I'm going to order a bass within the next week or two. I mainly play stuff like cancer bats, every time i die, the devil wears prada, underoath ect. but I also play stuff like U2, Coldplay, Thin Lizzy ect in a band. I have been using my friends bass up until now.

My budget is around £250.

Basses I've been thinking about so far are:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Yamaha RBX374
Ibanez SR300
Used Ibanez SR400

Which do you think would suit me best and what else would you recommend?

Thanks.
The VM or CV squiers are a solid bet. Really good basses for the price. Not sure about the rest of them so I can't compare.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

It sounds like a Jazz bass wouldn't be the ideal instrument for you. Personally I'd go with the SR300. It has active electronics so you can have more of a choice in tone.
I fell in love with the SR300 at first sight. Thin body, fast neck and sounds awesome. Plenty of videos on youtube showing its awesomeness
I've also played the bass and I enjoy the fast neck. Plus, the tones you can get out of it is pretty good, especially for the money you're spending.
Quote by Ledhead82048
It sounds like a Jazz bass wouldn't be the ideal instrument for you. Personally I'd go with the SR300. It has active electronics so you can have more of a choice in tone.

Why would the jazz bass not be ideal?
I think a Jazz bass would do you fine, but all the basses you've listed are decent instruments. You're best off trying them all out. Sorry it's a boring answer but you'll probably be fine with any of those.

If it were me I'd look out for a used Ibanez though.
Quote by circlethesky
Why would the jazz bass not be ideal?

personally I dont like the tone. its dull and passive. you can get more of a punchy tone from the Ibanez
I personally own the yamaha rbx374 and i think it's a great bass, very versatile, and has a good strong tone, but i suggest you try them all and see which one feels best for you!
Get an overdrive pedal for the Jazz and you can get an epic tone. I owned an SR300 and it's...decent, thin neck is nice but it doesn't sound too good in my opinion. The Yamaha's a nice bass too. But I've also noticed most people prefer the GSRs over the SR300. I'd say try out the Jazz basses, they're very popular in Metalcore. I know TDWP's bassist and Underoath's bassist both play Jazz basses. Cancer Bats' bassist plays First Act, not sure about ETID. And doesn't U2's bassist play an old-school Pbass?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Quote by Ledhead82048
personally I dont like the tone. its dull and passive. you can get more of a punchy tone from the Ibanez

Humbuckers give a far more dull sound in my opinion, and feel pretty damn dull to play. Single Coils pick up the little nuances in your playing. Active electronics sound too artificial most of the time. If you're having to rely on active electronics to get more punch, then you probably ought to revise your technique. Either that, or you've only played bad jazz basses.

Also, punchy tones? Can't think of anyone with a more punchy tone than Geddy Lee, and he plays a Jazz bass.

Each to his own though.

It sounds to me like a Jazz bass would suit your band situation the best out of these options (a P-bass perhaps even more so if you're playing a lot of Thin Lizzy). If the band is the preference, get a Jazz, if you're more bothered about the stuff you like to play at home, get the Ibanez.
Quote by circlethesky
I'm going to order a bass within the next week or two. I mainly play stuff like cancer bats, every time i die, the devil wears prada, underoath ect. but I also play stuff like U2, Coldplay, Thin Lizzy ect in a band. I have been using my friends bass up until now.

My budget is around £250.

Basses I've been thinking about so far are:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Yamaha RBX374
Ibanez SR300
Used Ibanez SR400

Which do you think would suit me best and what else would you recommend?

Thanks.

I just bought a bass with the same budget as yours.

First of all for your style actives would be great, I'd definitely advise second hand, especially for your budget, as a lot of second cheaper musical instruments are used like 5 times buy the original owner and then left alone, so there often practically new and cheap.

I'd avoid squiers, the build quality is poor on every squire i've ever played.

I bought a peavey millenium ac bxp4, for just under 200 second hand with a bunch of extras, I would highly recommend one of those if you could get one.

The ibanez guitars are great too.

best of luck happy hunting.