Page 1 of 4
Good day fellow pitmonkeys,

I am looking for cases where students committed suicide due to getting bad grades. I am asking for this, as I am trying to essentially find out why people I know say things like "that person is stupid for doing that over some grades" when I brought up such cases in the past.

Quite recently, a student in my country committed suicide over her grades. These same people are now telling me that they they are quite sad it happened and how it is her parents' fault and so on. Yet I did not hear that "the person was stupid" remark at all.

All in all, I'd really like to know if it is a 'I care about it only if it falls into my backyard' type thing.

Story I am referring to.

Please tell me your views on this matter.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
People don't obviously hang themselves because they get poor grades, they have deeper psychological issues and a knee-jerk reaction like "that's stupid" only reflects your own poor, shallow thinking.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think the pressure on young people as actually mental, tbh.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Kensai
People don't obviously hang themselves because they get poor grades, they have deeper psychological issues and a knee-jerk reaction like "that's stupid" only reflects your own poor, shallow thinking.

Having had experience with suicide, I can say that this whole post is true.

Get used to people using little perspective. It happens to the best of us.
i don't know why i feel so dry
That girl is gorgeous. I just became a little angry now that I realized she killed herself.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Most of the students who commit suicide don't do it because of the grades, it's probably for a higher meaning like kensai said. It could be what their parents threatened to do to them if they didn't get the grades they should have, or how their future will be affected by the bad grades they got.
Quote by Kensai

This.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Kensai

Word.

I think bad grades are probably just the straw that breaks the camel's back, if I can turn a cliche.
Might be a sad upbringing, and that just topped it off.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I highly doubt that she committed suicide solely because of bad grades.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by walkinbazooka

What?

...my uncle went to Cornell.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Love how everyone jumps to the conclusion that her parents were pushing her hard because she's of asian descent.

Killing yourself... is pretty ****ing stupid and selfish. I have little sympathy for people who kill themselves apart from in the most extreme circumstances (grades are not an extreme circumstance).
Well I'll take the opposite opinion to most of the people and say that bad grades can really really upset some people, and could lead to suicide. Obviously the people who do aren't going to be quite right to begin with, though.

I mean, i've seen people cry and say "my life is over" on results days.

@ Above post: You just don't know what you're talking about, sorry.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Well, my dad's a psychiatrist. I'm fairly certain he'd say that people don't kill themselves because of just one thing, like bad grades. It usually has a lot more to it. There's deeper emotional and psychological issues than just getting "bad grades".
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Well I'll take the opposite opinion to most of the people and say that bad grades can really really upset some people, and could lead to suicide. Obviously the people who do aren't going to be quite right to begin with, though.

Yeah, a lot of people do, the majority suck it up, resit and get where they want to be.
Quote by element4433
I highly doubt that she committed suicide solely because of bad grades.

This, it's nonsense.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I'm making an educated guess about this, but...

I would expect to find more information about high achieving students getting a "B" since the tendency for mental illness such as Depression, Eating Disorders and the like are common amongst athletes and high achievers due to social and parental pressure, or possibly using their achievement almost like a drug.

A poor student getting an "F" is not going to care. If there is a suicide involved it will likely be coincidental, or the "F" might just be the "Camel's straw" so to speak.

If you tell someone, "Watch where you're going, what are you, stupid?!" and they kill themselves, it's not because of what you said. It's because they have a long history of problems and you saying this is just reinforcing a cycle of thoughts that already is going strong.

Some students on the high end believe that if they don't get in to (insert famous school here), then they are absolutely worthless.

The 34 on the ACT would more likely trigger suicide, I'd think, than the 12.

Just a thought.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Pipsicles
Killing yourself... is pretty ****ing stupid and selfish. I have little sympathy for people who kill themselves apart from in the most extreme circumstances (grades are not an extreme circumstance).

And you're absolutely ignorant. People kill themselves because of psychological disorders, not because they have their panties in a bunch and decided to dissent from your moral standards.

Edit: The same goes for the poster below me.
Last edited by Eastwinn at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by Kensai
a knee-jerk reaction like "that's stupid" only reflects your own poor, shallow thinking.

a knee-jerk reaction like suicide only reflects your own poor, shallow thinking.

oh, what a conundrum.
Quote by Dream Floyd
What?

...my uncle went to Cornell.

So many foreign (and American I bet) throw themselves into the gorge there. Foreign students have to maintain a higher GPA than American students. If they fail and get sent back many fear their family will disown them, so they kill themselves.

Look up the suicide rate at Cornell.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Eastwinn
And you're absolutely ignorant. People kill themselves because of psychological disorders, not because they have their panties in a bunch and decided to dissent from your moral standards.

"The school, the board, the church, teachers and all of Naparima Girls' are sad right now. It is like losing a member of our family. We have no answers because she was like any other student here,"

Oh please, people with "psychological disorders" lush broad term there by the way, don't need "bad grades" as an excuse to kill themselves, also its not noted that she did, so that's just speculation on your part.
I don't see how people can't understand how bad grades can be absolutely devastating to some people. Some people think that's it after that, they've failed in life and it's all over.

I'm not one of these people, but i've met loads.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
I don't see how people can't understand how bad grades can be absolutely devastating to some people. Some people think that's it after that, they've failed in life and it's all over.

And to think that your life is over because of something like bad grades is very short sighted (stupid).
Quote by Pipsicles
also its not noted that she did, so that's just speculation on your part.

At this point in time, there is no further news stating otherwise.
Quote by Pipsicles

That's a cultural bias.

Your culture tells you that your life belongs to Society, or perhaps to God, and if you kill yourself, then you are somehow cheating Society or your family or God, probably all three, of the wonderful potential you had.

In Japan, though, a person who has brought shame upon himself might kill himself as this is an honorable thing to do.

As for what are extreme circumstances that is difficult to determine from the outside. For a person with a mental illness a picture of a cat on a billboard might have extreme negative consequences.

There's no telling what might be extreme for someone.

Quote by Pipsicles
"The school, the board, the church, teachers and all of Naparima Girls' are sad right now. It is like losing a member of our family. We have no answers because she was like any other student here,"

Oh please, people with "psychological disorders" lush broad term there by the way, don't need "bad grades" as an excuse to kill themselves, also its not noted that she did, so that's just speculation on your part.

Most people don't see it coming when someone is that depressed. It's not an easy thing detect, unfortunately.

Suicides normally involve Major Depressive Disorder, but it's more common with long term cases involving psychosis. The former can fly under the radar, and the latter rarely does.

Sure, it's speculation. But I have experience with this. Deep, deep experience. I've met more than a few suicidal teenagers.
Hmmm it could definitely be a factor, i think it was about 7 - 10 people in my local area committed suicide in the space of a month and they were all aged 17-25.
Quote by Pipsicles
And to think that your life is over because of something like bad grades is very short sighted (stupid).

No doubt these people are misguided, but that doesn't make them stupid, does it?

I mean, I'm trying to imagine myself in a position that i would care. The best thing i can come up with at the moment is losing my fretting hand. Loosing something that i pretty much plan to base my entire life around.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Here is a poster's opinion on the matter:

i jus find its ironic...you are coward enuff to not face life and the difficulties placed in front of you but yet u hav the strength to take your own life...i believe that this is bourne out of the world that we live in where there is no value for life and that life is meaningless...( jus look at the media..ppl die in movies and we dont even flinch)

It also seems that every third person I ask seems to tell me something about God.

Example:
Someone should have taught this child about God. He saves us from all evil, no matter how difficult the situation is, he helps us through it. Poor kid is now in hell due her lack of a relationship with God. I hope her parents use this opportunity to turn to God. Its not God's fault bad things happen, it is lack of an intimate relationship with the Lord that encourages evil temptation.

EDIT:
Quote by toine
so in less then 24 hours the police confirmed it as a suicide?

I did not see any follow up to the autopsy that was done. I also don't think they'd do an autopsy for a guaranteed suicide case so.
Last edited by rock.freak667 at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by Pipsicles
Love how everyone jumps to the conclusion that her parents were pushing her hard because she's of asian descent.

You sir, are a moron.

It takes balls of steel to overcome your most basic instinct of survival for starters. If the person thinks that they will be a burden on the rest of their family/friends by failing, then killing themselves will, to them, look like a very selfless thing. As to it being stupid, well, that's subjective, obviously she didn't think so.
Quote by Eastwinn
Most people don't see it coming when someone is that depressed. It's not an easy thing detect, unfortunately.

Suicides normally involve Major Depressive Disorder, but it's more common with long term cases involving psychosis. The former can fly under the radar, and the latter rarely does.

Sure, it's speculation. But I have experience with this. Deep, deep experience. I've met more than a few suicidal teenagers.

Unless any of these "suicidal teenagers" are in the ground thanks to themselves, then you can disregard what wisdom you learned from them.
Quote by Jiggzy.UK

I kind of agree with this.

Grades can mean tons if you are expected to be a high achiever. I think it's unlikely that grades were the sole cause but if she was unhappy with other aspects of her life and mentally succeptible to depression then I think it's possible that she wouldn't have comitted suicide had she got good grades.

Edit:
Quote by Jiggzy.UK

Again, I agree.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by rock.freak667
Here is a poster's opinion on the matter:

It also seems that every third person I ask seems to tell me something about God.

Example:

EDIT:

I did not see any follow up to the autopsy that was done. I also don't think they'd do an autopsy for a guaranteed suicide case so.

I think those people mean 'someone should have brainwashed this child about 'god'
Quote by br33dlove
You sir, are a moron.

It takes balls of steel to overcome your most basic instinct of survival for starters. If the person thinks that they will be a burden on the rest of their family/friends by failing, then killing themselves will, to them, look like a very selfless thing. As to it being stupid, well, that's subjective, obviously she didn't think so.

It does not take balls of steel to kill yourself, it is a cowardly thing to do.
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
No doubt these people are misguided, but that doesn't make them stupid, does it?

Misguided, I agree.

I think when you take a step back from it and look, that's pretty obvious. But life isn't a past tense narrative where you can just lay out all the facts and map out the implications of your every action. If you're really distressed over something and you feel like your entire life's been ruined, I imagine it's kind of hard to step back and look at everything calmly. Someone else could probably come in and do all that for you, but if you're not displaying your emotions or asking for help, no one will know ya need it.

Human beings aren't rational creatures. We're all swayed by our emotions, some more so than others. I really don't think it's fair to say that people who commit suicide are stupid and selfish.
Quote by Pipsicles
It does not take balls of steel to kill yourself, it is a cowardly thing to do.

Try it.

Page 1 of 4