Alright, it's gonna be a while until I purchase this, but I like to plan ahead. I play a lot of 80s hard rock (Bon Jovi, Extreme, Motley Crue, Whitesnake), some blues, and Dream Theater. So my main priority is a really nice british voiced crunch, but I want to be able to go into metal tones as well for my Dream Theater fix. My absolute favorite tone is Nuno Bettncourts, specifically in When I'm President.

Requirements
-$1500 budget (I can stretch if I find something real special)
-50 watts is ideal
-2 channel
-Prefer going NEW

Any ideas?
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
Im too lazy to think of specific amps right now... but obviuosly a nice tube amp would satisfy you...

however, i think you should get a tube amp thats not necessarily a high gain tube amp, and rather throw in a pedal or two to achieve the high gain tones... having 1500 to spend this is easily doable..

ill leave it to ug for specific suggestions though cuz again... im lazy
Guitars:
1991 Fender American Stratocaster
2008 Dean Ml '79

Amps:
Egnater Tweaker
Fender G-DEC 15

Pedals:
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop 535Q Chrome Series Wah
MXR Dyna Comp
Ibanez TS-808
You're most likely going to want a Marshall because you'll get that British sound your after easily, and if need be its easy to add a pedal to achieve gain. Look at the JCM 2000 DSL 100, JCM 900 or 800, or even maybe a JVM series
Id look at the obvious Marshall amps, and Traynor amps.

But, If you can sacrafice going used(MINE Was brand new from a pawn shop) Go find a JCM DSL100. two channels. Great clean, and classic crunch on channel one, everything from classic crunch to hard rock on second channel, and with the gain switch in, its very high gain. Plus it has a scoop switch for metal tones. Its a bad ass versatile amp

EDIT: I really need to try these Jet City amps! Theyre the coolest thing since the Ht5!!
Last edited by nickdohle at Aug 16, 2010,
Jca50?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by Metalcore Jero
You're most likely going to want a Marshall because you'll get that British sound your after easily, and if need be its easy to add a pedal to achieve gain. Look at the JCM 2000 DSL 100, JCM 900 or 800, or even maybe a JVM series

I've tried the DSL/TSL series heads and I didn't really enjoy them much. If I found a good deal on one I might get one, but other than that, no.

I've tried the JCM 900 also and didn't like it much either. I haven't tried the JCM 800 yet, but I'll keep it in the back of my hea since I would prefer to look at other options that are new. I have considered a JVM, I've yet to try one out though.

EDIT: I am actually very interested in the JCA50, since I love Soldano's higher end amps and have heard good things about Jet City. One thing that concerns me is the available gain. I'll have to keep an eye out for some decent clips.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

Last edited by baf250 at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by nickdohle

EDIT: I really need to try these Jet City amps! Theyre the coolest thing since the Ht5!!

And look how much every one here talks those up now . That kind of money puts you into awesome used amp territory. I'd be looking at Splawn and Framus if I were you.
JCAs are GREAT, but dude, for that kind of money you could easily look at a nice used Dual Rec, JCM 800, among others.

If you are looking for a great amp but want to spare your wallet however, a JCA100H/50H plus perhaps an Orange 4x12 would be really, really amazing.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by consecutive e
And look how much every one here talks those up now . That kind of money puts you into awesome used amp territory. I'd be looking at Splawn and Framus if I were you.

Thats kind of why I said it like that. New budget amps seem to get so much hype around here. And great addition with Splawn! never even crossed my mind.

EDIT:
Quote by CL/\SH
JCAs are GREAT, but dude, for that kind of money you could easily look at a nice used Dual Rec, JCM 800, among others.

If you are looking for a great amp but want to spare your wallet however, a JCA100H/50H plus perhaps an Orange 4x12 would be really, really amazing.

Wouldnt that mean his 4x12 cost more than his amp head? Could he afford that?? orange 4x12s are about 1100 new I think. Maybe more
Last edited by nickdohle at Aug 16, 2010,
used splawn quickrod would be perfect. Can be had for 1200ish
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
used splawn quickrod would be perfect. Can be had for 1200ish

Wow after listening to some of those clips it sounds really great. Thanks!

@CL/\SH - Good point, I suppose the Jet City would be like a last resort if I had to cut my budget. You never know these days :/
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

@ Nick, I've seen used Orange 4x12s go for 600-800. It would be a really good option assuming TS could settle going used for the cab. He could also just get an Orange 2x12, which would be just as amazing. I understand that it's generaly a rule of thumb to spend more on your head, but in the case of a JCA, there may be sligh exception. They're are great amps which can easily be priced heavier if JCA chose to do so.

@ TS; yeah, I mostly mean that as a last resort type deal. But there are very few NEW combinations as good as a JCA 50 and an Orange 2x12. Going used would certainly open doors, very, very large doors.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
$1500 with the cab?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
@ TS; yeah, I mostly mean that as a last resort type deal. But there are very few NEW combinations as good as a JCA 50 and an Orange 2x12. Going used would certainly open doors, very, very large doors.

Well after hearing clips of the Splawn Quickrod, I think I fell in love. And I could only afford that used. I'll have to try that out, it's real nice. I really wanted to avoid going used, but I think the Quickrod is the best I've heard yet.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat