Alright so, here lately I have NOT been able to play cleanly at all. I just don't know what to do. Do you think I should use a metronome more? I use one but i still can't play clean. It is very annoying to hear the unwanted noise when I play
Play slow first. Play at a rate where you can play clean, then slowly speed up, and you'll see some improvement. It worked for me.

Or is that not the problem here?
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Last edited by Shredderman8160 at Aug 16, 2010,
Can you be more specific on what you hear? Like hitting wrong strings or notes sound a little muted? Or is it more of a timing issue? Because a metronome can solve timing problems, but if its your hand placement or hitting the wrong notes or strings, that's something only practice can solve. I know how you feel though, I went through the same problem trying to play acoustic a while back, but I put down my electrics and played only scales and chord progressions to help me on my acoustic.
Is the unwanted noise fret buzz from playing notes to close to the lower fret?
purposely place your finger where I've placed the "o" on the 3rd fret and play a note, then slide your finger down the fret closer to the bridge where i placed the "x" and play a note. Could finger placement be the problem that is masked by gain?

Mock Fretboard
3rd 2nd 1st
|x--o|----|----||
Epiphone Evolution Explorer EMG'd Euaaahhh
Fender Squier Standard Stratocaster
Peavey Vypyr 75w W/Sanpera I
Well it's the other strings ringing when i switch to a different string, or something like that. It's not fret buzz. And see I don't really care about playing fast, I like to play more melodic with ALOT of bends also. Pretty much like Slash's style. My hammer-ons and pull-offs ain't clean either. and a matter of fact, neither is my bends. Maybe i'm trying to play too fast?
Slow it down and focus on how neatly you're playing. Make sure your picking hand is hitting the correct strings only or that you're properly muting the other strings when you hit them. Make sure your transitions between notes and chords are nice and fluent (unless what your playing is intentionally staccato). Progressively raise the tempo until you can play whatever it is you're trying to at full speed.

There really is no secret to it, just practice.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Slow it down and focus on how neatly you're playing. Make sure your picking hand is hitting the correct strings only or that you're properly muting the other strings when you hit them. Make sure your transitions between notes and chords are nice and fluent (unless what your playing is intentionally staccato). Progressively raise the tempo until you can play whatever it is you're trying to at full speed.

There really is no secret to it, just practice.

the picking hand is hitting the correct strings. but what do you mean by your words in bold ^. and my "transitions" are really not nice and fluent, just noticed that. I do not like to use a metronome. it is VERY boring but i guess i will need to. How am i supposed to raise the tempo when i'm playing what I write/make up?

Sorry if I seem pushy anywhere or anytime, i do not mean to be.
Quote by Danielghero
the picking hand is hitting the correct strings. but what do you mean by your words in bold ^. and my "transitions" are really not nice and fluent, just noticed that. I do not like to use a metronome. it is VERY boring but i guess i will need to. How am i supposed to raise the tempo when i'm playing what I write/make up?

Sorry if I seem pushy anywhere or anytime, i do not mean to be.

e---(x)--------------
B----2--------------
G----4--------------
D----3--------------
A----4--------------
E------------------

I meant that if you're playing something like that make sure you're not hitting the high e as you strum, or alternatively use your other fingers to mute the string so it doesn't ring out as you strum the chord.

The metronome will allow you to set whatever tempo you can cleanly play a song to and then you can gradually increase it as you improve until it's up to full speed. For example, you may be able to play a song cleanly at 80 bpm (beats per minute) but then you'll need to work your way up to 110 bpm if that's how the song is played full speed.

Sorry if I'm not being clear, I'm being sort of lazy in my word phrasing.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Aug 16, 2010,
Try to learn your scales and harder licks with a metronome and then only incorporate it into ur own stuff once your comfortable with the way it sounds....I would just play slow and clean like eveyone else has stated above...remember rome wasn't built in a day people like slash didn't just wake up one day and have their ability it happened over time with a lot of practice and overall familiarity with your guitar
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Here's what I do. Try playing a scale or lick exercise clean and precise at a slow speed, like 80 BPM. If you can play it five to ten times in a row without any mistakes, raise it by 2 BPM, and do it at 82 BPM. If you can do it at that speed as well, raise it up by another 2 BPM. Repeat process.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Shredderman- I've tried that, but it's gets SOOOOO boring, but i'll try to find a littl lelick to practice
rdobson2-I'll start doing that now thanks
RU Experienced?-I will work on this too. I just hate it that i can't play clean
Quote by Danielghero
Shredderman- I've tried that, but it's gets SOOOOO boring, but i'll try to find a littl lelick to practice

It does get boring, I sometimes feel that way too, but it really helps. You gotta get past that boredom. Aim for improvement, not entertainment.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Alright thanks, but what should i practice with it? cause when i just play a 3 note per string pattern i feel as if it doesn't help at all cause i don't get to bend and all that junk
Yeah its all about finished product...u can rush through stuff if you'd like but in the end your not gonna be pleased with the outcome...if you think playing to a metronome is boring well when hate what you play that's what other guitarists are gonna think of your playing

To break from the norm,look up steve vai's 10 hour guitar workout...that thing helped me probably more than anything ever,once I got my fingers coordinated enough I was off and running bro

Quote by Danielghero
Alright thanks, but what should i practice with it? cause when i just play a 3 note per string pattern i feel as if it doesn't help at all cause i don't get to bend and all that junk

Try this.

E-----------------------------------------------------------------------5------------
B---------------------------------------------5----------------5---8-------8---5----
G------------------5-----------------5---7-------7---5---7--------------------------
D---------5---7--------7---5---7-----------------------------------------------------
A-----7--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a pentatonic exercise that my guitar teacher told me to practice when discussing triplets. Alternate pick between the strings, and make sure it's three notes per metronome beep.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
alright thanks, but what about the noise form other strings when i bend and/or hammer on and pull off
Quote by Danielghero
alright thanks, but what about the noise form other strings when i bend and/or hammer on and pull off

I sometimes have problems with that when I bend, too. I'm actually not sure how to negate that myself.

Don't worry about bending right now, though. Focus on precision first. One thing at a time.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Last edited by Shredderman8160 at Aug 16, 2010,
alright thanks again man, but do you have any ways to get your fingers used to higher gauge strings? (Ernie Ball 11-48's)
Oh and sorry forget to mention this earlier, but it seems that i only don't play as cleam when ascending down the strings...coming back up is fine but down is very sloppy
great answers so far!!

one thing i would HIGHLY recommend for cleaning up your playing, increasing your precision, and improving your accuracy, is studying classical guitar!! hey, randy rhoads did it, and he was an awesome shredder!

on the downside, classical guitar CAN get a little boring, BUT it takes great skill to play pieces like Leyenda on guitar!

plus, you would get to brush up on your music reading skills too...

ONE MORE thing i would say is that i agree with others up there that you should practice clean. this way, you will know for a fact you are not using distortion to inadvertently "cover up" sloppy playing! i'm not saying you do that or anything, but it's always good to practice clean with a metronome to account for accuracy.

GOOD LUCK
Quote by Danielghero
thanks, but where can i find more excercises like the one shredderman posted?

Have you learned any pentatonic scales or something like that? You can make some up from those scales.

If you don't know that many scales or don't want to bother improvising, just look up finger exercises on guitar on Google. I'm sure you'll get tons of results.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Last edited by Shredderman8160 at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by Danielghero
alright thanks again man, but do you have any ways to get your fingers used to higher gauge strings? (Ernie Ball 11-48's)

If you just starting at play leads and stuff man I'd recommend lighter strings....just my opinion