I'm hoping to change my bridge pup in my mexican strat soon. Its harsh, sterile and thin sounding. I want a punchy, agressive meaty pup thats going to be good for lead and riffs.

I thought the Dimarzio chopper would be a good idea?

And after this change, I would like to swap the neck pup for a more bluesy touch. This should also be rich and full for nice and meaningful solos while good for rhythm playing.

I thought the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage heavy blues 2 would be cool?

I'm not sure what I'd put in the middle after, but I suppose i'd be after something thats just great for chords and rhythm playing.

So are my suggestions a good idea?

I have a decent amp. Will I hear asignificant difference?

I really like this idea, opinions and thoughts would be nice.

Thanks folks

EDIT: Oh, im into rock, classic rock, blues, slight funk, Hendrix, motley crue, muse RHCPs etc
Sounds like your in the right direction bro...may I suggest a dimarzio sds(super distortion single coil) for the bridge,and maybe a dimarzio area 61 for the neck...that should do you,I wouldn't stress about the mids unless you really use it a lot then maybe another area 61 or an area 58....just my 2 cents bro...that stuff works for me lol good luck
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
The tone zone is good its just as hot as the sd but it may be a little bassy but I'm thinking with it being in the bridge anyhow with it slanted it may be ok cause the highs will be boosted a bit...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
hmm im not sure.

I'v seen so much info on hundreds of pups but cannot start to look outside dimarzio/seymor duncan etc. Theres too much choice.

I'm gonna keep looking for a different pup for the bridge I think, and keep an eye out for the virtual vintage heavy blues 2
I have a tone zone in the bridge of my strat and I find it to be quite nice. Very clear, and it has that sort of "aww" sound, although it's very mild, but I love it. I don't think it really fits the aggressive and meaty description but I find it good for my style of playing. I'd suggest a Super Distortion or a Seymour Duncan JB, if you want very aggressive. Unless your strat is SSS (if I missed that), then the SDS is good, or the JB Junior.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
sweeet thanks for the advice man. And yeah my strat is SSS.

I do like the look of the Dimarzio Super Distortion for the bridge. If its agressive and clear thats great stuff.

I'v found one quite cheap on ebay but am not sure if its anygood?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DiMarzio-SDS-1-Strat-Single-Coil-Super-Distortion-_W0QQitemZ170440872840QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=125669318517&rvr_id=125669318517&cguid=7ae0743112a0a0aad440c130fde05d67

Could someone please check?

It doesn't seem to have the cover over it so im a bit sketchy on buying from there

thanks
I'm well confused now.

I keep thinking "Do I want a super distortion pup?". It seems like it will take away the strat like feel.

I like to play bluesy solos but I thought the super d would be nice for riffs and the occasional solo.

I mainly play rhythm with my neck pup but want the neck pup there aswell for solos, however wouldn't be a huge change between.

Can someone help me out with what I actually want. I know thats hard, but I have no idea.

I like the bareknuckle pickups...Hows the mothers milk one? Very red hot chilli sounding?

Perhaps I could put that on the bridge, and something round, bluesy and full on the neck?

Arrrrrgghhhhh this is hard!

Help would be much appriciated!!
the best thing you can do is send chris an email. he'll do everything you need. tell him everything that affects the tone in your room, like guitar (wood/hardware), cable, amp, acoustics, how big the room is, where you play in the room, is the amp tilted, etc.

then he'll wind you a pickup.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by moominman2
sweeet thanks for the advice man. And yeah my strat is SSS.

I do like the look of the Dimarzio Super Distortion for the bridge. If its agressive and clear thats great stuff.

I'v found one quite cheap on ebay but am not sure if its anygood?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DiMarzio-SDS-1-Strat-Single-Coil-Super-Distortion-_W0QQitemZ170440872840QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=125669318517&rvr_id=125669318517&cguid=7ae0743112a0a0aad440c130fde05d67

Could someone please check?

It doesn't seem to have the cover over it so im a bit sketchy on buying from there

thanks

That's a SDS-1 which is different than the Super Distortion S. The Super Distortion is a mini humbucker with two rails. I have one in the bridge of my strat and love it.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
hey moominman

im gunna +1 on the rockmonkeyguitars pickups... Chris winds a killer pickup and is a great bloke to deal with. I had a set of his in my strat (before I sold it deciding I dont like the feel of strats) and it was a different guitar with them in... transformed it from a very good solid strat to an exceptional instrument.

Obviously SD and DiMarzios have a great reputation and make some great pickups, but Chris's pickups just have a great feel to them, and as EC says, tell him what your after and your tonal circumstances and see what he says... the guy loves winding pickups
thanks mate! Been a while since we last spoke. Nice way to speak again

I'm gonna go with you on this one. I might see how I like his pickups by replacing the neck pup, and later decide whether i'll go with him again for the bridge, or vice versa...

Emailing him now thanks!

Luke
hes at the hospital quite a bit and hes behind on reading emails. i heard last from him on monday tho.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
thanks, I e-mailed him and suggested the hot texan or warm gorilla groove.

What you rekon?

I really want a nice bluesy smooth pup like john mayers tone in the neck...and ideas?

Thanks, sorry old thread!