I have played bass for about three years now. My first was a squier affinity p-bass, and about six months ago I upgraded to a Spector performer 4 bass (Spector's budget line bass, $550 retail). I recently had the urge to adopt a p-bass tone. Thus, I became interested in the Squier Classic Vibe series basses, more specifically, the 60's P-bass ($350 retail). To afford this, I would HAVE to sell my Spector. I have narrowed it down to 3 options:

Option 1: Sell the Spector and buy the Squier Classic Vibe P-bass.

Option 2: Sell the Spector, SAVE about $100 bucks more for a used MIM P-bass. Please note that I am only 17 years old with no job and making money is tough, especially during the recently started school year.

Option 3: Don't sell the Spector, it's not worth it just to buy a Squier.

TL;DR: Is it worth it to trade my low end Spector for a Squier CV P-bass?

Thanks =)
It honestly comes down to a matter of what you think suits you best. I'm doing the same thing, I'm selling my 5 String BC Rich to get a VM Jazz Bass and a new amp. So, I'd say go for it
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Getting the Squire and a good amp would be worth it. Otherwise no, save out for something more
I have an Acoustic B100 amp and that suits my needs just fine. I'm pretty sure I can get a nice P-bass tone out of that.
go for one of the squiers, sell the bass you have now. honestly the MIM fenders are IMO overpriced hell the MIA's are as well. the VM/CV squiers are every bit as good as a MIM fender.
if you go for a P bass, get flatwound strings, they sound phenomenal on P basses.
You shouldn't have to save extra money for the MIM, a used MIM Precision should run you the same or less than the CV Squier. The build quality is about the same between the CV/VM Squier's and the MIM, but MIM's seem to be either gems or lemons, so you'd have to give it a try first. Squier or Fender, you can't really go wrong either way.

You really should try the CV and any MIM you'd be looking at first. It's not worth selling your Spector if the Spector feels better to you.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Windwaker
Option 2 definitely. The used MIM P-bass will outclass the new squire. Good luck making money!

LIES AND SLANDER

I would say the Squier. I love Fender but the MIM basses can be classes as "meh". Whereas the Classic Vintage and Vintage Modified Squiers are fantastic. Considering the on/off quality control the MIMs have you really don't gain anything by choosing MIM over high-end Squier (except the logo on the headstock.)

Btw, do check out the Vintage Modified Precision as well. Its as good as the CV without the sticky neck.

Edit:

OPTION FOUR: Get a used Squier.
Quote by Spaz91
LIES AND SLANDER

I would say the Squier. I love Fender but the MIM basses can be classes as "meh". Whereas the Classic Vintage and Vintage Modified Squiers are fantastic. Considering the on/off quality control the MIMs have you really don't gain anything by choosing MIM over high-end Squier (except the logo on the headstock.)

Btw, do check out the Vintage Modified Precision as well. Its as good as the CV without the sticky neck.

Edit:

OPTION FOUR: Get a used Squier.

I've noticed that a lot of really good/talented local band's bassist play Squiers instead of MIMs, unless they can afford a Deluxe Active. But when they get endorsements they usually end up switching to a high end, MIA/MIJ bass. I love my MIM but high end Squiers are just as good in my opinion.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Quote by Nolanrox
I've noticed that a lot of really good/talented local band's bassist play Squiers instead of MIMs, unless they can afford a Deluxe Active. But when they get endorsements they usually end up switching to a high end, MIA/MIJ bass. I love my MIM but high end Squiers are just as good in my opinion.

that seems to be the opinion of a lot of people these days, including myself.

either fender is dropping the ball, or squier is stepping up their "A" game.
Quote by Alucard817
that seems to be the opinion of a lot of people these days, including myself.

either fender is dropping the ball, or squier is stepping up their "A" game.

fender own squier, the main difference is squier is generally for people on a budget
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Well, with most MIMs you're paying for the name on the headstock, not so much the quality of the bass.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

Everyone interested in this thread should watch this video.

Also I'd like to point out that quality control is only an issue if you buy straight from a manufacturer or the shop that sells it you doesn't do it's own checks.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Aug 17, 2010,
Don't forget about the Classic series MIM Fenders. They are a definite step up from MIM standards. My Classic 70s jazz bass is excellent and based on consistently great reviews quality control isn't an issue either. Not sure how much they go for used in the US though, but definitely worth considering
Quote by edgeyyz
The Jazz was the only one where I thought there was a very noticeable difference, but that really shows you how awesome the Squiers are.

I actually thought the Squier sounded better! The pickups on Ed's custom are far too hot sounding, the Squier just has great clarity.
Quote by Raizer Sabre
fender own squier, the main difference is squier is generally for people on a budget

yes fender owns squier, but squier is still a separate entity in the sense that they use different factories then fender.
Quote by Alucard817
yes fender owns squier, but squier is still a separate entity in the sense that they use different factories then fender.

That's currently true, but just wanted to add that in the past there were several brief intermittent periods when Squiers were produced in the USA at Fender factories. 89-90 being one of them, and I think after Japan fugi-gen contract ended being another.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Aug 17, 2010,
Quote by Jammy Pige
That's currently true, but just wanted to add that in the past there were several brief intermittent periods when Squiers were produced in the USA at Fender factories. 89-90 being one of them, and I think after Japan fugi-gen contract ended being another.

Also the Japanese Squiers made in the 80s are superior to the Fenders made then and a lot of them now too.