Hey guys! I'm getting my Jackson RR5 tomorrow and it's gonna be in standard tuning..
If I change the strings immidiatly to Drop C strings, and intonate from there, do i need to fix the truss rod? Or do i need to give it to my local dealer and let them do it? :S Thanks!
If you change to Drop C, then yes your truss rod will probably need an adjustment. If you don't know what you're doing, bring it to a local dealer to adjust. It doesn't take long at all and it will save you a lot of trouble.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
If you want it to play well and not mess up your instrument yes it's a must. You should look into how to do truss rod work and such on your own, it'll save you a ton of cash and it's a valuable skill to know how to do.
Hmm, okay well I could read a couple of guides.. Do you know where it is on a Jackson RR5? I mean, where do you find the rod ? XD
Quote by Mackan1994
will it cost me money? and is it REALLY needed?

When I changed tuning from E to C on my fixed bridge guitar, it needed a slight adjustment because I had a fret buzz issue. It cost me no money at my local shop because I'm a regular customer and it was a quick fix.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

I've already ordered the jackson and i like jackson instruments. I hate the looks on bc riches so i would never get them. Yea im buying 11-52 strings, so yeah.

That truss rod thing worries me a bit though..
Quote by Mackan1994
I've already ordered the jackson and i like jackson instruments. I hate the looks on bc riches so i would never get them. Yea im buying 11-52 strings, so yeah.

That truss rod thing worries me a bit though..

It's nothing to worry about as long as you get it adjusted.

Ignore the hater, the RR5 is a fantastic instrument.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

Quote by Slashestranged
dont even get the jackson, theyre poorly made pieces of shit, instead get a bc rich

get lost, troll.

don't worry about the truss rod. really.
and really we cant really tell you exactly how your guitar will come in, so just wait and see what happens once you get it and tune it down and we'll work from there.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
But is it dangerous to get new strings, tune it down to D/Drop c and then wait for a couple of days b4 i go to the store to fix it?
From my experience with it, I was in C a few weeks before I even learned I needed to adjust the truss rod, and everything turned out fine.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

You may not even need to adjust the truss rod. Just do it and see what happens. You're dropping tuning and using a bigger string gauge, so the tension on the neck wouldn't be that much different than light strings in standard.

Don't over pre worry about it, just see what happens. If you need to, then okay, and if not then great!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You may not even need to adjust the truss rod. Just do it and see what happens. You're dropping tuning and using a bigger string gauge, so the tension on the neck wouldn't be that much different than light strings in standard.

Don't over pre worry about it, just see what happens. If you need to, then okay, and if not then great!

This above is the correct answer. String it up, tune it to pitch and check the neck's relief. If it's close to where it should be just let everything settle for week or so and then adjust, if needed, to get it right. If after stringing it up the relief is way off then adjust to get it close and wait a week before checking/setting it again.
Quote by webwarmiller
This above is the correct answer. String it up, tune it to pitch and check the neck's relief. If it's close to where it should be just let everything settle for week or so and then adjust, if needed, to get it right. If after stringing it up the relief is way off then adjust to get it close and wait a week before checking/setting it again.

How do i check the relief? Thanks btw!
Quote by Mackan1994
How do i check the relief? Thanks btw!

Lightly fret the low E at the first and last fret at the same time. The causes the string to form a straight line btw the top of the first fret and the top of the second to last fret. Fretted as such you are looking for a tiny gap btw the top of frets 7-8 and the bottom of the string. By tiny, I'm talking the thickness of a playing card, around .25mm (or .08 - .012 inches)

If you have no gap whatsoever you will need to loosen the truss (turn counter-clockwise). If you have too need to tighten the truss. Small 1/8 turns at a time an recheck. Truss adjustments are about 75% immediate and will further settle over the next day or so...
Quote by webwarmiller
Lightly fret the low E at the first and last fret at the same time. The causes the string to form a straight line btw the top of the first fret and the top of the second to last fret. Fretted as such you are looking for a tiny gap btw the top of frets 7-8 and the bottom of the string. By tiny, I'm talking the thickness of a playing card, around .25mm (or .08 - .012 inches)

If you have no gap whatsoever you will need to loosen the truss (turn counter-clockwise). If you have too need to tighten the truss. Small 1/8 turns at a time an recheck. Truss adjustments are about 75% immediate and will further settle over the next day or so...

TY alot !!!!
Quote by webwarmiller

Btw is it the last fret, the 22th fret or where the neck meets the body? :S im a bit confused. Thanks !