Page 1 of 2
Okay, I'm turning 16 this year so that means I could get a job, however, I have long hair and want my lip pierced. I honestly don't look "right" with a shorter hair cut, my hair's about shoulder length, so it isn't ridiculously long. Would employers be prejudiced towards that appearance? I do need to get a job to get some money, so being unemployed isn't an option.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

You won't know until you try.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
You think that's a problem? TS, it's them who you should be afraid of, them, taking yer jerb.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
just tie your hair back and look as "presentable" as possible.

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
I can tell you right now as a 16 year old with shoulder length hair that yes it will be a problem, depending on where you apply. I have applied at places and they have said that my hair was a problem.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Just work at Hot Topic or something.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Some of them might, but as long as it's clean and presentable, preferably straightened or styled in some way, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Just make sure you do take care of it, this might just be me but I find long greasy/unkept hair is just disgusting, and that would definitely put people off.
working in food, your hair will most likely be a problem. retail...not so much, as long as you look presentable. The lip ring will most likely have to go unless you work at hot topic or something.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Quote by truiteleague
Cut your hair, remove your ring, get a business suit. Now you're ready for a job!

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I had hair with bangs and over my ears. I was still told to cut my hair. That was 5 years ago. When the economy was good! So, yes, TS...cut your hair.

Here's a pic to ease the grieving process:
Wal-Mart or Target.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Honestly, from my experience, you'd be lucky if they give you enough attention to even care about your appearance.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Probably.

My girlfriend was rejected for a job around here for having a very small tattoo on her wrist and purple hair.

She was also rejected for "not having the right image" for a clothing store (Which is a nice way of saying she was built bigger than they like. She's a bigger girl with curves but to not employ her for that is pathetic).
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Tie your hair back and keep it clean. Remove the lip-ring during work hours. Stay clean shaven.
RIP Tom Searle.
it's incredibly hard to find a job for me right now. i'm probably not job hunting as often as I should, but still. I'm just trying to find a second job right now and nobody calls me back. :/
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
There seems to be so many of these threads yet I still don't have a job.
Step it up pit.
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Ditch the lip ring if you want a job. You should probably get a hair cut as well. Jobs are hard to get right now, and if a manager has a choice, a 16 year old kid with no work experience, long hair, and facial piercings is never going to get hired.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
You aren't that serious about looking for work then. It isn't them who are set out to please your needs, it's what you can offer the company. Comply with their regulations or look elsewhere.

Hair will grow back. Lose the ring.
Quote by Zaphikh
You aren't that serious about looking for work then. It isn't them who are set out to please your needs, it's what you can offer the company. Comply with their regulations or look elsewhere.

I should have added that first part to my post. Cutting your hair and looking presentable is going to help you immensely.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Zaphikh

I'm not serious about looking for work because I'm 15. Read a bit better next time. I also don't have a lip ring, I was looking to get one. I was wondering if I would be getting judged for my appearance, which I will. That's all I needed to know, I'll get a bit shorter of a cut and not get my lip pierced.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

You only need to be 14 to have a job though? At least in Florida. I applied at the local grocery store, didn't get a call, failed the Walmart application test online (LOOK UP TIPS BEFORE TAKING IT) and you need to be 16 at the other places I could work.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
I'm not serious about looking for work because I'm 15. Read a bit better next time.

I read your post just fine.
I was wondering if I would be getting judged for my appearance, which I will.

Count on it. It's their job to judge you to see if you're cut out to work there.
I'll get a bit shorter of a cut and not get my lip pierced.

You've got a good head on your shoulders.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Aug 16, 2010,
OP:
Would employers be prejudiced towards that appearance? I do need to get a job to get some money, so being unemployed isn't an option.

Next post by OP:

I'm not serious about looking for work because I'm 15. Read a bit better next time. I also don't have a lip ring, I was looking to get one. I was wondering if I would be getting judged for my appearance, which I will.

I read it and...you're a frakkin retard.
Quote by Wisthekiller
I read it and...you're a frakkin retard.

I'm 15 now. I have to be 16 to get a job. My lip is lacking a ring. I was looking to get one.

Is it really that complicated?
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

Quote by TheBigProjekt
I'm 15 now. I have to be 16 to get a job. My lip is lacking a ring. I was looking to get one.

Is it really that complicated?

Just ignore him. He's already been reported.
Most places will, but you can still work at places like hot topic and pac sun. Almost everywhere will care if your hair looks clean. Don't be one of those nasty-ass, greasy haired metalhead types. It looks disgusting anyway. Also, it's not really that the managers will be prejudiced toward your appearance. It's companies that don't want facial piercings or long hair because it looks unprofessional and they're trying to attract customers to increase revenue.
they're complete dumbasses if they'd rather have someone who's incompetent but who has "normal" hair.

That's not to say they're not complete dumbasses, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Honestly, the piercing is your main concern. The web designer on my departement has long hair.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Dave_Mc
they're complete dumbasses if they'd rather have someone who's incompetent but who has "normal" hair.

That's not to say they're not complete dumbasses, of course.

Sounds like employers to me. It depends on where you're looking for jobs, if you have a piercing and look for jobs as a homemade cookies salesman you might find it difficult, but if it's for some alternative gothic lifestyle shop you have better luck.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Tie your hair back, it shows you've made some effort to present yourself suitably. If you're not entirely comfortable with it, it's just a sacrifice you'll have to make.
Quote by Kensai
Sounds like employers to me. It depends on where you're looking for jobs, if you have a piercing and look for jobs as a homemade cookies salesman you might find it difficult, but if it's for some alternative gothic lifestyle shop you have better luck.

that's what i meant

and yeah agreed about the type of job.

and much as i hate to admit it, occasionally they can be right- i mean if you're scaring off customers (customers can be dumbasses too), that's not really going to help the business...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Personally the only thing stopping me from dying my hair red/blue is job prospects - because i mean you will get looked at turned away.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Definitely avoid the lip piercing. Most jobs won't allow it. At least none where you come into contact with potential customers, which is mostly the type of job you'll be able to find at your age.

The hair isn't as much of a problem, but some places do have policies regarding hair length and such. Your best bet would be to ask the employer during the interview. If they have a policy about long hair, assure them you will be willing to cut it if you are hired.
Page 1 of 2