hey there guys, just pondering about improving my tone to get the nice metalcore/metal/shred tone in the bag. My current rig is as follows:
-Digitech Rp-500
- Ibanez rgr421exfm (Reverse headstock, stock V7, V8 shitty pickups).
- Randall Rg 75.
(Very far from "Something special")
I think the first place to start is my pickups, im thinking of refitting them with a set of emgs (81/60). for my "dirty" setting i use the amp overdrive and boost with the digitech pedalboards 808 distortion, for cleans i use the pedalboard preset + clean channel. In clean everything is alright, but distortion wise it missing a lot, for solos/riffing it always sounds too muddy, crowded and plain ****in horrible.

If anyone can point me in the direction of where to start at, it would be greatly appreciated.

I guess this will be meat for the trolls =S. Hopefully i can get some useful information.
Honestly I think it's time you invest in a better amp. Active pups aren't going to do much for your tone through a SS amp. I think you're gonna need to think to yourself what exactly do you want from your tone?

Do you use all the effects on your RP-500? I know most people with Multi FX only use a fraction of the features and tbh if you do it's just wasted space. Your guitar is fine for the moment as long it's comfortable to play. It sounds to me like you're ready to step up to the next level and your amp is the best place to start.

What tones are you after?
Do you really need all the FX in your digitech?
Are you gigging and can you go used?

Food for thought; If you can sell your amp and pedal and put together some money and form a budget i'm willing to bet you could score a pretty sweet amp with great distortion and cleans.
Pickups are actually one of the last things you want to refine. They account for about 5% of your tone.

I tend to think about gear along these lines:

First you need a guitar that is comfortable to play. It doesn't need to be high end, it just shouldn't be hindering you. After that, you need to focus on the amp. This will account for most of your tone. Then look at speakers, pickups, and tubes.

Obviously this will change a lot depending on each persons specific needs, but if you follow the general idea you should be fine.

It seems to me like you're most in need of an amp upgrade. What would your budget look like?
Quote by denied
Pickups are actually one of the last things you want to refine. They account for about 5% of your tone.
I tend to think about gear along these lines:

First you need a guitar that is comfortable to play. It doesn't need to be high end, it just shouldn't be hindering you. After that, you need to focus on the amp. This will account for most of your tone. Then look at speakers, pickups, and tubes.

Obviously this will change a lot depending on each persons specific needs, but if you follow the general idea you should be fine.

It seems to me like you're most in need of an amp upgrade. What would your budget look like?
I agree with you there. You really need a decent amp if you want to have a nice tone.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
My budget would be around 1k-1.75k. i don't mind paying a extra few to get something which slays a amp around my figure.
If that is US dollars you can look at a used Peavey 5150II/6505+ or a Mesa Dual Rectifier and you will have (the potential for) pretty much perfect Metalcore tone
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Aug 16, 2010,
^ + infinity.

Oh, and don't forget a noise suppressor, if you don't already have one those are kind of important.

Your guitar is fine, your pickups will do, their fine enough - you really just need a new amp. I guarantee that if you get either of the two amps AxSilentxLine recommended, you won't even be on the internet anymore because you'll be too busy creaming your pants from your own tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
He won't get a herbert on that budget unless he scores an epic deal used. The new Mesa dual rec is pure awesome but the old 3 channel ones are just as good as long as you but something through the fx loop (from my experience at least). Also look into the peavey 5150/6505, most metalcore bands I know of have use those. I'd say look at the suggestions generated from this thread and then go to a shop and try out as many of those as you can.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.