I'm starting to learn fingerpicking. I was wondering if anyone uses finger picks or just bare fingers.

thanks in advance...

-Tom
i use bare fingers because most fingerpicks wont fit my left hand comfortably
I finger pick. It depends on what kind of sound I want. Bare fingers produce very warm sounds from an acoustic guitar and using finger picks produces more of a sharp sound. Sometimes you need that depending on what you play.

Would you like me to suggest finger picks for you to buy? It's not as easy as it sounds because once you purchase them you will likely have to go through an adjustment procedure to fit them tightly to your fingers. I only use a thumb, index and middle pick because those are really the only fingers I play with if I'm using picks.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
i use finger picks when playing country or spanish guitar. i just went to the guitar store and got a cheap set of dunlops they works good...
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
Quote by skywalker45
I finger pick. It depends on what kind of sound I want. Bare fingers produce very warm sounds from an acoustic guitar and using finger picks produces more of a sharp sound. Sometimes you need that depending on what you play.

Would you like me to suggest finger picks for you to buy? It's not as easy as it sounds because once you purchase them you will likely have to go through an adjustment procedure to fit them tightly to your fingers. I only use a thumb, index and middle pick because those are really the only fingers I play with if I'm using picks.

if you could suggest picks that would be great.

thanks in advance...

-tom
They are cheap enough to experiment with... I always used Dunlops, but recently tried the Propick models that have the finger cutout.
They seemed pretty good; and they are a bit more adjustable than the Dunlops.

Some folks like the plastic ones; they give a little softer sound. You can dial them in to fit by using hot water to soften them a bit and then bending to shape.

Most all steel guitar players use them, as do dobro/resonator guys. Perhaps a country-oriented forum would have some other suggestions.
Me...I quit using them.
I've heard great things from aLaska picks,
http://www.alaskapik.com/

Haven't tried them myself, but from what I've heard. As for me, I only use a thumb pick (starting too) as the other finger picks feel really awkward and I tend to use the flesh more than my nails.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Bare fingers, it's rare that a finger pick will fit me properly. If I had an acoustic guitar I might choose finger picks for the extra percussive sounds when it hits the strings.
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. Actually Bikewer already gave the advice I would give. I use plastic picks and always use Dunlop, except my thumbpick is a national. Normally you won't find the exact fit in a music store so like Bikewer said you will need to dip the picks in very hot water, just for a second, and place them on your fingers and adjust for tightness and curvature. They need to be very tight just above your cuticle or they will slip around. It will take a long time to get used to them. You're gonna have the feeling that you need to dig into the strings. This will cause annoying twanging and buzzing but after awhile things will smooth out. It's just another skill like anything else. Sometimes I use them and sometimes not. Some songs sound much better with them and some not so much. It all depends on what you're playing.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
It's a matter of preference. I tend to just use my fingers. You can get a mellower somewhat rounder sound with your fingers than with a pick.

However, a thumbpick is very useful when you're chicken picking, that is, playing a bass line and rhythm with your thumb. Doing this without a thumbpick is nearly impossible since your thumb is at an angle from the string and therefore you are hitting the string with the side of your thumb which makes it hard to control dynamics.

Hope this helps,
Willem
For more information, see: http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com