My budget is about $500. I want mostly cleans, but I want it to be able to do crunchy distortion and rock too. I will buy used. I play mostly modern rock and alternative type stuff. (Think Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus, Relient K, Switchfoot.)

I was looking at a prs se custom 24, what's your opinion on that? Feel free to suggest me other guitars too. Thanks
Well what neck profiles do you prefer? Preference in number of frets? Single cutaway, double cutaway. The only way we can give the best answers is if you can be very specific about what you want. Configuration, feel, sound etc...

Try to pick up used. The SE guitars are a little expensive for what they are new but then again what isn't?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
for 500. Look for a used guitar. Try ebay.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well what neck profiles do you prefer? Preference in number of frets? Single cutaway, double cutaway. The only way we can give the best answers is if you can be very specific about what you want. Configuration, feel, sound etc...

Try to pick up used. The SE guitars are a little expensive for what they are new but then again what isn't?

Double cutaway probably, I'd say at least 20 frets haha, and I want a neck that's easy to move up and down on... I haven't tried enough guitars to know what neck width I prefer. I have smaller hands though, so I'd say a semi-thin neck width? Haha I don't really know.
$500 for a PRS custom is somthing I havent ever heard of. I'm too lazy to type it in the searchbox though, so I will just go on saying I might be wrong.

You need to go play a bunch of guitars yourself and find one you like. Nobody can tell you whats good and whats bad. Different woods make different sounds, different guitar companys use different woods, and pickups have alot to do with the overall sound of the guitar as well.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I would look into a Stratocaster of some sorts. They come in many different configurations and few different neck options. So they would be perfectly suited for somebody who doesn't know what they like. Not to mention it's pretty easy to mix and match parts on stratocaster style guitars. The PRS SE line is alright but you better make sure you like it personally before you make a commitment.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
alright... I think I'm just going to go on a trip to my closest guitar center and try out some stuff.
That's the best thing to do. Just try out a whole bunch of guitars and see what they do for you. Might I recommend trying out an ESP/LTD? The H series and M series are very solid guitars.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster