Page 1 of 3
NASA's, being the most respected government organization in the history of mankind, has a lot of information on global warming that I think that none of us have ever heard. I learned a lot just from reading through the site. From what I've gathered, this is what I think NASA's opinion of Global warming is:

Is Global Warming happening?
Yes

Is Global Warming man made:
Partially

Is CO2 the cause of Global Warming?
Not as much as you might think.

To anyone who cares to read up on this, and see what NASA says about it, here's the link: http://climate.nasa.gov/

I would click on the "A Warming World" link and watch the video, it'll get you going.

I would like hear ya'lls interpretation of this information, keep it civil people, don't go for the throat just because it's a Global Warming thread, read the info, and post back with what you think.
Hahahahaha, That's what I thought. 0.05% of the atmosphere seem not to make much of a difference anyways.
tl;dr: it's due mostly to greenhouse effect gases. An increase in solar activity can only contribute to about 10% of the actual Global Warming.
inb4 people denying Global Warming.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Didn't watch the video. Went to their Climate change FAQ.

Quote by NASA
If climate changes naturally over time, why isn't the current warming just another natural cycle?

The industrial activities that our modern civilization depends upon have raised atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide and methane to higher levels than at any point during the last 650,000 years. Scientists agree it is very likely that most of the global average warming since the mid-20th century is due to the human-induced increases in greenhouse gases, rather than to natural causes.

While natural variations have altered the climate significantly in the past, it is very unlikely that the changes in climate observed since the mid-20th century can be explained by natural processes alone.

http://climate.nasa.gov/climatechangeFAQ/
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
You think for an organization that shoots giant fuel-propelled rockets into space that they'd want to deny it was happening more, like Exxonmobil.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Doesn't methane have more of an effect than CO2?

I know little on the matter.

Yes, but the amount of methane is so much lower. I think methane has 20x the effect, but is a tiny fraction of the amount of CO2. So CO2 is the largest driver.
Well NASA is a science department, not a company in it for the lolz and the $. So it makes sense.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
Well NASA is a science department, not a company in it for the lolz and the $. So it makes sense.

There's probably a lot more politics behind NASA and the information they give us than you think.. out of every source of information, I'd take a pretty large grain of salt with NASA's quotes.
The University of Chicago did a survey of over 3,000 scientists around the world in many different fields. 90% of scientists say that global warming is occuring, and 82% of scientists say that global warming is significantly influenced by Human activity.

Maybe the most interesting statistic was of the kinds of scientists. 97% of climatologists say global warming is significantly affected by humans. But, only 47% of petroleum engineers agreed with human involvement. Meteorologists only agreed 64% of the time.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/01/19/eco.globalwarmingsurvey/index.html
I always thought the KGB was the worlds most respected governmental agency.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
I always thought the Mossad was the worlds most respected governmental agency.

Yes they are!
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by kaptink
You think for an organization that shoots giant fuel-propelled rockets into space that they'd want to deny it was happening more, like Exxonmobil.

You act like they're stupid.

No, think about it: They have all the equipment on satellites in space that they use to monitor space and earth conditions, to check conditions for launching, and whether or not to postpone the launch.

So they're really the best place to get all the info from, it's not like they're benefiting from swaying the info, and have to have really accurate data, because from what I hear, rocket science requires a little bit of precision. If their data's wrong, that could cause the whole project to go horribly wrong.
Quote by vitchb
There's probably a lot more politics behind NASA and the information they give us than you think.. out of every source of information, I'd take a pretty large grain of salt with NASA's quotes.

Yeah, they are run by the government. IT's tricky with things like that.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by pureebil333
Global Warming isn't real.

This, it's a lie from the commie government.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by iwannabesedated
Yes, but the amount of methane is so much lower. I think methane has 20x the effect, but is a tiny fraction of the amount of CO2. So CO2 is the largest driver.

I see.

So no more farting?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I see.

So no more farting?

You're contributing to killing the entire world if you do.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I see.

So no more farting?

Pretty sure farting has more CO2 than methane anyway. Methane is just the cause of most of the smell.
Quote by pureebil333
Global Warming isn't real.

Semi-OT: I heard once that there's some sort of energy source on the moon and that there's something of a race between the Russians, Americans and Chinese to set up a trade route to space. Anyone know anything about that? And yes, there was marijuana present was the conversation.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by TheBurningFish

If _____ then why ___ still/yet ____ ?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
This is not even worth arguing about anymore. The data is there.

Any "opposing" views are lies, and unfortunately these lies are amplified and given many times the significance they deserve by the media, which of course portrays Climate Change (a known fact) as a "Debate."

Some people literally believe the earth is a flat plane created by a literal Giant Man 4,000 years ago who spoke the exact Words of the Bible verbatim.

They are lunatics.

Sadly, the hard, tireless, underpaid work of dedicated Scientists who CONSTANTLY question and debate and challenge each others' work in one of the most violently competitive academic fields in history are seen as one side in a more-or-less equal tug-of-war between them - the extraordinarily well-educated, devoted experts in highly specific fields - and the "opposition," who are mostly laypeople with no understanding of anything and who believe in theories of the universe that even mainstream religious authorities such as the Vatican, the Baptist Convention, most of Islam, the Dalai Lama and so on, have agreed were IDIOTIC DRIVEL a long time ago.

It is not a dualistic mono-a-mono boxing match between two Heavyweights on Friday Night, but rather the downtrodden, starving, neglected and abused minority of scientists versus the fanatical Western counterparts of OSAMA FREAKIN' BIN LADEN, who just so happen to have major corporations and certain politicians backing them up.

It is by no means a fair fight. It is not an honest forum on questions of scientific research. It is a fifth-grade brawl pitting the bullies, the faculty, the Principal, half the parents, the preacher, and, by virtue of wanting to be "normal," most of us regular folks, against the poor, sorry bastards who have the BALLS to defend the truth against all of these unfair odds.

Here's to them:
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by iwannabesedated
Pretty sure farting has more CO2 than methane anyway. Methane is just the cause of most of the smell.

Shut up dammit, I'm trying to be funny!
Oh not this shit again.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
I can't stand the people that are like "Holy shit! Stop driving! You're killing polar bears!"

Survival of the fittest right?

And my mom listens to this crazy dude on a radio show called Coast to Coast. This guy says that the sun is getting hotter probably is

But he also says that someone is going to EMP the US and we'll all be screwed...
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Well, there were 42 degrees Celsius in my car around noon today (Americans: that's like, really hot and stuff), so I can at least confirm that local warming is real.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by damian_91
If _____ then why ___ still/yet ____ ?

If corn is popped to make popcorn, why is there still corn?

Quote by TheBurningFish

If Global Warming is real then why hasn't the globe evaporated yet?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by TheBurningFish

Because if it was called pop, English people might think it's soda?
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
I don't see how GW is supposed to universally bad.
There are quite a few good things that could come of it as well.
Quote by damian_91
If Global Warming is real then why hasn't the globe evaporated yet?

The real one I often here is "If Global Warming is real, why is it so cold today?"

Gee, I dunno, maybe because it's ****ing DECEMBER?

We're closer to a global ice age then a period of really hot hotness. But the ice age is about 150,000 years away soooooo....

I THINK WE'LL BE FINE!!!!
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Quote by TheBurningFish
The real one I often here is "If Global Warming is real, why is it so cold today?"

Gee, I dunno, maybe because it's ****ing DECEMBER?

You mean August?
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Quote by izbbass
You mean August?

Yeah now. But I hear it in and around winter.

"Gee, it's freezing out there. So much for Global Warming "

Quote by izbbass
We're closer to a global ice age then a period of really hot hotness. But the ice age is about 150,000 years away soooooo....

I THINK WE'LL BE FINE!!!!

That makes absolutely no sense.

That reminds me of one "non-Global Warming" guy - whatever you call them (I just call them fanatics, which is fairly accurate...)

He told me that volcanoes account for the whole thing.

I said, "Well, ya think volcanoes are a NEW phenomenon?"

"No," he said, "but there are MORE OF THEM now."

I just laughed in his stupid, fat, ignorant, fanatical face.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Page 1 of 3