I just can't pull that pinch harmonic sound off. I try slightly touching it with my thumb after picking the string, but nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Is it all in the technique, or do I need a different amp with gain or something?
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Hold your pick differently. The sweet spots are hard to find at first but once you're familiar with them it's not as hard.

Also, bridge pick up and lots of gain helps.
it could be your guitar or the distortion(amp/pedal). I couldn't do any pinch harmonics on my DS2, but easily on the Digitech RP80. Also easier on a les paul than on my jackson ke3.
Try a different distortion if you have a chance.
Also try raising the action on the guitar, it helps the harmonic to vibrate more freely. Gain and compression will also help you out
“All war is deception.” - Sun Tzu
Quote by Sen-si
Also try raising the action on the guitar, it helps the harmonic to vibrate more freely. Gain and compression will also help you out

I'll try the action part. Thanks.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Raised the action, tuned up, set the amp to 6505 on my Vypyr 15 and now I can get pinch harmonics off the top three strings. Thanks guys.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
nice u have the as me amp i have have u figured out how to do the modleing on it an this helped alot bc i couldnt do these either
Quote by Austin174
nice u have the as me amp i have have u figured out how to do the modleing on it an this helped alot bc i couldnt do these either

Actually, no. I'm a noob when it comes to amps, how to model them, etc.

Hell, I don't even know what EQing means.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Practice,Practice,Practice
Once you get good enough at them you should be able to clearly here a pinch harmonic on a clean tone.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
In my experience, the brand of pickup influences the pinchharmonix u get. With SDunc JB , you get a very singing toney tone (like ratt/dokken/halen), with emgs just crazy pure(ZAKK!), with dimarzio, also kinda icy but trashy and violent(mickmars), with crap pickups, it's not as easy, so quality pickups do alot of heavy lifting for ya. Try playing with a penny or a penny sized pick- yr thumb will be so likely to hit the string you can't avoid harmonics. Enjoy!
I got good by doing it unplugged...once you can clearly hear them without an amp, they scream once plugged-in.
Wow finally something I can do good to help someone else out lol...Every guitar has them in different spots you just got to find the spots,usually their right above the bridge pickup...I've been able to do them with any guitar(les pauls,les pauls w/emgs,strats with stock single coils,etc) and pedal (ds-1,ds-2,big muff,tube screamer,sd-1,etc) I've ever had,so I don't agree with the high gain pickup or pedal....I've been lucky to always have tube marshalls from the beginning pretty much so I don't know how important the amp plays...I think the most important thing about doing them really crazy like zakk wylde,john sykes style is your vibrato after it...so don't forget that
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think