I recently purchased an ampeg BA115HPT for the purposes of practice, jamming, and playing some possible upcoming gigs. I've really been enjoying the tone thus far and the amp seems very well built but I was invited to jam with a couple of people tonight and the results were far from what I was looking for.

I was jamming with a guitarist using a fender hot rod deluxe (volume under 9:00) and a drummer (younger sister so think a relatively quiet drummer) and the guitarist was singing through a PA that was just loud enough to be heard over the instruments. The problem was that I just couldn't cut through the mix or really hear myself. This was a relatively tame jam and I had my amp all the way up on the master volume and at 3:00 on the gain and then I was only just distinguishable.

I tried eq'ing my bass differently boosting the mids, hi-mids and highs different ways but I just couldnt get over the fact that I needed the amp on almost full to cut though.

Since I got the amp new about a week ago I can exchange it for a TC BG500 combo but I'm confused about if it's wattage I need or it's the 15inch speaker that is the culprit?

Any assistance is appreciated.

PS. I play 5 string.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
You should have no problem getting that to cut through. I own a BA115 (a discontinued version, before they started making them with gain knobs).

My EQ right now is set (from bass to treble) at 5 - 7/8 - 3.

Now, that EQ doesn't get you as much low end response, but you can always kick up the bass to give it that deep thud.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
You should have no problem getting that to cut through. I own a BA115 (a discontinued version, before they started making them with gain knobs).

My EQ right now is set (from bass to treble) at 5 - 7/8 - 3.

Now, that EQ doesn't get you as much low end response, but you can always kick up the bass to give it that deep thud.

Interesting, I'll definately try that out tommorow.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Sounds pretty weird, especially considering its a 220w amp... Maybe it's faulty?

As for the TC BG500, I would thoroughly recommend them! I tried one extensively and it's excellent, can nail any sort of tone you're looking for, from hifi slap to gritty rock to jazz. TC stuff can also apparently get quite close to a classic Ampeg SVT tone. The only reason I didn't buy one is because the size and weight aren't practical for me (which is the reason I got a Markbass Little Mark II head, it's such a small and light head! Has a different sound than the TC but sounds just as good)

EDIT: But definitely try food1010's advice
Last edited by SuperMaximo93 at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by SuperMaximo93
Sounds pretty weird, especially considering its a 220w amp... Maybe it's faulty?

As for the TC BG500, I would thoroughly recommend them! I tried one extensively and it's excellent, can nail any sort of tone you're looking for, from hifi slap to gritty rock to jazz. TC stuff can also apparently get quite close to a classic Ampeg SVT tone. The only reason I didn't buy one is because the size and weight aren't practical for me (which is the reason I got a Markbass Little Mark II head, it's such a small and light head! Has a different sound than the TC but sounds just as good)

EDIT: But definitely try food1010's advice

I will definately try his advice and I really appreciate yours. So I should still be able to cut quite easily wit ha 15 inch speaker/tweeter correct?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
You could have been standing in a bad place to hear the bass? That amp looks (by the specs) to be very solid, and should have been easily audible in such a jam. Maybe you have set it up wrong, or perhaps the preamp tube is stuffed.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by Slanderous666
I will definately try his advice and I really appreciate yours. So I should still be able to cut quite easily wit ha 15 inch speaker/tweeter correct?
The 15 inch speaker should easily be able to cut through, particularly run at 220 watts. Mine is only 100 watts and the 15 inch speaker still cuts through easily.

Also, don't worry about harming your amp by putting it at higher volumes. As long as there's no clipping (you should be able to hear it), it shouldn't do any harm.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
The 15 inch speaker should easily be able to cut through, particularly run at 220 watts. Mine is only 100 watts and the 15 inch speaker still cuts through easily.

Also, don't worry about harming your amp by putting it at higher volumes. As long as there's no clipping (you should be able to hear it), it shouldn't do any harm.

Hmm interesting I'll try more eq'ing tommorow but from what your saying it seems liek their might be a problem with it.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
you might want to try a pick to help you cut through more (if you don't already)
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
you might want to try a pick to help you cut through more (if you don't already)

Thats a good idea too. I will try to boost the high's and mids again and maybe drop the bass alittle.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
What really confuses me is how a 'tame' jam will push a decent combo to its maximum

Oh just had a thought just as I was typing that Make sure you stand maybe a couple metres away from your amp. You didn't give any specifics in your OP about where you stood (or what the room was like... details please? ) but bass frequencies have a large wavelength, so if you stand too close to the amp they will completely miss your ears and travel straight past your legs!
Last edited by SuperMaximo93 at Aug 16, 2010,
Ampegs are infamous for getting lost in the mix and coloring the tone of your bass. Solo playing and recording they sound good, but it doesn't really stand out in a group. Try boosting your highs and lows and scooping the mids out just a bit.
Quote by Ledhead82048
Ampegs are infamous for getting lost in the mix and coloring the tone of your bass. Solo playing and recording they sound good, but it doesn't really stand out in a group. Try boosting your highs and lows and scooping the mids out just a bit.

This is exactly what I experienced.

Anyways returned the ampeg today and got the tc electronics BG500. The bg500 is perfect. It sounds tight and defined with every note played. Only problem is that they charged me an extra hundred because they advertised the wrong price and the amp must have been damaged because as soon as I got it home I tuned my bass and it died...

Currently waiting for it to be repaired tommorow or have a new one by Wednesday.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Good decision. Hope you can get up and running again with the amp soon. Next time you jam it should be able to slice right through the mix with only small adjustments in the mids, maybe add a bit of compression for extra punch (the compressor works really well IMO)
You definitely made the right choice, personally I can't stand Ampeg. Hope everything works out for you sooner than later, I have my fingers crossed!
I don't hate Ampeg but those BAs are dreadful amps. Really muffled sounding. Haven't tried the newer HP or T versions though. I hope your new amp is an easy fix.
I really hope my amp is fixed shortly as well. I've heard great things about ampeg's all tube heads but the BA series was a bit disappointing.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Update: They sent the TC back and I got a brand new bg500 out of the box today. luckily I tried it in the shop as as soon as I flipped it on it short circuited made a high pitched noise and died never to be turned on again just like the first. After 2 defective TC's it looks like I will have to go with something else. The main problem being I cant get a refund only store credit. I didnth ave time today but tommorow I will go in and get another new amp. So far the closest contender is a hartke.

My options are

harte HyDrive 210C 250w Most likely I guess.

harte HyDrive 112C 300w

and ampeg ba300 115 300watt,

Heres a link to their site. If anyone else has any other ideas it would be appreciated.

http://www.fleetsound.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=98_99_100_244&page=1&sort=5a
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni

I'd suggest one of the Hartkes, try both out and see which speaker configuration you like best
Quote by SuperMaximo93

I'd suggest one of the Hartkes, try both out and see which speaker configuration you like best

I went with the hartke hydrive 210c in the end. Not as clear as the tc but definately an improvement over the ampeg. Thanks to everyone who helped
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by SuperMaximo93
Cool, please give us an update when you try it with a band

I'm planning to either today or tomorrow SO i will definitely report my findings So far the hartke is really sounding alot tighter.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
What a difference! I was jamming with the same group again with the same equipment with the exception of the amp and the hartke is one hell of a nice amp. The hartke cuts through the mix much better at about 10:00 volume where the ampeg BA could not hold it's own at full volume. The compressor makes quite a difference as well as the tweeter control. The "-6DB" tweeter mode works the best. I'm not quite sure what it means as the other two modes are off and on but it tends to works the best. Very happy with hartke. The 7 band EQ is a very nice feature.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Great!

I haven't looked at the manual, but the -6dB tweeter thing presumably just cuts the volume to the tweeter (the metal thing above the two speakers if you didn't know), so there's less very high frequency treble

It should last you a long time too, as Hartke's are supposed to be very durable, and the customer services are incredible apparently (you can talk to Larry Hartke, who is the manager/boss/whatever himself )
All the people I know who rang him up got a free set of strings out of it too.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by SuperMaximo93
Great!

I haven't looked at the manual, but the -6dB tweeter thing presumably just cuts the volume to the tweeter (the metal thing above the two speakers if you didn't know), so there's less very high frequency treble

It should last you a long time too, as Hartke's are supposed to be very durable, and the customer services are incredible apparently (you can talk to Larry Hartke, who is the manager/boss/whatever himself )

Ya I knew that was the tweeter But your probably right about it having the tweeter on and cutting it back a bit. Makes alot of sense. Seems like giving them a call would be worth it
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni