just wondering.
[IMG]http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/tarman727/SigContestSig.png?t=1234067139[/IMG]
HSS= Humbucker in the bridge position, Single coil middle and neck.

SSS= Triple single coils.

If you don't know what I am talking about it is the kind of pickup layout.
HSS can give you a larger variety of sounds. It can play music that is heavier than an SSS. HSS still offers the strat twang in the mid and neck pickups. SSS strat just offers strat twang.
ape-i knew that, i meant sound wise.
offbest-thanks, so for mainly clean sounds would SSS be better, or both the same for clean sounds?
[IMG]http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/tarman727/SigContestSig.png?t=1234067139[/IMG]
>_> really?

>_>

One is capable of only single coil tones while the other can do humbucker and single coil tones.
to be honest, an hss never really sounded that much different to me than an sss. granted the obvious fact that it's a humbucker in there, the sound always felt much thinner than a normal humbucker-based guitar...a strat will sound like a strat nonethless imo.
so if im going for mainly clean sounds(John Mayer, RHCP, Jason Mraz, Beatles, etc.), which would b better for me and why?
Quote by tarman727
so if im going for mainly clean sounds(John Mayer, RHCP, Jason Mraz, Beatles, etc.), which would b better for me and why?
I'd say go for the SSS. To give you an idea, JM always uses SSS strats.

But really what you need to do is head on down to a guitar store and try them both out.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by tarman727

It really doesn't matter. Just find a Strat you like and get it, whether or not it's HSS or SSS. Most of the time I never use my bridge single coil, but I think it looks better without the humbucker there. Most the tones you listed you're going to achieve with a neck single coil anyway, so just find a guitar with SCs that you like the sound and feel of and go with that.
Quote by Ace88
Forgive me, O bastion of ear tuning. My stringeth be old, my tuning be quick; hopefully one day your string will snap you in the dick.
Quote by siverstorm
>_> really?

>_>

One is capable of only single coil tones while the other can do humbucker and single coil tones.

not true the SSS configuration can do humbucker tones. the way fender wires their pickups allows for the 2nd and 4th switch settings to use two SC together, effectively having a humbucker.

does it sound as good as a humbucker? no
What sounds 'best' or 'right' is entirely subjective to your personal tastes. Lots of people prefer humbuckers for clean tones than single coils, and lots of people prefer single coils for distorted tones instead of humbuckers. There is no right or wrong way.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Mangohabs
the sound always felt much thinner than a normal humbucker-based guitar...

Yea I think it's just the stock humbucker in typical HSS strats. Replacing them with something heavier would work for playing heavier music.

EDIT: Wow I just read what I wrote.
Last edited by siverstorm at Aug 15, 2010,
Strats are usually SSS for a reason. Fat strats (HSS) and super strats (HSH) have their place, but for cleans like the artists/bands you have mentioned, the standard SSS strat is the way to go.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by IronMaiden76
personally, i like HSH strats like the dave murray signature strat
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Dave-Murray-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=581173

I don't get why that's still being sold. Recently all I've seen him with are HSS floyd strats and the SS are stacked singles, not even normal singles.
Quote by siverstorm
I don't get why that's still being sold. Recently all I've seen him with are HSS floyd strats and the SS are stacked singles, not even normal singles.

To make money?
Quote by siverstorm

i saw him on the 12th of July in NYC with an HSH strat...
Quote by MG_Sora
To make money?

Oh you're so quirky.

Quote by siverstorm

I wonder what I meant with that?
Quote by siverstorm

I wonder what I meant with that?

what did you mean? i had just gotten over the desire to own a strat with full sized humbuckers in the neck and bridge and a single coil in the middle till i saw it and hr played a les paul, which kinda surprised me
Quote by IronMaiden76
i saw him on the 12th of July in NYC with an HSH strat...

And I saw him on July 3rd in Toronto with an HSS strat, an SSS strat and an LP. (They didn't always play strats. Adrian even played an Explorer and he also has the SG with the peace sign sticker on it.)

Both the strats had stacked singles. But now we're getting off topic.
Quote by Alucard817
not true the SSS configuration can do humbucker tones. the way fender wires their pickups allows for the 2nd and 4th switch settings to use two SC together, effectively having a humbucker.

Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
You can't go wrong with the classic sss strat and I've never had much trouble getting a "heavy" sound out of that configuration.any thiness can be worked out with effects or amp settings.but most of the artists you listed all use or have used strats to acheve their tones but as stated above its all about what feels right to you bro,try them both out and use your ears to decide
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by Alucard817

Positions 2 & 4 are usually hum cancelling because the middle pick up in RW/RP (reverse wound, reverse polarity). That does NOT equal humbucker tone!!!!!
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different
If you're asking for the tone then I would say that SSS would work best for your type of music. But you may want to consider getting HSS, and doing a coil tap on the bridge pup. IMO it doesn't sound perfectly like a SC, but it's alot more versatile.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
difference between HSS and SSS strats
There's your difference right there