I really want to get these two, though I keep doing sessions for this band program where I play lots of punk and classic rock, and I'm not sure if EMG's are suitable for those, as the stock pickups I have are just fine for those. When do you think would be the right time to buy them? When I join a heavy metal band outside the program or what? Should I even be worrying about that right now?

Sorry if I sound like a noob, I'm not familiar with pickups much.
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
i just bought a set of 81tw/85 and play all sorts of stuff?
although most of it is punk and classic rock, if its brutal stuff then the EMGs would work. btw if its to go into ur explorer which is genuinely that old don't change anything on it!
buy a new guitar
Quote by ryaniomitch
i just bought a set of 81tw/85 and play all sorts of stuff?
although most of it is punk and classic rock, if its brutal stuff then the EMGs would work. btw if its to go into ur explorer which is genuinely that old don't change anything on it!
buy a new guitar

It's mostly Offspring and Green Day. Nothing brutal.

I guess I'll at least test it one day and see how it does. Wouldn't hurt to experiment, would it?

I'm not sure if it's actually that old, I'm just sure that's when it was first being made, and I think that's what many websites were calling it.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
I've got 81/60 in my guitar and IMO they sound great when playing classic rock or even blues
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

Guyz, if you get emgs with a guitar, its fine. BUT I CANT STAND HOW PEOPLE CAN BUY THE STANDARDS ANYMORE. Yes, you heard me. STANDARDS. Everyone who plays emgs should check out the X-series, it kicks more ass than... I do! Srsly, check them out. They sound incredible! From crystal cleans to Bodom.
Quote by fc89konkari
Guyz, if you get emgs with a guitar, its fine. BUT I CANT STAND HOW PEOPLE CAN BUY THE STANDARDS ANYMORE. Yes, you heard me. STANDARDS. Everyone who plays emgs should check out the X-series, it kicks more ass than... I do! Srsly, check them out. They sound incredible! From crystal cleans to Bodom.

Or just do the 18V mod on the standards

Quote by ryaniomitch
btw if its to go into ur explorer which is genuinely that old don't change anything on it!
buy a new guitar
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Aug 16, 2010,
First get a tube amp, then worry about pickups.

Also, Active pickups + solid state modelling amp =
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
First get a tube amp, then worry about pickups.

Also, Active pickups + solid state modelling amp =

I had a feeling a Vypyr 15 wouldn't go well with active pickups.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Then you don't know how to use them

*Carrot likes this*

TS, new amp.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
If your current pickups are good for what you play, then why on earth would you want to change them?

I'd say just drop the thought, because it sounds like you don't really need them, you just like the idea of them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah, I do like the idea, but you're right, I should worry about it when I absolutely need them. Sorry to take your time.

But just out of curiosity, what kind of amp is good with EMGs?
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Then you don't know how to use them

No I know how to use them. I just don't like them, at all Of course, with modifications and tweaking with various types of effects, gear, electronics etc. you can make most things sound good but... inherently I am simply not a fan of actives. Well I won't knock stuff I haven't tried. I'll say that I dislike active EMG's, and that the way active pups work do not seem appealing to me.
Quote by Metallon
No I know how to use them. I just don't like them, at all Of course, with modifications and tweaking with various types of effects, gear, electronics etc. you can make most things sound good but... inherently I am simply not a fan of actives. Well I won't knock stuff I haven't tried. I'll say that I dislike active EMG's, and that the way active pups work do not seem appealing to me.

Different strokes..

I like a good set of passives myself but for modern metal actives are great at pushing a nice tube amp
Quote by Shredderman8160
Yeah, I do like the idea, but you're right, I should worry about it when I absolutely need them. Sorry to take your time.

But just out of curiosity, what kind of amp is good with EMGs?

tube amps. The EMGs push the tubes even harder so u get more gain.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt