Hello UG

So after much consideration and searching of what was the ideal 2x12 combo for me, I decided on the revered Vox AC30, the sound of the British Invasion. And I picked up my very own one today.

This is the Vox AC30 6TBX. The 6 means it has 6 inputs (high and low for normal brilliant and vib-trem); the TB means it is the Top-Boost model; and the X means it has Celestion AlNiCo Blue speakers. It is from 1993, made entirely in England during the so-called Korg era (one of Vox's many owners over the years). Nothing Chinese here. It is simply 30 W of all-valve all-British goodness.

As mentioned before, it has two Celestion Blues, and to hear these things in the flesh is a treat. The sound from my otherwise ordinary Strat is unbelievable. It is so smooth, so thick and creamy. Compared to the amp sitting next to it (a Roland Cube 60, which I really like) it's so amazingly good. I can't really describe it properly.

Like a Marshall stack, the Vox AC30 is so visually iconic that people in an audience who would not know a Mesa/Boogie Road King from a Behringer amp will know that this is something special.

Another thing - this amp is LOUD. This is the sort of amp that gives credence to the whole tube watts vs solid state watts misunderstanding. It is stupidly loud. It's living in my bedroom for the next few days, and I haven't got it up past 1/3 volume yet, because I was getting complaints at 1/4 volume.

Sound wise - you can plug in and get a Beatles tone. It's that easy. This is supposedly the most faithful recreation of the 1963 AC30, and it does the job better than the current model AC30 CC, which I tried out in a store recently. What it will NOT do is give you a Brian May tone easily. I haven't got that one yet.

It's a clean amp, and it won't even begin to break up at volumes I can stand. So you do need a drive pedal to get that iconic Vox tone.

A proper review will be forthcoming soon, but for now suffice it to say that this amp is everything I hoped it would be when I tested it. It's basic, but it's superb. From the little while I have had it, I am pretty confident in saying that the only better sounding AC30 would be the original.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Sweet dude.

HNAD!!!
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
Thanks for the HNAD wishes guys.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Some day I want to try out a Vox AC15 or AC30.

You should try and get your hands on an English-made one - I briefly mentioned the current model Chinese-made AC30 CC series above, which I was not blown away by, especially considering that new they are more than twice what I paid for this baby. Better yet, have a go from a genuine 1960s model, if you can ever get close to one.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
congrats my friend! that is a nice looking amplifier
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Nice HNAD!

For a Brian May tone you are going to need a treble booster.
And a Red Special.
And long curly hair
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain