like the title says, could some one help me understand what is the difference between them
Quote by MalZenen
like the title says, could some one help me understand what is the difference between them

Active pickups require batteries to operate, give a better tone because of the preamp in them and allows for a wider frequency of sound to be played. This isn't necessary a good thing depending on what kind of sound you want for your guitar which is why passive pickups are still preferred by most guitarist
Quote by sealtain
Active pickups require batteries to operate, give a better tone because of the preamp in them and allows for a wider frequency of sound to be played. This isn't necessary a good thing depending on what kind of sound you want for your guitar which is why passive pickups are still preferred by most guitarist

+1

I find the active pickups too dry for my liking... but thats me!
Samick AV6
Yamaha RGX 121z
Zoom G2 Processor
Digitech RP 80
Marshall CD15
Roland cube 30x
Quote by sealtain
What this guy said. This is why they also usually sound better in guitars with more than 6 strings, due to the ability to pick up and clarify the lower bass notes those low strings produce.

Other than that, I've discovered actives really aren't my thing. Which is most of the reason why I only ever play my MH anymore.
Basically the difference is Passive pickups are basically a magnet wrapped with multiple thousands of turns of wire. When the strings vibrate, they generate electrical current. Active pickups are basically a weaker version of a passive pickup (far fewer wraps of wire, and a much weaker magnet) hooked up to a battery powered preamp that boosts the signal.

The benefits and drawbacks of each are:

Passives
+usually more versatile
+often much cheaper than actives
-have EQ spikes
-can be VERY expensive, think $300+ each
-much noisier than actives

Actives
+quiet
+flatter EQ
+simpler to wire*
-can be considered sterile sounding
-requires batteries
-often not especially versatile
-not especially cheap, $100+ each is normal.

*when replacing active pickups with active pickups, usually there is only a few sockets to pull out and place in a new active pickup. However, when going from passive to active and vice versa, this requires a rewire of the whole guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by oneblackened

The benefits and drawbacks of each are:

Passives
+usually more versatile
+often much cheaper than actives
-have EQ spikes
-can be VERY expensive, think $300+ each
-much noisier than actives

Uh, what? Maybe for some super rare boutique pickups, but there are plenty of good passive pickups can cost less than $100
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
Uh, what? Maybe for some super rare boutique pickups, but there are plenty of good passive pickups can cost less than $100

note the CAN BE part. I didn't say they were always that expensive. As a matter of fact, if you'd read the entire thing, you would have noticed I said they're usually cheaper.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ask in the Bass guitar forum. With your own topic.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by sealtain
give a better tone because of the preamp in them

This is totally opinion.

If you look at all the greatest guitar tones of all time, the majority of them are from passive pickups.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.