better top IIRC. You're still going to want to change pickups eventually, regardless of what you get.

My advice? Don't order one off the internet, actually go into stores and play them. That way you know what you're getting is good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The only difference between the LP Standard Plain and Plus Tops is that the Plus Top has a better top IIRC. You're still going to want to change pickups eventually, regardless of what you get.

My advice? Don't order one off the internet, actually go into stores and play them. That way you know what you're getting is good.

I got advices about pickup changes too. As I'm a huge fan of Slash a pair of Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups might work for me.
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
Actually, I wouldn't necessarily change pickups until you get a good amp... the Alnico Pro II pickups don't have much character on their own.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
My advice is to either buy a used Gibson Studio for that amount (it'll come with a hard case) off Kijiji/Craigslist and the $120 amp

OR, if you're totally set on the Epi Std (ick) buy it used for around $300 and pick up a much nicer amp with the remaining funds.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I would advise to get a japanese copy, like an Edwards or agile.
Guitars
Amps
^ They're pretty hard to find up here and you're going to pay quite a bit of duty and taxes on them on top of shipping.\

I've been paying almost 20% lately on imported goods.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Just play lots and lots and lots of scales all over the neck. Make sure the neck isn’t warped, that frets aren’t poking out, and that it either doesn’t buzz or only buzzes on the high frets of the low strings.
thanks for the advice. The thing I'm totally set is that I'm going to buy something that I'm sure about. That's why I'm not going on Ebay this time. Things on Ebay look incredibly cheap for me, and that's why i'm not sure.
Guys, I'm gonna buy it in Canada. Little variation as far as I know ( I love Edward guitars, but where can I get them in Toronto ?
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
lol i wished i am going to the united states to study instead =))
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
^ There's tons of used Epis and Gibsons in Toronto though. Try those.

but where to buy ? I know only three stores in Toronto: Long McQuade, Steve's, and 12th Fret.
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
Use that link I sent you and get one off Craigslist or Kijiji.

You'll get way better value for your dollar buying from an independent seller than from a store.

great thanks, bubb tubbs. I'll research more before the final decision.
but, is it too risky to buy a guitar without testing it first? this is a beginner's topic so don't be annoyed if the question is too noobie )
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
Well, most people you're going to buy it from you'll be able to play it before you give them money.

If you're not comfortable with buying used from somebody, just go to Long and McQuade or 12th Fret. They're both excellent stores but you will pay a bit more there.

and if i'm shipping it from the U.S.? do i have to pay 13% tax if i buy it from the us ?
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
Well with the harmonized sales tax it's more like 20%.

I paid $420 in taxes on a Gibson I bought for $2000 that was mailed here.

Quote by Raijouta

This. I ordered an LP standard off teh webz. Dumbest move ever. Returned it, went to a few local GCs, and eventually found an LP that wasn't shite.

Their QC is pretty random, but there are diamonds in the ruff.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Ask the guy if you can check it out. When you show up at his place ask if you can jam on it/get a feel for it.
Thanks for the supports guys It's really helpful. I'm getting a good start on my used-guitars research.
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
Oh, do we ever bargain in big guitar stores in Toronto ? Like Steve's or Long McQuade ?
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
No, I don't think so. I've never tried to bargain down a price at GC. Which is why I usually only shop there for strings/parts/pups(occasionally).

It isn't a car, it can't really be debated on the price. You can try if you want though.
I love my Epi, it's trans amber like you were looking at;

I changed the pup's and took the pick guard off but in my opinion its still my favourite guitar to play, and I own 2 CIJ Fenders.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I like the tomato soup finish the best. It just looks so... secks.

(Invalid img)
What to check for with an Epiphone? Weight. If it's really light, it's got alder int eh body. If it's REALLY heavy, it's probably all mahogany and maple.

I also like to tap the neck and body to see if they resonate at the same pitch, or at perfect intervals (fifths, fourths, octaves) from one another, which just means they're well matched pieces of wood that will resonate well with one another.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Thanks guys. About the color, seems like I'm going for the Trans Amber. I'm planning to get Alnico II set for Christmas, so it will be a Clone AFD =].

And I'll try to bargain.
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
Quote by Chocobo142
Thanks guys. About the color, seems like I'm going for the Trans Amber. I'm planning to get Alnico II set for Christmas, so it will be a Clone AFD =].

And I'll try to bargain.

Exactly the same as my Epi LP the one pictured up top too

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page