So hey guys what's up? My name is Brandon and I've been playing for about 2 months now. I really want to get good at guitar and I was wondering if you guys could tell me things I should most definitely learn in order to become a great guitarist in the future. I realize I'm not going to become Hendrix or Paige over night, but I'm very dedicated and want this badly. I'm currently playing on an Epiphone Les Paul Studio stock pickups. Sometime in the future I'm going to purchase a Schecter C1 Hellraiser and Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Just thought I'd throw that in there. Thanks!
Not in any specific order, here's what I teach my students:

Chords - Open and Barre
Notes on the neck - Gotta know 'em
How to strum
How to properly pick
How to play lead - knowledge of scales and their correct application
How to determine the key of a song
Theory

The list could go on and on, but this gives you a good idea of what I expect my students to learn.

Good luck!!!
Ok firstly;

Learn the notes of the fretboard (INCREDIBLY useful)

Secondly learn the C major scale, then G then D in that order

Learn the chords of those in that order (practise strumming with a metronome)

Learn the Circle of Fifths

Learn the I-Iv-V progression

Then Pentatonic minor scale (all 5 positions) and Blues minor scale in all keys.

Also, this is in the wrong section. Thats all i can remember atm, good luck
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Just learn all the things you can about guitar, love the instrument, and work in you skills with the time, then you have to determinate the sound that you want, so you will can really choose well your next guitar
thats basically the beggining , I think
Scales are moveable. Learn the root 5 and 6 scales and you can move them anywhere on the fretboard and be playing the right notes. That's the cool thing about learning patterns. No need to learn C major, then G and D. Just a helpful hint.
Thanks guys. and yeah I realized this was probably in the wrong section but I couldn't be asked to find the right one lol. haha. I appreciate the input though thank you. And to anyone else reading the thread if you want to add to it please do!
Most importantly, find a good teacher. I took a year off from mine once. When I went back to see just how far I'd gone, I thought I was really great, hot stuff. My teacher, a former 80's jazz session musician(Jazz musicians are good. 80's guitarists are good. Session musicians are good. 80's Jazz session musicians are scary), shot me down in about ten seconds, and I learned more in the following month than that entire year alone. Nothing makes things go better than a good teacher. It's like a chef; If you just read basic flavours of various ingredients, ans mix them together randomly, it's going to have a lot of trial-and-error to get it right. Having a master chef teach you what doesn't work and what does is a huge asset.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 16, 2010,
So yeah you need chords and notes on the neck and scales and theory and all that jazz, but dont forget FEELING. Dont just sit there and run scales, feel what you play, work on timing, vibrato, clean slides/bends, and remember that shredding isn't the most important thing, just because you can play fast doesn't mean you're good. And yeah, pretty much everything else that's been mentioned in this thread already (all the theory and picking and stuff) is a must, too. Hope that helps
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Scales are moveable. Learn the root 5 and 6 scales and you can move them anywhere on the fretboard and be playing the right notes. That's the cool thing about learning patterns. No need to learn C major, then G and D. Just a helpful hint.

but its always helpful to KNOW what note youre playing rather than what position in a pattern, no?

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Learn the notes on the fretboard as stated above,then your major chords(aka open chords) then learn how to make a barre chord(aka power chord) and be able to move then up and down the neck and on different strings,learn your minor pentatonic scale so you can improvise similar to the guitarists you mention in your post...then once you know all that then its time to decide where you wanna go next. And if I were you after only playing 2 months I wouldn't be so dead set on a certain guitar schecters are really popular right now I understand that...when I started playing I never heard of them...the guitar you got right now is a tried an true guitar that's been a staple of the guitar world since the beginning of time lol .I'm not knocking schecter or any brand I'm just saying at 2 months you shouldn't be worried about a guitar because even if you had that guitar right now it wouldn't be helping you at all bro...just remember that and take your time and HAVE FUN!!! If your not having fun then what's the use...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
Learn the notes on the fretboard as stated above,then your major chords(aka open chords) then learn how to make a barre chord(aka power chord) and be able to move then up and down the neck and on different strings,learn your minor pentatonic scale so you can improvise similar to the guitarists you mention in your post...then once you know all that then its time to decide where you wanna go next. And if I were you after only playing 2 months I wouldn't be so dead set on a certain guitar schecters are really popular right now I understand that...when I started playing I never heard of them...the guitar you got right now is a tried an true guitar that's been a staple of the guitar world since the beginning of time lol .I'm not knocking schecter or any brand I'm just saying at 2 months you shouldn't be worried about a guitar because even if you had that guitar right now it wouldn't be helping you at all bro...just remember that and take your time and HAVE FUN!!! If your not having fun then what's the use...

Yeah dude you're lucky to have an Epi LP as your first guitar
Quote by glenthemann
but its always helpful to KNOW what note youre playing rather than what position in a pattern, no?

Work on learning both. The easiest thing to learn of the two is the scale pattern. So, work on that so you can at least begin to work on becoming less mechanical - as someone else mentioned, so you can inject some feeling into your playing. At first this is going to be difficult, because you're so wrapped up in just trying to play the right pattern.

As you're working on learning the scales, also work on learning the notes. This is one of the essential keys to playing lead. You really need to be to the point where you can recognize the current note you're playing, at the fastest speed you can play. This will allow you to jump up and down the neck to the desired note. At that point, you become less dependent on scale patterns and you're just playing.

Make sense?
Quote by glenthemann

I know what ur saying bro and I totally agree but you know how it is noobs never totally listen to us when we tell them stuff that we messed up on when we were learning...shit I wish I would learned more about theory in my first few years I wouldn't have had to take so much time to break bad habits...but its the same as trying to tell intermediates to play to a metronome...you know it goes in one ear and out the other lol

Quote by rdobson2
Learn the notes on the fretboard as stated above,then your major chords(aka open chords) then learn how to make a barre chord(aka power chord) ...

Just wanted to point out that barre chords are separate from power chords. When I refer to barre chords, I'm referring to notes with a root on the 5th or 6th string that use the index finger to barre across the first 5 or 6 string and then fretting an open chord shape with the remaining fingers. Power chords, which really aren't chords at all, utilize only the root and the 5th scale interval. For example, the G5 power chord, which is G and D, or the E5 power chord, which is E and B. These are not barre chords, as they typically only rely upon 2 or 3 strings being played at once.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Just wanted to point out that barre chords are separate from power chords. When I refer to barre chords, I'm referring to notes with a root on the 5th or 6th string that use the index finger to barre across the first 5 or 6 string and then fretting an open chord shape with the remaining fingers. Power chords, which really aren't chords at all, utilize only the root and the 5th scale interval. For example, the G5 power chord, which is G and D, or the E5 power chord, which is E and B. These are not barre chords, as they typically only rely upon 2 or 3 strings being played at once.

Oh I know bro I just don't wanna get too technical on a beginner...chances are he's gonna take bits and pieces from all these to go along with the standard nirvana nevermind cd lol ..me and my nephew started playing at the exact same time pretty much and while I'm doing what I do he's content with just strumming chords because he got way too frustrated by his teacher when he started dropping all this theory and stuff on him while I was just letting jimi teach me...but I probably wouldn't be a good teacher I was just giving some tips man