Hi guys,
i've been playing for about a year an a half now so am fairly new to the game, but gettin a lot of confidence in what i do (played a bit at a weddin recently).
My fingers are nice an calloused up an hard, but when playin my fingers tend to make a very noticable noise when rubbing on the strings (not all the time, just on some songs when i have to slide my hands up the neck).
I have cleaned the strings quite a few times by rubbing them with paper etc.

Me question is, does string lube actually an will i notice much difference?
I play a Martin DCX1RE with Martin bronze strings

Thanks guys an gals
Its pretty unavoidable.
Listen to some acoustinc songs.
You can hear it, and to be honest, I think it adds a pretty nice touch!
Quote by GeordieCal
Its pretty unavoidable.
Listen to some acoustinc songs.
You can hear it, and to be honest, I think it adds a pretty nice touch!

Yeah i often hear it in quite a few acoustic tracks that i listen to.... maybe i'm, just bein too critical of my own work... but it just seems more noticable when its me doin it!! Maybe i should record it an listen back
Honestly, you can practise lifting your fingers between chords that are a good distance away from each other, but on the other hand, you never want to take a finger off the fretboard if you can use that finger as a guide to the next chord. I think it's best to find a good balance between string noise and playability.

Different types of strings produce different results. I use coated strings, which for me helps with the squeaking problem, but reduces the amount of friction (therefore making it sometimes harder to get a good bite into the string when playing at higher tempos). Then again, I have heard people say coated strings actually makes the squeaking worse for them, possibly because they use more pressure to compensate for the loss of friction... I'm not sure.

I'd say the best thing to do is experiment with different string types, I guess is what I'm getting at.
I'd say the best thing to do is experiment with different string types

This.
Quote by tom183
This.

Which is shortly followed by the realization that no strings make it disappear entirely (though it is still certainly worth investigating). It will become more subtle with practice.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Which is shortly followed by the realization that no strings make it disappear entirely (though it is still certainly worth investigating). It will become more subtle with practice.

I dont have th problem with my air guitar so maybe thats the way forward!

Thanks guys. I might try a restring myself... gotta learn sometime!
Quote by MarcLuscombe
I dont have th problem with my air guitar so maybe thats the way forward!

Thanks guys. I might try a restring myself... gotta learn sometime!

Try some coated strings. Curt Mangan do them, Elixir do them (Nanowebs)
and so do D'Addario (probably others too).

This video is great for re-stringing.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
coated strings make a little less noise, or you might want to try flat wounds, which make a lot less. but string noise is a part of playing, and everyone from newbs to pros make some noise when they zoom up or down the wound strings.