im planning on building my own guitar, but i havent decided on a wood yet. this is my first build so i dont rly know whats best

the shape is going to be somewhat like a mockingbird, and im gonna use some seymour duncan pups, im thinking alnico II pro at the neck and either sh15 alternative 8 or sh5 custom at the bridge. i mostly play hard rock, but i also like a bit of funk, classic rock, and blues once in a while

so aside from all this, im still unsure on wut wood to get for the body

all advice welcome, lemme know if i missed anything important, thanks
Check out the Ultimate Tone Wood thread. You can find a link to it in the GB&C Essential Links sticky.

You say funk though, and I think swamp ash
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
For standard woods mahogany might be best.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Another option may be Alder with an ash top, since alder has been a great hard rock and blues wood for a while. Swamp ash will add some funk in with it, and it's a fairly unique combo that isn't done often.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

I would go for Alder for a number of reasons:
- Takes Paint Well
- Fairly Inexpensive
- Well Balanced, Tonally
- Cuts Through The Mix Well
- Not Over Bright or Dark - Somewhere Between

I also believe it would work well with an Alternative 8 (not too clued up on the SH5), depending on the neck woods of course (Maple/Rosewood?)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I'd go with Poplar or Mahogany depending on the tone you are after.

Mahogany is warm with good sustain, well rounded top end, and full low end. The drawback of mahogany is that it's expensive. Some people think mahogany is lacking in top end.

Poplar sounds similar to alder, which is the classic material for guitars like strats and tele's, but poplar has better sustain and a bit more cut. I think the overall tonal quality of poplar far exceeds the tone of alder. The drawback of poplar is that it's kind of ugly so you have to use a solid finish. The major plus with poplar is that it's one of the cheapest toneswoods on the market (because it needs a solid finish) which means that if you make a huge mistake and have to start the body over, it's not going to cost much to redo it.
^ Oooh... professional opinion on poplar *takes note for the strat body he wants to get*

Stupid name.

im going to be using a rosewood fingerboard. i was thinking mahogany but i wasnt rly to sure if that was the right choice
mahogany by me is only 5.75/board foot... same with sapele. poplar is like a buck, tho LoL.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Its $5.75 per unit. I don't remember exactly what a board foot is, but its a size measurement.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by ladna
wut do u mean by 5.75/board foot

5.75 dollars a board of wood

And I would get just alder. Mahogany doesnt suound funky to me. Does it take cleans well at all?

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
i dont rly want to change the wood just cuz i play funk every once in a while. i rly mostly play hard rock, and a bit of classic rock and blues. i dont think its worth a whole other just for a side genre. and i dont see how mahogany is 5.75 a board because every pieve i can find on the internet thats even just african mahogany is atleast $60ish
ok well aside from what wood, where should i go to get it? it doesnt seem like a lumberyard will sell me the right size, let alone have some mahogany thats of decent quality. i live near vancouver bc, if theres anyone here who knows of somewhere near me
Quote by haceteunosmates
5.75 dollars a board of wood

And I would get just alder. Mahogany doesnt suound funky to me. Does it take cleans well at all?

no that's not what it means. a board foot is a dimensional measurement of wood based on length/width and thickness. basically, if you have a 5 foot long x 8 inch wide piece of 8/4 wood, you'll have like 6.6 board feet... 4/4 would be 3.3 board feet
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
So that's what that means...

When I went to go take a look at my lumber yard recently I just started measuring boards without any regard to what bf or 4/4 or 8/4 meant . Least I found what I wanted: 8' x 7" x 1 3/4" of Honduran mahogany for $14.99. Seems like a reasonable price to me. The figured top woods are considerably more expensive for a substantially smaller amount of wood.