I'm looking for an "everything-but-metal" guitar. Not hating, just already have a guitar which can achieve the sounds.

It would be used most often clean. Eagles, Snow Patrol, lots of post-rock, City & Colour, Modest Mouse, and modern rock (3 days grace, offspring) A lot of "chord-y" music.

I've seen/heard that the Epi Dot does this well. I'm just looking for other options. I like the fact that its a semi-hollow as well. Any big differences between the Dot and Thinline Tele?

I'll be going to L&M to try guitars out soon, so if its there, thatd be a plus. Don't really want a Strat, my Schecter's a superstrat, but I'm open to everything.
Budget is also fairly flexible. Possibly $800 CAD. I will also be looking for pedals too. Possibly a reverb, chorus, and loop.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Aug 16, 2010,
ive heard nothing but great things about epiphone dots and how versatile they are. but i am also very biased against fenders. regardless, id go with the dot
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
A tele or a strat would be good, but I also have a firebird on which chords sound excellent when playing clean.
honestly something like a fender strat or telecaster would fill that spot you could get an american made and the clean would sound incredable and i believe there not too much out of that price at least where i get them correct me if im wrong
Quote by Slashestranged
Dude epiphoneguitars fûcking suck. They're made by filthy immimgrants. Instead get a bc rich

BTW most Americans are immigrants, somehow

Epiphones arent that bad. I have 2 I use regularly and they are holding up well. Im going to suggest an SG. They work well for almost all the bands you listed if you know how to EQ
Quote by Slashestranged
Dude epiphoneguitars fûcking suck. They're made by filthy immimgrants. Instead get a bc rich

Seriously I don't get you anymore. Every thread you just troll about.

Anywho, I'd go for a tele because I'm a sucker for the shape
But when it comes to cleans, single coils will be great BUT it may not achieve the right modern rock tone. It's not impossible, but it may be a bit annoying.
Used Gibson SG Classic, Fender American Strat w/ humbuckers, or if you can find one a Schecter C-1 Classic would be pretty good. Or how about like a Fender Jag, but then again Im being a little biased towards the shape of that gutiar :P
Quote by obeythepenguin

I think it can speak for itself.

Gretsch ftw!

Try to swim without getting wet - I dare you.
a strat with a humbucker in the bridge. Wire it up for coils spilling and you've got a guitar that will play just about anything.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
How about a Tele with a humbucker and single coil?

Ok, so instead of just one guitar, what ones should I be testing out? So far:
- Nashville Tele
- HSS Strat
- Schecter C-1 (I like, but not sure about another one)
- Gretsch
- Firebird (How would the P-90's be? I like the look of it, but the P-90's turn me off)

How high up would the Dot be on the list of what I should get?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
P-90's sound great. It's halfway between a humbucker and a single coil sounding. People a lot of people love P-90's more than anything!

Edit: It looks like the Epiphone Firebird is the one within your price range. The humbuckers on that sound great too. I tried one out yesterday.
Last edited by Wisthekiller at Aug 17, 2010,
ok im gonna break away from the pack and say get a Washburn their Indonesian models play as well as some of the other mentioned here ( i know cuz i tried several teles and several Schecters and Gibsons before i chose my WM24) some are kinda sttep but you can fin a Washburn Culprit for 6 les than $600 if youre lucky
A Nashville Tele or a Tele Deluxe. Both are pretty amazing.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Quote by corrupt_freedom
prs custom 24 25th anniversary. Thats a good guitar and very versatile

This, or any other of the SE series are definitely worth a try. My SE hollow body fills the bill for everything short of metal, being the reason why I got it actually after being in the same position as yourself
'72 Telecaster Deluxe re-issue. Used market is very nice to you as far as these guitars go, and if it's a testament to anything, there are a TON of pro musicians, especially in the post-rock/indie rock world who gig with one every night.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Aug 18, 2010,
The PRS' are nice. Does the Tele have the "bite" that I want, when needed? Or does it have that "twang" yet?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by connorhxcchaos
Lol, custom 24 25th anniversary is just a tad more than $700...

I may be able to stretch it a touch. Buy ing new pedals as well though.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Schecters are very versitle for any genre, and they can coiltap, id personally get an ASH tele (ash sounds better, and a lil bit warmer, and a lil bit lighter)
Eh.
You might want to try a Hagstrom? The "Swede"-models are very versatile, because of the coil splitting. IE you get booth singlecoil and humbucker sounds. I've also heard som good things about their hollowbodies, like the "Viking" model.

http://hagstromguitars.com/home.html

/Proud owner of a Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Quote by AWACS
I may be able to stretch it a touch. Buy ing new pedals as well though.

Hes talking about thereal PRS cause he wants to be funny. The SE is $664 if im not mistaken
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Dont get a Gretsch, I bought one and hated it. Either save a bit more and get a Gibson LP studio faded, or buy a used one for around $600. Out of all my guitars it can do almost anything as far as sound.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Thanks Penguin for setting me straight. So I'll be trying out everything now in the store. Thanks guys.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I'd recommend a Godin of some sort, depending on where you live, the Progression series should be in that price range. Fantastic guitars. Even the new session series is cheap, but humbucker/single/single with the coil tap for the humbucker, and they go for only about $450 CDN. Made in North America too, can't beat that.

check out the links below, most people haven't heard of this brand and it's a shame because for the price, they are simply the best out there IMO

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinprogressionp.htm

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsessionp.htm
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Look for a used Gibson SG Standard or an SG Special, and add coil splits if you want to.