wat

Bareknuckle War Pigs are crazy high output. Not sure what the **** you mean by scream... And output=/=tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Would it not be a little more versatile to use anything relatively high-gain, with a TubeScreamer effect?
What amp are you using?

Higher gain pickups aren't necessarily better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Nu amp.

Pick ups alone will not give u teh epic toanz.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Raijouta
What amp are you using?

Higher gain pickups aren't necessarily better.

They can be if you adjust them lower, less magnetic pull=more sustain.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at Aug 16, 2010,
^Holy crap, that was unexpected.

I thought you were going to have a Spider or a cheap amp, but a Mark IV? Damn.

Anyway, if you just plan on playing metal, active pickups might do well for you. However, if you don't have space for the battery in the control cavity, you have to make your own battery slot.

If you don't want actives, check out the Bareknuckle pickups that the guy mentioned above.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
You don't necessarily have to have the highest gain pickups with today's amps. For example I went from active emgs to passive SD's and didn't even really notice a difference in gain.
Guitars
Amps
What do you NOT like about your pickups at the moment?

Output isn't necessarily a good thing, and it doesn't mean better tone.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm going to be getting a ESP LTD H-1001FR. The pickups that it comes with are good but in all honesty, I'm trying to go for an Iron Maiden sound . I know that they use a lot of hum canceling gain type of stuff and thats my main goal. But yea my amp is freakin awesome, spider doesn't have anything on mine, it has four tubes in the back and it gets LOUD!
Quote by TMF128

LOL

Don't worry, I was thinking the same thing

For super high output - Bareknuckle Warpig/Painkiller, Motor City Nuke, Duncan El Diablo, DiMarzio X2N - though I'm not sure why you'd want super high output when you're playing Maiden
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, the other thing for maiden is they use Marshalls, but if you want to stick with your current amp a Duncan Distortion might work.

And I can has Mark IV?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Maybe have a look to Dimarzio super distortion, I think Adrian Smith uses the Dimarzio SD.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by oneblackened
Well, the other thing for maiden is they use Marshalls, but if you want to stick with your current amp a Duncan Distortion might work.

And I can has Mark IV?

what do you mean "i can has mark IV?"
Maiden hardly uses high output pickups. Smith, Gers, and Murray have used Seymour Duncan/DiMarzio pickups throughout their career with Maiden, specifically the JB, JB Jr, Hot Rails, and Super Distortion.

Those pickups are more like hot-rodded PAF types (and attempted to replicate that tone in stacked singlecoils) than high-output metal oriented insanobuckers.
Last edited by Seref at Aug 17, 2010,
So then which would you say is better for an Iron Maiden tone, a dimarzio super distortion, or a seymour duncan JB or Hotrail?
Quote by conor1423
So then which would you say is better for an Iron Maiden tone, a dimarzio super distortion, or a seymour duncan JB or Hotrail?

Probably the Super Distortion.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by TMF128

I thought you were going to have a Spider or a cheap amp, but a Mark IV? Damn.

LAWL
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
hey guys while we're on the topic of pickups what pickup does john petrucci use in his bridge position? i thought id just ask rather than starting a whole new thread
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by conor1423

I'd say Super Distortion just cause that's what Adrian Smith currently uses in his bridge position on his Dinky. That and JBs can sound like crap unless they're in the just-right guitar body.

Quote by Karpet King
hey guys while we're on the topic of pickups what pickup does john petrucci use in his bridge position? i thought id just ask rather than starting a whole new thread

Probably one of the 643956256096 signature pickups DiMarzio has made for him.
okay, thanks to everybody who helped me out on this one I'm gonna be getting a ESP LTD H-1001 FR soon and switching the pickups for a super distortion and a PAF DP103. thanks!