Page 1 of 2
This thread is going to be a thread for people who are interested in EL34s and KT88s. I would do 6L6s to since I know they are quite popular but I don't have any that I particularly like so KT88s and EL34s it is.

I pulled a few clips out of my ass that I think most people would enjoy. I did the heavy side and the bluesy side. Now before you listen I am not very good at blues to cut me some slack but I think it's worth listening too. I didn't do drums for the heavy clips since I feel you can hear the comparison much better without all the shit in the background and hell I just didn't feel like putting drums together so what ever.

I hope people get a bit out of this as I think it is interesting.

Our Contenders -

Amp -

Settings -

Ect. -

"Alright Kyle, shut up. Clips or it's an MG with t00bs"

Clips -

Heavy Stuff

KT88 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/KT88%20Heavy%20Side.mp3

EL34 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/EL34%20Heavy%20Side.mp3

Bluesy Stuff -

KT88 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/KT88%20Blues%20Side.mp3

EL34 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/EL34%20Blues%20Side.mp3

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Oh yeah! Signal chain.

Ibanez SA160 (JB in bridge) - ISP - Amp - Mesa Traditional 4x12 - SM57 - Lambda Interface.

All my cables are Lava Cables.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Why not throw the KT88's in the Randall and do the same comparison with the same settings on the same amp?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Maybe later I'm tired now. Plus the Baron owns the Randall. There'd be no comparison.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
EL-34s sound smoother to my ears, thus - I like them better in the bluesy clips and the KT-88s in the heavy, though the KT-88s are a bit too grainy for my tastes, they still sound more like they're going to kick you in the face than the EL-34s do.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah I wish I had better KT88s than the ones I tested but I'm very happy with the EL34s I got. They sound fantastic and I thought I hated EL34s. Nope just JJ's E34Ls haha.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
Maybe later I'm tired now. Plus the Baron owns the Randall. There'd be no comparison.

Maybe so, but it's not a shootout between the two amps, it's a shootout between the two tubes in an amp that was designed for a variety of tubes, whereas it appears the Baron was designed with the KT88 in mind

So you know, I came to the same conclusion as MC

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

That really is interesting. I can't make my mind up either way; there are things I like about both.

With the more bluesy tone I think the KT88 might just steal it for me.

For the heavy tones, I liked the KT88 more to start with. Then when you started chugging, the EL34 seemed to have a much nicer crunchy bite, without sounding piercing; the KT88 sounded a little flabby.
404: Sig not found.
Maybe I'm just impartial to kt88's as I have them in my Soldano Avenger, with custom mercury tx's as well to boot . Really adds a layer of OOMF!!! to palm mutes and open chords. To each their own though
The EL34s are definitely clearer. The KT88's are more 'open to distortion'.

...imo

Quote by bdof
Maybe I'm just impartial to kt88's as I have them in my Soldano Avenger, with custom mercury tx's as well to boot . Really adds a layer of OOMF!!! to palm mutes and open chords. To each their own though

Don't you mean partial? impartial means you don't like them...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Aug 16, 2010,
The KT88s definately sound fuller to my ears but like you guys say the EL34s sound clearer and I still they they have an equal amount of oomf to them just a bit more in the KT88s than the EL34s. I like the KT88s better than the EL34s for high gain but the EL34s sound much better when chugging. Blues I agree EL34s win.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
maybe it was just me, but the kt88s in the heavy clip seemed to have more oomph and presence. and that added presence made everything seem a little clearer. are they a direct replacement for el34s? my peavey xxx can use 6l6 or el34 and has a bias switch. would i be ok putting in kts?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'm not sure if you could put them in there as they would need to be biased ect. It wasn't a direct replacement because of the biasing. KT88s biased at 45ma where as the EL34s were at 33ma.

^^
Thanks man!
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I definitely liked the KT88s better for the heavy stuff but the EL34s were better for blues.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
i gotta say on my music making machine the KT88s sound the most open and ready to rock really hard. the EL34s sounded more tamed in the mids though, tighter?

but for the blues clips the EL34s sound like the KT88s did for the metal? eq'd differently?

maybe you can make them sound damn near identical with the eq changed.
nice! thanks for doing this! im looking at putting el34 and kt88s in an egnater renegade head so ive avtualy been looking for this type of comparison
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I heard what chrisN meant by the el34s sounding better for the chugging, they have a tighter low end, but both tubes sound great for both because of the amp they're in!

So IMO niether one is better per say, but they are just different flavors, like ice cream, buy the baron just makes them both sounds great, which IMO, it's like a $3000 amp, it better :-P
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Try biasing the EL34s a bit colder too. I like them at 31

Stupid name.

Quote by Metalmaker
I heard what chrisN meant by the el34s sounding better for the chugging, they have a tighter low end, but both tubes sound great for both because of the amp they're in!

So IMO niether one is better per say, but they are just different flavors, like ice cream, buy the baron just makes them both sounds great, which IMO, it's like a $3000 amp, it better :-P

lol ive always heard that kt88s are "supposed" to have tighter low end.

both are really nice tones. love the el34s, as i always do lol. the kt88s remind me of a tighter 6l6 that just sounds alot better imo. the kt88s do sound a bit tighter to my ear than el34, but el34s have that nice lush distortion to them, which i think the kt88s have less of, and 6l6 even less. i think my el34/kt88 mod on the egnater will turn out quite nicely.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Tightness appears to get mixed up between people sometimes...

I've heard what we would normally associate with "looser" bottom end (ie. more bass) being called "tight" (which would normally mean less low end frequencies with a bit more midrange).

Stupid name.

it seems to be that way with all guitar terms ha my friend and i just had a disscussion on this last night
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
definitely. i have heard songs from certain bands and thought "wow their tone is so tight" only to find out it was double tracked rectifiers. and with the general opinion of rectos...well you can see what im getting at
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by kylendm

I beg to differ.

The EL34s sound grainier than the KT88s IMO. Definitely better on the chugs too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
I beg to differ.

The EL34s sound grainier than the KT88s IMO. Definitely better on the chugs too.

if you think that sounds grainy, then that means i like grain. alot.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Shinozoku
Tightness appears to get mixed up between people sometimes...

I've heard what we would normally associate with "looser" bottom end (ie. more bass) being called "tight" (which would normally mean less low end frequencies with a bit more midrange).

well from what I know, there are two ways tightness can be heard

1: how quickly an amp responds, ex: how "percussive" it is

2: how much bottom end it has compared to midrange

most people talk about it in a hybrid of these I find, but as far as this thread I meant the first one, sorry for any confusion, because I do agree the kt88s do have a much larger bottom end
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
KT88s are thick. That's all there is too it. That being said though they are a very clear tube and tighten up a lot more when you run them harder. The more I've been playing these EL34s the more I'm noticing they don't tighten up like a KT88 but they sound much more lush and the gain is much different. After recording a bunch of riffs I am really starting to hear the real EL34 tone. I can't tell if I like it or what. I wish I could flick a switch and change between KT88s and EL34s.

Even though component wise the KT88 is more like an EL34 the KT88 reminds me of my old SED 6550 Winged "C"s which was closer to a 6L6.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Check out them mixed.

KT88 Left
EL34 Right

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/KT88%20Left%20EL34%20Right.mp3

EDIT: If you listened to it before this edit it had volume problems. Sounds better now.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by kylendm
Check out them mixed.

KT88 Left
EL34 Right

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/KT88%20Left%20EL34%20Right.mp3

EDIT: If you listened to it before this edit it had volume problems. Sounds better now.

sounds nice!
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Needz moar =C=!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
great clips man and thanks for turning me on to baron amps. really really nice sounds.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by kylendm
the gain is much different.

I finally got around to messing with 6L6s and EL34s in my single recto the other day... and yeah same thing the gain is just different. I can't decide which I like better yet.

Haven't listened to your clips yet though still at work
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by Linqua5150
great clips man and thanks for turning me on to baron amps. really really nice sounds.

Sure thing man. He makes great amps and I think everyone who has gotten one still has theirs. I was a lucky one though. I got mine because of some unfortunate soul that got screwed in this economey. Thankfully I helped him and took his Baron K88. Not only is it the longest I've ever owned one amp but it's also an amp that whenever I turn it on I'm amazed.

^
Take a listen when you get home. It's pretty interesting how they compare.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Awesome! There's less difference than I expected, but I still prefer the EL34. Especially on the chuggies, they seem a lot tighter. The KT88s kinda have that short reverberating oomph.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by TheDefected
This tone right here.
I want.

):

I like how you updated your sig.

^
Well I still have the EL34s in so I guess that's saying something.

Also I have new plans for my next amp. It's going to be sick. In the coming month I'm going to purchase something so bad ass. Can't wait.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
I like how you updated your sig.

^
Well I still have the EL34s in so I guess that's saying something.

Also I have new plans for my next amp. It's going to be sick. In the coming month I'm going to purchase something so bad ass. Can't wait.

Titan?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
No way! :P

I will say this much. It is another Baron. Which one though is a mystery.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Yeah but I found out what I wanted he already had a sort of prototype/build. When I put money on it I'll give more details.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
Yeah but I found out what I wanted he already had a sort of prototype/build. When I put money on it I'll give more details.

Ohhh, definitely stickying this thread.
Keep us posted!
I'm interested,
Page 1 of 2