I've been playing for 2 years, but I haven't thought about setting up a practice schedule until now. Thing is, I'm having difficulty setting one up. Not exactly sure what I should practice or play, how long I should practice or play something, etc. Any tips?
Quote by Noslo13
How much time do you usually have in a day to practice?

I'm on Summer vacation right now, so I've got pretty much all day, though I'm starting school on Tuesday so the all day schedule won't last long.
Ye doesn't need a schedule, thy practice shall yield more if ye practices when YOU WANT TO.
I would practice as much as you're able. If you have 8 hours a day to practice, then you should do it. It worked for Petrucci.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by Zeletros
Ye doesn't need a schedule, thy practice shall yield more if ye practices when YOU WANT TO.

I hear ya, though I really want to improve and I feel that I should push myself to do so.
I usually devote about two hours a day to guitar. I spend about 15 minutes practicing scales and figuring out basic theory stuff, followed by an hour practicing whatever song I decided to learn (learning songs is just my favorite thing to do, you may want to spend significantly less time on this if you are more interested in writing your own music. I do firmly believe that learning songs is important, there are loads of benefits to it). Then I do 15 minutes of sweeping practice (because I'm garbage at it) and then just mess around. I don't just hit random notes and power chords, I usually try to make use of the scales and techniques I practiced earlier so that I know how to use them, and not just how to do them.
Quote by Shredderman8160
Thanks. I think I'll start with an hour schedule and slowly work my way up.

I find it helpful to map out what I am going to practice and why. Keep notes of before and after your sessions especially. I think this is how you can get the most effective use of your practice time. Works for me anyway.
dont let it become a burden though, it could turn you off. though practice makes perfect.but if you begin despising it. you will inevitably slow your progress. thats just from personal experience, but i say go with what you know
IMHO, i think an hour a day is GOOD. if you have time...

BUT, what you practice counts just as much as anything else...

a simple rule i go by is this: if you practice HARD stuff, and repeat it a LOT, it will get EASY!

so a lot of what practice really is is playing one thing over and over and over and over...

set up a metronome and repeat a hard lick up to 100 times, then increase your tempo. This will improve muscle memory, which is something that shredders often rely upon for speed.

good luck!
Quote by cringer
I find it helpful to map out what I am going to practice and why. Keep notes of before and after your sessions especially. I think this is how you can get the most effective use of your practice time. Works for me anyway.

this, make a word document on what you do
itll keep track of what you progress on, so in 6 months you can look back and be like wow i remember when i couldnt do that.

usually i map out about a week or two in a schedule. set up Goals, song(s) i want to practice/play, things i need too improve on. then i see what i do well on, and what need more improving etc. then keep going.

and lastly i set up monthly and year goals what i want to be able to do in 3 months, 6 months etc.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.