Hello,

I have been trying to figure out this special effect in the song "Amy Hit The Atmosphere" by the band Counting Crows... it´s the rippling sound, just in the beginning of the song... sounds like it´s some kind of guitar with a pedal effect? Or perhaps an Organ?

Here is a link to the song on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feom_uT7tTk]YouTube - Counting Crows - Amy Hit the Atmosphere.wmv - It´s the first sound you hear...

It says they use B-3 Organ and Sitar in this song... but I find that sitars wont sound anything close to that... unless with some kind of effect?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a vibrato pedal to me.

You do mean the clean guitar in the left and right channels, correct?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
That is a SICK effect! It sounds like a lot is going on there...wah, whammy, who knows...my guess is the sustain is coming from an ebow and he's using a delay of some kind that can also be manipulated with a foot swtich.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
rotary speaker, delay, auto wah, I think.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I can't really guess what instrument it is, (honestly, it could be anything) but I'm skeptical that it would be just a single effect going on. I've heard synthesizers, chorus/vibrato, flangers and echoes that all contain parts of that sound. I do FOR SURE hear a wah in the background somewhere.

I will say this: Try and see what some research of your own might yield.

I'd start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ouX_r5lfBk&feature=related

I found the EHX effectology video series to be really interesting, and inspiring.

Cheers!