So I've been looking at some boutique pups to possibly purchase, and these two brands are basically the most prominent boutique winders

more so than which models (I can figure out that one I think) what is different between the two brands? What are your thoughts on the two?

If you have any suggestions as far as what pups, I'm looking for fairly high output 6 and 7 string humbuckers that have good clarity, sound good in basswood (though also include any good for mahogany) and that are good for pretty much all styles of music

thanks

PS: is it possible that different manufacturers make the same pup but call it different names? After all there are only a certain number of ways pickups can made, so it's possible right?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Rock monkey isn't discussed that much on here, so I have a feeling you will get more responses for BN. Myself I don't have experience with either.
Guitars
Amps
you wont go wrong either way.

both will talk to you on the phone and custom wind whatever you want.

to say one is better than the other is impossible imo.

UGers get 10% off at RM. some post cords full screen name here for the ts. im not sure of the right spelling.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
corduroyew is his screen name. hes chris. hes awesome.

www.rockmonkeyguitars.com is his website, you can email him too. email address is on the website.

i have two strat sets from him, and i'm in the process of making a set of pickups for my les paul now.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
corduroyew is his screen name. hes chris. hes awesome.

www.rockmonkeyguitars.com is his website, you can email him too. email address is on the website.

i have two strat sets from him, and i'm in the process of making a set of pickups for my les paul now.

orly? you must tell me more.

I own a set of Strat pickups, a set of PAFs, and a prototype single coil, all from Chris.
Love em.
Remember, those two aren't the only brands in the world. Just because they are other people's perfect pickups doesn't mean they will be theres, I would suggest looking up custom or boutique pickup makers on google. To be fair, pickups aren't hugely expensive and they aren't exactly a terrible commitment, or exclusivity to pickups. I still suggest searching all over and getting a real idea for what brands are out there, what features are consistent between the type of pickup you are looking for, and listen to clips of them whenever you can.

Though its hard to judge by clips, I haven't heard any good rockmonkey clips so far, but I'm not fully willing to judge based purely on that because the clips I've heard were played by less than spectacular players on less than spectacular gear.
Both are very good pickup companies, but I'd also take a look at some others, don't limit yourself to two companies. If you want a boutique, American made pickup, check out Motor City Pickups. I hear the Nuke sounds amazing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'll put in a vote for Vintage Vibe pickups. They're hand-wound, custom made and sound fantastic. Pete, the owner of the company, is a great guy too, his customer service is wonderful.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Though its hard to judge by clips, I haven't heard any good rockmonkey clips so far, but I'm not fully willing to judge based purely on that because the clips I've heard were played by less than spectacular players on less than spectacular gear.

I think it's really hard to judge pickups based on clips of any kind. How much of the tone is pickups? what settings are used? Most people won't even tell you the amp or guitar.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I think it's really hard to judge pickups based on clips of any kind. How much of the tone is pickups? what settings are used? Most people won't even tell you the amp or guitar.

Yeah, that's why buying new pickups is a real gamble. Even if you can play them in one guitar, they might sound completely different in your guitar and with your setup, it's really hard to describe a pickup's tone, especially through clips, unless there are extensive before and after ones, in the same guitar, with the same settings.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
That's one of the reasons I went with Chris. He worked with me, and through a long back and forth process, we decided what properties of pickups I would be pleased with. I named and showed him a lot of tones, and told him how I planned to wire them, and eventually got a custom set of single coils that fit my every need.
The Silverback PAFs were much more straightforward, since I basically said...hey...I Angus Young's tone. Make it like that, but more raunchy. Haha.
Any set of handmade custom pickups is going to be good, it just depends which company you like the look of. I've been round to Rock Monkey Towers a few times and Chris is frighteningly knowledgeable - absolutely everything he does is carefully considered to get the best possible tone, even magnetises his own polepieces.

He also has a kitten that wanders round the workshop and likes to sleep inside his amps.
That's the kind of company I like to support!