Hi, I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Engl Screamer 50?

I have heard on the grapevine that it still sounds great at a really quiet bedroom volume... is this true? The reason I ask is that i'd have to sell my bedroom rig to help fund getting this amp. Ideally I'd like a gigging amp and a bedroom amp separate, but if the Engl sounds great quiet then it may be worth it...

Also, £400 for the head is great yeah?
Yes!!!

I love mine.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
yeah engls generally sound pretty good at quieter volumes as they have a fair bit of preamp gain (and it also sounds pretty good on its own), though bear in mind it'll sound better cranked up a bit too. And it depends on what you mean by bedroom volume, if you mean absolute whisper volume....
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no not absolute whisper volume. Its hard to describe volume levels without some sort of generally accepted reference... The sort of volume that would drown your telly out if you were listening to that at a normal sort of level. (a ridiculous example, sorry) Im not looking to have something so quiet I can play at midnight, I just don't want the walls to shake or my neighbours to phone the police.

I play in a very small room and often play at a volume that is only just comfortable... sounds like the Engl could cope with that. thanks for both of your replys
Quote by Dave_Mc
And it depends on what you mean by bedroom volume, if you mean absolute whisper volume....

This. The Engl sounds great at any position of the master volume, but with a 50w amp, the master goes from zero to plenty loud without anything inbetween. If you don't want anyone to hear you, ever, this won't work. It's about as loud as a loud tv-set for bedroom use. If you live in a very small room or have thin walls, it might be too much.

EDIT: ^Seems like it'd be fine for you.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 16, 2010,
My screamer sounded superb at bedroom levels mate!
However I did use an mxr gt od to boost it.
The cleans were great at low volume to, definitely a great amp, built like a TANK to
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
awesome, thanks for the replies. I'll definitely consider it... I wasn't going to spend this kind of money but then I saw the Engl... just have to see whether I can truly justify that kind of money!
I want an ENGL for that cheap...
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by TheQuailman
This. The Engl sounds great at any position of the master volume, but with a 50w amp, the master goes from zero to plenty loud without anything inbetween. If you don't want anyone to hear you, ever, this won't work. It's about as loud as a loud tv-set for bedroom use. If you live in a very small room or have thin walls, it might be too much.

EDIT: ^Seems like it'd be fine for you.

yeah it sounds like it'd be probably fine at those kind of levels, though trying it out first at similar levels would help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IMO the screamer sounds great at low volumes - I never really have mine above 1 lol. TS, given your username it should probably be pointed out that although the screamer is a very versatile amp, it probably won't get you a very good Slash tone.

Also if anyone wants a cheap screamer combo I'm selling mine (for a number of reasons, none of which is that it's a bad amp!)
not getting a Slash tone isn't the biggest issue for me... its in the fingers anyway

trying it out would be great if I could... nowhere I can get to stocks it. I really want to try the new Laney Cub 12r but I have the same problem (to be honest a 15w valve amp would be more than enough anyway... my sights aren't set any higher than a jam down my local)

Im not sure what to do... I hate blind buying anything.

The screamer does look versatile, but i'm not particularly versatile so most of it would be wasted on me anyway. Im just looking for a decent rock tone that doesnt crumble when the volume goes up (currently using a tonelab into keyboard amp which is great in the bedroom, not so great in a band situation).

Maybe the screamer would be overkill... but at that price... hmm...
i haven't tried the laney but most of those lower wattage amps are much lower in gain and probably aren't what you want. slash isn't mega high gain but it's not really vintage amounts of gain either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
true, but with it being lower powered, couldnt a decent overdrive push the amp into Slash territory? (By Slash territory, im not trying to match his tone, but rather am using the amount of gain typically associated with that sound as a reference, as the sort of music I play is similar)
depends on the amp and how well it takes a boost, i guess. my marshall 18 watter takes a boost pretty well and can hit slash lead tones, but i've tried other lower wattage amps (especially the single enders, they seem especially prone) where it's almost like you're hitting a brick wall, and everything is just really square-edged once you get past a certain point.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hmm i guess testing them is the only way to find out... shame thats not an option!

Cheers for your help
yeah, there's the problem, we all face it, there's tons of stuff I'd love to be able to try but I can't, and then it's a judgement call as to whether you trust your instincts/educated guesses enough to take a chance without trying it Glad I could help a little, sorry I couldn't help more.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?