Today I picked up an old Univox tape echo unit, the Stage Echo EM-350, which according to Google, doesn't really exist all that much. I got a pretty great deal on the thing & it's pretty functional, save for the fact that it doesn't produce actual delays (I had no opportunity to try it out, sadly). It does, however, seem to be in 95% working order otherwise: it turns on, things whir and spin as they should, lights turn on, and I can even play through it and it colours my signal with some analog hiss, but doesn't actually "echo" or delay or anything.
Could anyone help me out, any ideas what's going on? It seems to be the same basic hardware as other Univox units, so general tape-related help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Can you post pictures? I'm not familiar with the unit. The recording head could be damaged or non functional, the playback head could be damaged or non functional, the tape could be utter shit or you may just have it set to bypass.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Two headed device yes? Check that the second head is working, tap it gently with something iron, like a screwdriver.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by forsaknazrael
ya. pics plox.

it sounds interesting. What's a "good deal", for a non working tape echo?

$50 CDN. And hey, it's mostly working, sort of!

Quote by Cathbard
Two headed device yes? Check that the second head is working, tap it gently with something iron, like a screwdriver.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and accept the fact I don't know anything about these types of units, so what exactly would I be looking/listening for when I tap it? Should I have the unit on?

And here's a close-up of its innards: http://i34.tinypic.com/287hd7l.jpg
They are just normal old tape deck heads (more or less). One writes the other reads. When you tap the read head lightly with a screwdriver you will hear it go thunk. It has to be on of course.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification