What does it mean to sell out? I mean, people want their favorite bands to be famous right? But when they score a place on the billboards, or sign to a big record company, they've "sold out". I think music comes with a freedom to do whatever you want, whether it's making a butter commercial or changing up your sound.

I'm interested to know other people's views on this.

When I think "sell out" I think of bands writing and performing specifically to appease the masses.

Not that I am against that. They treat it more as a job than an artistic expression and want to make money. I respect that.
People tend to mistake selling out for being successful and making the most of your opportunities.
it means you compromise your morals and ethics for financial gain.

I think people use the term far too freely, and fail to sympathize. most people, musicians or not, "sellout" at one point in their lives.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Everything

To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
My fav sellouts are...
mudvayne, slipknot, linkin park, soad

-"Perception is more pleasing that truth."

Gear-
Yamaha ERG121U
Yamaha GA10 amp
Yamaha YT-120 Guitar Tuner
Original Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-50 Guitar Multiple Effects
Zoom 505 II
Digitech GSP 21 Legend w/foot control
Quote by MakinLattes
it means you compromise your morals and ethics for financial gain.

I think people use the term far too freely, and fail to sympathize. most people, musicians or not, "sellout" at one point in their lives.

I agree with this definition.

The word gets thrown around alot. Any change in music direction will be welcomed by cries of "sellout!". The basic definition is similar, but how far one has to go to become a sellout according to different opinions.
If the quality of your music declines so you can appeal to the masses. Not signing to a major record label. Except Universal. Boo.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
It's composing music to please the masses. Whether they like it or not, I believe that a simple song, made to be catchy, etc, is a sign of selling out. Another way of selling out is changing the band's musical direction, to please the masses. Or of course, playing something you don't like, purely because it will guarantee you fame and money. So to sum up, listener-friendly music, changing the band's genre to become more commercial, and whoring out your music.
Well, it definitely means, to me, that a band stops writing music for the sake of loving writing music and starts to write because they think their fans would like this or that. Or when they decide to write something because they want to specifically entice new fans. See, to me, music is about you sharing your art with everyone else. Selling out is when you start letting your art be polluted by what you view as other's opinions.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, definitely means to that a band stops writing music for the sake of loving writing music and starts to write because they think their fans would like this or that. Or when they decide to write something because they want to specifically entice new fans. See, to me, music is about you sharing your art with everyone else. Selling out is when you start letting your art be polluted by what you view as other's opinions.

Or when you start doing butter commercials, hehehe.
Quote by bastardsodecent
It's composing music to please the masses. Whether they like it or not, I believe that a simple song, made to be catchy, etc, is a sign of selling out. Another way of selling out is changing the band's musical direction, to please the masses. Or of course, playing something you don't like, purely because it will guarantee you fame and money. So to sum up, listener-friendly music, changing the band's genre to become more commercial, and whoring out your music.

Your not selling out if catchy music is what you like. I agree with the playing something you don't like bit but not the rest
If you play your music and only a few people like but the rest don't, and you decide to change your style for the people who didn't like it, then your selling out. It's basically doing or saying something you don't want to, but to keep others happy.
Bands changing their style to a more 'chart friendly' one is all very well and there's nothing wrong with wanting to make a bit of money from your music but with some bands (like Metallica) you really get the feeling that they're just phoning it in and putting no effort into what their music used to be about
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010