Page 1 of 2
Whats up guys, I need some advice and/or guidance here.

So I walk into my local Guitar Center and a used 1995 5-string Carvin bass for $600 is staring at me. It's mint, the guy who had it must have really appreciated the instrument. I really like this instrument, plus its at such a low price. The guy at Guitar Center then tells me that the previous owner has now passed on and the family members sold the instrument to Guitar Center. "Frank Slimm" is engraved in the truss rod cover so I assumed that was the previous owner. I googled it and sure enough he died at the age of 55 in March of this year of what seems to be cancer.

My question for you is would you buy this bass Pit? I mean, I would have no problem if a guy didn't want the instrument anymore, but since the bass is in such amazing condition (especially for being 15 years old) I could only imagine how much he loved the instrument and cherished it. Also, essentially it's his. Plus what do yo guys think about bad luck or bad ju ju? (Dumb, I know)

What do you guys think?

TL;DR: Would you buy a great instrument at a cheap price if the owner has passed on?

Cheers,
Mike
Shit yes I would, it's not like he's going to want it back.

Until the zombie apocalypse rolls around, and Frank feels the need to soundtrack it with some funky basslines that is.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Unless youre "Stealing it" or taking it from his grave, I dont see a problem...
If the family has sold it, it cant mean much to them. If you cherish it they way he did im sure he will be happy...
Bad luck isnt really a big deal, unless youre buying it purposely to spite the deceased there once again is no problem
Buy it, leave the truss rod on it as a tribute, (make sure you say this out loud so he can hear you, as SOON as you buy it.)

THEN take good care of it. At least, that's what I'd do, out of respect for the instrument and Frank.
Gear:

Early 90's B.C. Rich STIII N.J. Series, Red Sparkle
1988 Charvel Model 4, Firecrackle - Retired
2003-04s Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, Gray Nickel
Line 6 Spidervalve HD100 MK1 with Marshall VS412
Quote by metacarpi
Shit yes I would, it's not like he's going to want it back.

Until the zombie apocalypse rolls around, and Frank feels the need to soundtrack it with some funky basslines that is.

I nearly cried from laughing so hard

Quote by MetalHeadMat
Buy it, leave the truss rod on it as a tribute, (make sure you say this out loud so he can hear you, as SOON as you buy it.)

THEN take good care of it. At least, that's what I'd do, out of respect for the instrument and Frank.

I've thought about this, but whenever I'd see "Frank Slimm" I'd probably feel like crap
Yeah by the way you make it sound like he cherished the instrument, if you felt the same way towards it and didn't go ahead and smash it onstage or something, It'd be great.

This thread reminds me that I want a bass

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
I am sure it'll sound... killer.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I do apologize for that one
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by MH400
Buy it, man. If you don't, then someone else will.

True

Thanks guys, all of this feedback is definitely reinforcing my decision of buying it and making me feel less crappy about it in the process. Plus it would be pretty dumb for me to pass it up, I mean the instrument looks like pure sex. Maple neck-thru with koa wings and a high gloss finish, insta-boner.
buy it, and take the same good care of it he did. thats the best thing you could do for the instrument.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
buy it, respect it, cherish it like he did. keep its legacy going.

if someone was to buy my pawned prized posession after i died, i would look down from heaven with tears of joy to see someone caring for it like i did, and it would make my day to see someone use it to make art and fulfill dreams.

no bad luck if you respect it.
Quote by Ledhead82048
Whats up guys, I need some advice and/or guidance here.

So I walk into my local Guitar Center and a used 1995 5-string Carvin bass for $600 is staring at me. It's mint, the guy who had it must have really appreciated the instrument. I really like this instrument, plus its at such a low price. The guy at Guitar Center then tells me that the previous owner has now passed on and the family members sold the instrument to Guitar Center. "Frank Slimm" is engraved in the truss rod cover so I assumed that was the previous owner. I googled it and sure enough he died at the age of 55 in March of this year of what seems to be cancer.

My question for you is would you buy this bass Pit? I mean, I would have no problem if a guy didn't want the instrument anymore, but since the bass is in such amazing condition (especially for being 15 years old) I could only imagine how much he loved the instrument and cherished it. Also, essentially it's his. Plus what do yo guys think about bad luck or bad ju ju? (Dumb, I know)

What do you guys think?

TL;DR: Would you buy a great instrument at a cheap price if the owner has passed on?

Cheers,
Mike

I have a few antiques, a music cabinet (for storing sheet music) dating from around 1890, a pre-1930s Lloyd Loom bedroom chair and linen basket, an Edwardian corner cabinet and a family Bible that goes back at least 10 generations.

My point is, all of these have had not one but several owners before I owned them, all of which are dead now, and all of which, it is assumed, loved them enough to care for them judging from the condition they are all in.

Bad luck associated with the dead is just mumbo jumbo, what difference can someone being dead make to a solid inert object? I dunno what your beliefs are, but personaly I feel that seeing as how our conciousness is generated by a living brain, then no conciousness can exist without a living brain, so I really cannot forsee any problems with a 'dead man's' spirit, but if you do happen to believe in the afterlife, then look at it this way, if the guy loved the instrument, wouldn't he have wanted someone who really appreciates it to own it and use it?
You should buy it, and destroy it.

That way, the soul of the instrument can return to Frank, where he can continue to cherish it in his afterlife.

He'll be so grateful, he'll send good Juju your way.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
You sound like someone who could appreciate the instrument as much as the previous owner did. You've already demonstrated your respect for both the man and the bass; if you don't buy it, it could fall into the hands of some punk 13-year-old who wants to use it to get some ass.

I say go for it, and soon.
memorise this...when people ask you about your bass...I reckon it would be cool.

SLIMM- Frank W., 55, of LITTLE FALLS died Wednesday. Born in Paterson, NJ, Mr. Slimm resided in Little Falls for his entire life. He was a Senior Building Maintenance Worker with the New Jersey State Police in Little Falls. Mr. Slimm was a member of The Handyman Club. He enjoyed model railroading, working on cars and was the bass player for the band, Moxxie. Mr. Slimm also enjoyed cake making and stained glass work. He was predeceased by his father, Samuel Slimm, in 1982. Survivors include: his mother, Alice Dolan Slimm; his sister, Deborah C. Slimm, both of Little Falls; his aunt and uncle, Carol and Stephen Florkewicz of Maryland and his cousins, Lynette Wink and Paul Florkewicz. Funeral Services will be 9:30 am Saturday at Bizub-Parker Funeral Home, 47 Main Street, Little Falls. Interment to follow at Rest land Memorial Park, E. Hanover. Visitation on Friday from 2-4 & 7-9 pm. In lieu of flowers, please make contributions to American Cancer Society, 20 Mercer St., Hackensack, NJ 07601. Visit www.bizub.com for driving directions/ online condolences.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by MetalHeadMat

+1

if you feel bad about it you could even concider contacting one of his relatives.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Aug 16, 2010,
Looks like we all agree that you should buy it and cherish it like he did

Go buy it, mate.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400

Go buy it, mate.

That.
buy it then write a song called 'frank slimm'.

really though, he's dead.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
What the ****? How is this even an issue?

The guy is dead. Nothing belongs to him anymore. What do you want to do, bury the bass? If he took good care of it, then it should go to a good home where it will continue receiving good care.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by metacarpi
You should buy it, and destroy it.

That way, the soul of the instrument can return to Frank, where he can continue to cherish it in his afterlife.

He'll be so grateful, he'll send good Juju your way.

If I wanted /b/'s answers I would've gone there, haha

Quote by MH400

Go buy it, mate.

Sounds like a plan, thanks guys.
Buy it. Frank Slimm is a badass name to have carved on the truss rod cover anyway.
I would have no problem with it.

Though that would be something I would bring out for special events, and just use a regular guitar/bass all other times.

But yeah man go for it, seems like a good deal to me
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Buy it and take awesome care of it.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I say buy it, cherish it as much as Frank did.
I'm sure the soul of Frank will call to you through the bass, and inspire you to write awesome bass-lines.

Plus, if you don't, count on someone else buying it and treating it like something you use once and then smash.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Aug 16, 2010,
Yeah it's cool with me. I go into charity shops all the time and buy clothes people have died in. There's just something magical about it. It's perfectly normal.
Quote by leg end
Yeah it's cool with me. I go into charity shops all the time and buy clothes people have died in. There's just something magical about it. It's perfectly normal.

That only gets weird when you have to wear the clothes to get off.
Quote by MightyAl
That only gets weird when you have to wear the clothes to get off.

>_>

<_<

Frankly, I would have no problem with it. But to be frank, if you're gunna name the bass, you need to call it Frank. Just outta respect, ya know?
Quote by leg end
>_>

<_<

Frankly, I would have no problem with it. But to be frank, if you're gunna name the bass, you need to call it Frank. Just outta respect, ya know?

Frankly Frank is a good name for a bass.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Frankly Frank is a good name for a bass.

Frank is also a good name for a guinea pig.
Quote by MightyAl
Frank is also a good name for a guinea pig.
Ginge

Yeah we had a guinea pig exactly like that. We called her ginger. But you know that rumour about people putting hamsters up their ass with a tube? Doesn't work for guinea pigs...

EDIT: You have a guinea pig called Frank? Wow, chances of that musta been pretty slimm...
Last edited by leg end at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by leg end
Yeah we had a guinea pig exactly like that. We called her ginger. But you know that rumour about people putting hamsters up their ass with a tube? Doesn't work for guinea pigs...

EDIT: You have a guinea pig called Frank? Wow, chances of that musta been pretty slimm...

I did, he died about 3 and a bit years ago
Quote by MightyAl
I did, he died about 3 and a bit years ago

Yeah mine died as well. Apparently they're not as immortal as the shop keeper said they'd be. Fireworks gave her a heart attack. Poor bugger.

Anyway, I think Frank Slimm would be an AWESOME name for a blues player. And it'd have a story behind it.
Quote by MetalHeadMat

... he can't exactly hear you. But I agree, leave it on there as tribute, even though you didn't know him. If you don't, whoever buys it probably won't.
Never use a dead guys gear.

Thats how you get shot in the war, its bad luck.

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Bad luck associated with the dead is just mumbo jumbo, what difference can someone being dead make to a solid inert object? I dunno what your beliefs are, but personaly I feel that seeing as how our conciousness is generated by a living brain, then no conciousness can exist without a living brain, so I really cannot forsee any problems with a 'dead man's' spirit, but if you do happen to believe in the afterlife, then look at it this way, if the guy loved the instrument, wouldn't he have wanted someone who really appreciates it to own it and use it?

Isn't that kind of... fallacious?
If I had something like that that I'd loved and cared for for 15 years, I'd rather somebody else bought it after I was gone and also took good care of it, than it rotting forever in some cupboard at a relative's house
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Page 1 of 2