Hey so my friend blew 2 of his speakers on his cab, but the other 2 are fine. i was wondering if you could just unplug the 2 blown speakers and just play with the ones that are working fine. Would that be a good idea or no?

It's a cheap cab, and i wouldn't mind using it for low volume at home (until we get new speakers). Or would the other 2 blow ? :S

Edit: can i just unplug 2 speakers on a 4x12, to make it a 2x12 or no?
Last edited by Zeroxsk8er1 at Aug 16, 2010,
why did they blow?

not really, i would think the ohms would be wrong and could do more damage to the head...

though that might not bee 100 percent correct....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It's possible if you compensate for the new ohms and if you still have enough wattage with the two remaining speakers.

For example, if you were running at 16 ohms before you will most likely have to run the remaining two speakers at 8 ohms.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
What speakers are in the cab, and if you're using different types of speakers, which ones are blown?
Axe-FX Standard
You're best bet would be to find new speakers.
It wouldn't be good to risk blowing the other two.
The reason there are 4 speakers is so the power
is evenly distributed.
Until you find more speakers, your best bet would
be to go get a mini amp or something.
I wouldn't take the chance of blowing two perfectly
good speakers.
Just my opinion.
Quote by Fallen_Seeker
You're best bet would be to find new speakers.
It wouldn't be good to risk blowing the other two.
The reason there are 4 speakers is so the power
is evenly distributed.
Until you find more speakers, your best bet would
be to go get a mini amp or something.
I wouldn't take the chance of blowing two perfectly
good speakers.
Just my opinion.

If he's unplugging the blown speakers and wiring the cab to just use the working ones, he'll be fine (assuming his impedance and wattages are okay).
Axe-FX Standard
Might want to consider the lowered wattage and impedance mismatch (if tube) before you go doing wack stuff like this.

It will most likely do more harm than good.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Why don't you just give us this information:

What head is it?
What impedance/ohm options does it have?
How many watts is the head?
What kind of cab is it?
What speakers does it have?
Are all the speakers the same?
What is the ohm and watt rating of each?
Is the cab wired in series or parallel?
Quote by forsaknazrael
solid state amps handle impedance mismatches even worse.

Where did you get that?

Solid states can handle any impedance, just that the lower the impedance the louder they get.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not really.
If an SS amp is rated for 4 ohms, you can do 4 8 and 16 fine, and 4 will be the loudest, but 2 ohms would be an absolute no no.

The difference between this and the tube amp is that I can imagine the damage from a bad mismatch to an SS amp to be much more catastrophic and difficult to repair.

Yea, I missed that. Only some were rated at 2 ohms.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
SS amps hardly ever have problems with impedance - main reason being, they don't have an output transformer.

You need to open up the cab and see if the speaker cones are physically ripped or damaged. Seems odd for a pair of speakers to both go at once, if the amp had been putting out far too much power I assume all of them would have suffered similar damage.

My guess? Perhaps it's a cold solder joint or similar on the wiring for the two damaged speakers.
Generally speaking, SS amps have tolerances, whereas tube amps have requirements.

TS - As has been said, post back with the impedance of the speakers, the wattage, and a MSPaint diagram of how they're wired. We can help.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!