So I have the Vox VT15 Valvetronix amplifier and I'm torn between either getting the footswitch for it (the VFS5) or the Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator. The song I'm trying to play is "Fade To Black" by Metallica, for those that know it.

The problem with the 5-button footswitch is that I've been told that while switching between settings on it, there's some sort of noise. I've been told "Oh, just lower the guitar volume all the way down and you won't hear it," but I don't want to hear ANY noise at all and I don't think I'm quick enough to turn the volume down, turn it up again, and begin playing again in the blink of an eye (I'd like the transition from acoustic sound to a distorted one to be smooth).

Now the problem that I have with the AC-3 is that I don't know how to go about this. If I turned my amp to a model with some overdrive and/or distortion and tapped the AC-3, would the outcome be a distorted acoustic sound or does the pedal cancel out the distortion altogether (basically, distorted amp channel, hit pedal, acoustic sound)? I don't have a good enough acoustic setting on the amp to simply plug in my distortion pedal (clean amp channel, hit distortion pedal, distorted sound).

Sorry if this was confusing, it's hard to make some things seem clear when you're typing. Anyway, thanks for any help on this one, guys.

EDIT: Yea, I made it sound like I'm only doing this for one song, but I don't know what I'll be doing in a few years so why not add another pedal, anyway? Besides, even if they're 2 different guitars in the song, that doesn't mean you're not able to switch between sounds (which is the whole point of this question).
Heisenberg might have been here

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
Last edited by jhalterman at Aug 16, 2010,
1) You shouldn't base what your buying soley on a single song you want to play, it should be based on what you want to do for a long time.
2) The clean and distorted parts of fade to black are two separate guitar parts
ok think about pedals in order of signal chain if you have a clean amp setting for example and an acoustic pedal in ur case the pedal alters the guitar signal then it goes to the amp to reproduce it at volume clean if you have a distorted channel with an acoustic pedal it will take ur guitar signal make it sound acoustic and then reproduce it at volume with distortion
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
You can't use an acoustic simulator over the overdrive, it will not clean your sound up.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.