Many fusion/shred players hybrid picking their arpeggio and legato lines. A good example would be in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igMUrCofBOs

1) I've always wondered why some people seem to hybrid pick right in the middle of a 3 string arpeggio (like he does in the video) instead of just using downstrokes/upstrokes all the way. I can't fathom why that would be more economical, so does it give a slightly different sound?

2) Quite a vague question, but how to players decide what notes will be played using hybrid picking? I've seen players pick some string skipped notes normally but then go on to using hybrid picking for adjacent string stuff.
I guess it's personal choice/preference more than anything.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
It seems to me that hybrid picking has always been something that either comes naturally to a guitarist or it doesn't! I am on the side that has had to teach myself NOT to do it.

The best place I can advocate the use of hybrid picking is during solos such as are heard in Freebird. The bluesy style licks make hybrid picking work even better, such as this tab example:

It seems that hybrid picking is used far LESS in metal. I feel that it is more of a blues/rock technique, and that metal requires the utmost accuracy to be performed correctly. Hybrid picking can sacrifice SOME accuracy because of the difference in sound between picked notes and hybrid picked notes.

Good Luck!
Quote by Timothongz
Many fusion/shred players hybrid picking their arpeggio and legato lines. A good example would be in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igMUrCofBOs

1) I've always wondered why some people seem to hybrid pick right in the middle of a 3 string arpeggio (like he does in the video) instead of just using downstrokes/upstrokes all the way. I can't fathom why that would be more economical, so does it give a slightly different sound?

2) Quite a vague question, but how to players decide what notes will be played using hybrid picking? I've seen players pick some string skipped notes normally but then go on to using hybrid picking for adjacent string stuff.

Hybrid picking has a much smoother sound than picking with the pick does; screw economy of motion, it's obviously just as fast and the tone is more to the player's liking. See Brett Garsed for a perfect application of this.

As for which notes should be which... depends where you want the accents to go and what feels most natural for you in my opinion.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Honestly though - i'm not built for hybrid picking, i simply can't do it. Probably because i just haven't been shown correctly.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
Honestly though - i'm not built for hybrid picking, i simply can't do it. Probably because i just haven't been shown correctly.

I used to find it really awkward as well but I forced myself to use it a lot

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.

Well, say you ascend a 3 string arpeggio with sweep picking. Your pick has just gone past the high e string and the strings which your picking hand can reach most easily are your high e and B.

If you ascend those 3 strings pick middle ring (some would even use middle ring pinky) then you can reach the D and G string with the pick, and you're covering notes on the e and B with the fingers of the right hand.

Secondly, sometimes things are just much easier with the odd pluck - say you have a sequenced arpeggio or an odd fingering, sometimes they just end up much easier with a tiny bit of hybrid picking.

How do you decide which notes to up pick and which ones to down pick?

There's a combination of looking for a particular sound balanced with the relative ease of playing.

Hybrid picking has a much smoother sound than picking with the pick does; screw economy of motion, it's obviously just as fast and the tone is more to the player's liking. See Brett Garsed for a perfect application of this.

0.o

Imo, hybrid picking accentuates the grind, pop and growl of notes. I know Brett gets it silky smooth but I think it opens up a huge variety of tones on the raunchier side of rock guitar.

See Guthrie.
Quote by Freepower
0.o

Imo, hybrid picking accentuates the grind, pop and growl of notes. I know Brett gets it silky smooth but I think it opens up a huge variety of tones on the raunchier side of rock guitar.

See Guthrie.

Well ok, it's just as versatile in terms of tone as any other technique but it's a different sound to picking... I should have just said that >.<

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Check out Jimmy Wahlsteen for an acoustic side of hybrid picking. It does give a different tone, but depending on what you use it for, it's a good thing.

It's definitely tricky to get it down, but that's what practice is for As for the choosing which string to pluck and pick, for me it comes from accenting the bass note with the pick and then plucking the rest with the fingers. Use it in the same way as I'd use my thumb if I wasn't hybrid.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.