Page 1 of 2
Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways
In this this video, starting at about 2:39, Moore holds a bend for more than 20 seconds. I have a live recording were he holds the same note for almost 30 seconds. How can lesser mortals like me get close to this length of sustain?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
fernandes sustainer i assume
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Quote by Solarstar101
fernandes sustainer i assume

Not on Peter Green's guitar - although it might be something for the rest of us to consider.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Last edited by seemeel at Aug 16, 2010,
Peter Green mods his guitar soo there might be an onboard effect like Zappa was know for.
with good vibrato and a compressor, you can sustain notes for days.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If you vibrato the bent note, it will continue to sustain as long as you vibrato it, although the volume won't be as loud as when you first picked it.
That sounds like feedback to me honestly. I can do that with my champ on ten. Get a bend like that where the note becomes part of the feedback loop.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
That sounds like feedback to me honestly. I can do that with my champ on ten. Get a bend like that where the note becomes part of the feedback loop.

It's not feedback.

Quote by seemeel
It's not feedback.

It's not all feedback. But it sounds like part of the feedback loop. Maybe not EXACTLY what he's doing. I simply said that's how I achieve it and it sounds similar to what I do. I can hold a bend all day like that.

Edit: listen right at 3:01. Feedback. Partially at least.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I can hold a bend all day like that.

Yep, put the guitar down next to the amp, go to work and when you get home it's still going.

BUT: that's cheating, insofar as it's not just the note, which is what Gary Moore does (right until the end of the note anyway).

Quote by seemeel
Yep, put the guitar down next to the amp, go to work and when you get home it's still going.

BUT: that's cheating, insofar as it's not just the note, which is what Gary Moore does (right until the end of the note anyway).

I really, truly don't think so. That wouldn't work on a clean amp. And I stand about 15 feet away from my amp and I can do it just fine. Take a heavily saturated tube amp and try holding a bend. It's not "cheating." It's how you achieve an endlessly sustaining note. It's not natural.

It's not ALL feedback. But listen to it. It's not purely the plucked note either.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Aug 16, 2010,
i heard that with a fixed bridge, you have longer sustain
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

It looks like he was turning his volume up as he held it so it didn't seem to be getting any quieter. So you could try doing that. Also, Gibsons tend to be pretty good for sustain, especially ones with a fixed bridge. So I think it was a combination of those factors, vibrato, and a touch of feedback.
It's feedback... You can hear him fighting with it to keep the fundamental note sounding.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
It's feedback... You can hear him fighting with it to keep the fundamental note sounding.

At the end of the note, yes. Perhaps this was not the best example. There are many others. In one of the live versions I have, he plays the note for 31 seconds and it doesn't lose its integrity at all, right up until about 28 or 29 seconds where the feedback starts to become audible.

Yes, having a fixed bridge helps - my Strat is great for a lot of things but very, very long notes; not so much.

No, it is feedback the whole time. The amp is so loud that it causes the strings to continue to vibrate long after they would have stopped with no interference. If you're not careful, the note will decay into the harmonics most people associate with feedback and you can hear Gary Moore fighting with it in that video. At parts you can hear it almost happen but he quickly gains control of the guitar.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I don't think its feedback,les pauls can just do that.doesn't really excite me much but I can see where people would think its cool though.I've just never really liked gary moore lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
I don't think its feedback,les pauls can just do that.doesn't really excite me much but I can see where people would think its cool though.I've just never really liked gary moore lol

I've owned a particularly nice Les Paul and I'll tell you that you won't get that sustain without the feedback while it's very easy to achieve with the Strats I've owned the SG I owned at stage volumes. The amp is putting out the same pitch as the guitar string causing it to resonate when it's loud enough to feedback. Guitar players have been manipulating it since the days of Hendrix.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

That's feedback.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
If its feedback then its just a big trick then that anyone can do lol...you may be right I just said "I don't think its feedback" I had a 82 les paul custom and with a jcm800 and a ds-1 with the tone all the way down I could get a note to ring out for a long ass time without it feeding back

The DS-1 adds an assload of compression, especially on top of the 800. It's sustain but it's a different kind of sustain than the one in the video.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

it's easy to do with semi hollows like an ES335. if you sit in front of the speaker, and it's just over bedroom volume, it'll start feeding back like a mofo. but it feeds back on E, which is pleasant.

if your les paul is somewhat hollowed out, it'd be easy to do as well. its because hollow guitars
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The secret to sustain is volume. This lets you ride the waves of feedback, especially if you know exactly where to stand to catch the perfect one.

Also, a lot of volume helps. I also try and play at a high volume. However, I always make sure to turn up my volume. Then, I use more volume. After a while, it gets loud so I use more volume.

volume. >_>
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 16, 2010,
^the analogy of the first part was awesome.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Came in here to say volume. Was beaten.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by mmolteratx

+1

Santana does the same thing heaps too.
If you want to hear how far controlled feedback can be taken, grab a live Ted Nugent album.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by seemeel
It's not feedback.

Yes, it is.

It's decent guitar plugged into an extrememly loud amp.

If everyone just paid a little more attention in physics lessons they wouldn't need to ask half as many questions as they do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 16, 2010,
It's probably a combination of the vibrato, him turning the volume up while playing the note, maybe feedback and maybe compression.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
How can you guys not recognise feedback when you hear it? I'm flabbergasted.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by rdobson2
If its feedback then its just a big trick then that anyone can do lol...you may be right I just said "I don't think its feedback" I had a 82 les paul custom and with a jcm800 and a ds-1 with the tone all the way down I could get a note to ring out for a long ass time without it feeding back

You're associating "feedback" with a sound where actually it's not, it's a physical process whereby the soundwaves coming out of the amp are powerful enough to make the string vibrate; in this case they're making the string vibrate at the same pitch as the original note.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^Exaccerly.

Feedback isn't just about howls, its' something you can manipulate and control. If you find the right balance then you can use it to sustain a note without swamping it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by seemeel
Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways
In this this video, starting at about 2:39, Moore holds a bend for more than 20 seconds. I have a live recording were he holds the same note for almost 30 seconds. How can lesser mortals like me get close to this length of sustain?

You do realize that Mr. Moore has been playing professionally since the 60's and has had decades with which to perfect his craft. That's not to say that you can't do it, just that you may need to practice your ass of in order to do it. Does Gary make it look easy? Yep. But ya gotta remember he's done it thousands of times too.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You're associating "feedback" with a sound where actually it's not, it's a physical process whereby the soundwaves coming out of the amp are powerful enough to make the string vibrate; in this case they're making the string vibrate at the same pitch as the original note.

Exactly. Nugent used to walk around the stage and mark the spots where he got the best feedback with a cross. I find it hard to believe that the idea of making the soundwaves vibrate the strings is unknown to these posters. Have they never played a guitar in front of a loud amp? This is one of the most baffling threads I've seen for a long time. The ignorance in such a fundamental rock guitar technique is astounding, simply astounding. I'm dumbfounded.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I like how I say it's feedback and get chewed out... and then a ton of people come in and say it's feeedback. Where were you all??

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I like how I say it's feedback and get chewed out... and then a ton of people come in and say it's feeedback. Where were you all??

Playing our guitars.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Artemis Entreri

Marking where I get the best feedback in my room.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
You can clearly see him adjusting the volume knob a bit before he does the bend, and while hes bending, you can see his finger on the volume knob, so I think the sustain also comes partly from that. Thats a real interesting technique though.
erm that is just feedback, my old guitar teacher used to do exactly the same thing with a fender strat and a jcm 2000 turned up really loud, he got the feedback at bout half volume then adjusted the volume know to balance the decay of the feedback. Les pauls have great sustain, but no guitar can last more than 20 seconds without decay.
I guess I've just never knew the difference between feedback and sustain I always associated feedback with something like EXP by hendrix and measured how long a note lasted as sustain? Sorry I'm just a guitarist I've had no formal training at all lol

Page 1 of 2