I've downloaded everything by Bach, and am putting them into folders by BWV numbers to then put in chronological order, and noticed that there's two tracks claiming to be BWV 299. Am I going crazy, or is it possible to have two different tracks from two different cds in a set be the same number?
one might be a version for chior while the other for solo.
i think the anna magdelena notebook has multiple versions of songs for such things like that.dont qoute me tho.i just play a little classical guitar every so often but im no professional,hope that helps
(perhaps the download got named wrong?)
I found out what the problem was after listening to both tracks, but I wanted to see if anyone would actually answer it. I've also found multiple versions of a few choruses. Oh, also thanks for the reply.
no problem,good luck getting answers on classical music on this forum lol,p.s.j.s.bach is my favorite classical composer,the baroque period is great.
Just for the record, BWV numbers are NOT chronological. For an index by chronological numbers, you should categorize them using Zwang's "Guide pratique des cantates de Bach," these only deal with the cantatas, however.

As for BWV 299, this sits firmly in the middle of the Chorales category. This is enough to make it probably recorded by 30000000000 different people, but in addition, it comes from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, which contains many "popular" Bach pieces.

Bach's music is unique, in my opinion, in that it works so well in almost every single setting. So I would keep both and in the title add what version of the piece it is in brackets next to it. For example: in my folder BWV 1080 "The Art of Fugue," I have a duplicate of Contrapunctus VIII a 3. One by Glenn Gould at the organ, and another arranged by Mozart and performed by the Grumiaux Trio.

So, the title of the tracks read:
"Cuntrapunctus VIII a 3 [Gould, Organ]"
"Contrapunctus VIII a 3 (Fugue in F major for String Trio K. 404a No. 4) [Grumiaux Trio]"

Quote by CAGEDtheory
no problem,good luck getting answers on classical music on this forum lol,p.s.j.s.bach is my favorite classical composer,the baroque period is great.

If people would post on the classical thread more often, I think we could actually get a decent community going. Oh well, a man can dream :P
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Aug 23, 2010,