Hey Pit, I'm making an arrangement of Rust In Peace... Polaris by Megadeth for my school's pep band. I am getting very far, just need an ending, part splitting (copying and pasting, chord arranging), and a bit of the vocals/bass thrown into certain parts, and the dreaded part... the part for battery percussion. Pep band is basically a marching band sitting down, sans marimbas, synthesizers, and all other over sized instruments. Battery is the same thing as a drum line, for which I do not know how to write music for. So I have a few questions (opinions gladly accepted) about making this work:

1. How do I write drum sheet music, and what drumming terms should I know

2. Which is best in your opinion: turning down the tempo in order to get a more accurate to original part, or watering down the part (at a reasonable level) but keeping the tempo high?

3. Discuss/Suggest other songs to arrange/Criticize
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"
Let them listen to it and do what they want, in my experience, drumlines never ever play what they're supposed to and even their drum instructors (if the school has them) heavily modify their parts.

Your marching band has synths? Best marching band ever.

Drum notation isn't that hard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percussion_notation

EDIT: Do you know anything about arrangement? If you don't, it might sound like shit.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Let them listen to it and do what they want, in my experience, drumlines never ever play what they're supposed to and even their drum instructors (if the school has them) heavily modify their parts.

This. Our marching band (which was also the pep band) was good enough to hire arrangers for all of our shows. They would write percussion, then the instructors (and sometimes the drum line themselves) would scrap that shit and write good parts.

If you have no experience writing drums, anything you try to do for a full drumline is going to suck. No offense meant, but I highly doubt you will be able to arrange for 5 bass drums, tenors, snares, and cymbals.

Quote by Holy Katana
Your marching band has synths? Best marching band ever.

My high school field shows usually had two synth players, an electronic drum kit, and, one year, a sampler/DJ rig. We were second in the entire TOB in our first year of competition, without a marching drumline. Our director wasn't employed by the school and had 100% creative freedom.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Last edited by Das_Skittles at Aug 16, 2010,
I think you should get some people that know the instrument and ask for advise... btw, wow, Rust in Peace by so many instruments would be certainly awesome, please make a vid and show us!

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Or tell you percusisionist to listen the original song, and let them improv some shit hahahaa

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Quote by Das_Skittles
This. Our marching band (which was also the pep band) was good enough to hire arrangers for all of our shows. They would write percussion, then the instructors (and sometimes the drum line themselves) would scrap that shit and write good parts.

If you have no experience writing drums, anything you try to do for a full drumline is going to suck. No offense meant, but I highly doubt you will be able to arrange for 5 bass drums, tenors, snares, and cymbals.

My high school field shows usually had two synth players, an electronic drum kit, and, one year, a sampler/DJ rig. We were second in the entire TOB in our first year of competition, without a marching drumline. Our director wasn't employed by the school and had 100% creative freedom.

I wasn't in marching band (just concert), but the director was pretty conservative. He liked a wide variety of music, but there's no way he'd have anything unconventional in his arrangements. Not even guitars or anything. My cousin played guitar in marching band at his school.
I'm not too familiar with drumlines but seeing as how most of the players have just one drum each, you should be able to use a single line staff with note rhythms.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm not too familiar with drumlines but seeing as how most of the players have just one drum each, you should be able to use a single line staff with note rhythms.

In a drumline, only the snare parts are written that way. Tenor drums are a set of four or five drums on one harness. Then there are four to six bass drums, which are treated as one cohesive unit, and read off of one part. It would be unnecessarily complicated to split those parts up, both for the arranger and the drummers.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Damaged Roses
I think you should get some people that know the instrument and ask for advise... btw, wow, Rust in Peace by so many instruments would be certainly awesome, please make a vid and show us!

Thanks for the idea, I'll post it up when its done!

Oh ya, we have 2 synths, 2 electronic drum sets, guitarist, bassist, last year there was a theremin, but I do believe I play the coolest instrument in the show, a bass trombone: it goes about a fourth lower than the average Bb tuba player, and I can get as high as normal, lower, trumpet literature (4 whole octaves (able to play scales in 4 octaves including the high octave)+a fourth).

and now I am off to finish the tonal part of the score...
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"