I'm really liking the big muff due to how full and powerful it sounds.

However, it is a very popular pedal to go with although a lot of people don't tend to like it due to it not being 100% fuzz and sounds like an overdrive pedal too.

I'm into such things as RHCP, Hendrix, Motley Crue, Iggy Pop, blues, rock, classic rock etc...

I do like vintage sounding fuzz pedals like Hendrix used, but it doesn't seem very powerful as its pretty thin sounding and i'd like a pedal that has bollocks to it.

If the muff is not the way to go, then what is?

I'v checked out these online:

BYOC Leeds Fuzz
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Zvex Fuzz Factory (borrowing at the moment and am not keen)
Zvex Mastotron
Zvex Wooly Mammoth
MJM London Fuzz
MJM China Fuzz
Wattson Superfuzz
Big John Hairy Balls
Death By Audio Fuzz War
Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz
Malekko Fuzz
Devi Ever Godzilla

and a few others that I cannot remember.

Ideas would be appriciated,

Thanks, Luke
Last edited by moominman2 at Aug 16, 2010,
i really dig the Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, but I think the Big Muff is pretty sweet too. Fuzz pedals all sound a little different to me, each with their own characteristics. I think the only way for you to be able to tell what you like is to go play them yourself and see what you like.
Wattson superfuzz sounds huge...but you won't get a motley crew sound from it
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
The Mastotron and the Musket are both probably too heavy for what you want - they'd be better for things like Smashing Pumpkins or Kyuss or QOTSA, that sorta thing.

The Fuzz War has got a bit of grit and bite to it (only from YT demos though) so that might be more like it. It does sound like you're after a more classic, 60s style fuzz though, rather than something Muffy.
Thats cool man.

Yeah I do like the 60s style stuff, but i'm not much of the trebly thin sounding shizz. I like a bit of beef and power.

I'm thinking it might be worth changing a pickup in my strat before I buy a fuzz now thinking about it. The bridge pup sounds thin and lifeless. It never gets used...So maybe change that first now
The Way Huge Swollen Pickle and Blackout Effectors Musket are both super versatile.
The Musket is better because all the controls are external. The Pickle has two internal trim pots.

The Mastotron is decent, but it sounded a bit digital and sterile to my ears.
I think the big muff is a good bet for you, try using it with a slightly overdriven amp to get some massive sustained midrangey tone too.

The big muff can get pretty heavy depending on how you set the gain though, i can get a pretty good kyuss tone if i need to.
Oh, I think I will buy a big muff now.

Not sure whether to buy a vintage v5 or not though.

Would anyone here have a preference? And why? How much would I be looking to buy a vintage one for?

cheers, much appriciated
Way Huge Swollen Pickle or Blackout Effector's Musket Fuzz. they can get you more than just Muff tones, which is what you're getting when you buy a muff. the Pickle can get you any era of muff tone and then some. Musket fuzz will go anywhere from Axis to Siamese Dream and anywhere between.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.