Allright ive played guitar for 4 years now and for the past 2 years ive wanted to get a bass and learn how to play it. So i was wondering what would be a good bass for me to get? and would i need to get a bass amp?

Sorry for these questions i just really want to know because bass sounds pretty cool to play
I Have Nothing Important to Say.
Hate to be a dick but everything you need to know is on the FAQ.

The only thing I'll really make clear is yes DO get a bass amp. Your guitar amp will work for a little bit until your speaker blows out then you'll be screwed. Guitar speakers aren't designed to handle the extra intensity caused by low frequencies.
Quote by thunderbritches
Hate to be a dick but everything you need to know is on the FAQ.

+1

But to put some info in this thread, check these basses out when you start looking at things to try, all are fantastic starter basses:
- Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz
- Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz
- Ibanez GSR200
- Peavey Millennium BXP
- Yamaha RBX170

And for bass amps (you do need one, a bass will destroy the speakers on your guitar amp):
- Acoustic B20 (if you live in the US)
- Peavey MAX series
- Kustom KBA series (they pop up used for ridiculously low prices if you want to save some money)
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I am absolutely convinced that it is a different experience changing over from electric guitar to bass as opposed to learning bass guitar with no previous fretboard experience. I played electric guitar exclusively for 30 years before deciding to learn bass several years ago.

Most guitarists who decide to learn bass will also choose to continue playing guitar as well, and that lends a duality to the mix that simply playing bass alone does not provide.

Two things really sped up the learning curve for me. The first was using a short scale bass to learn on. I started with a long scale bass and just never got comfortable with the huge finger stretches on frets 1-5. Switched to a short scale and the difference was both immediate and huge.

The short scale fretboard is usually 4 inches shorter than a long scale bass and therefore closer to a standard electric guitar fretboard than a long scale, so (for me at least) it was easier to begin fingering correctly.

The second accelerator was the use of flatwound strings. Flatwound strings reduce a lot of the screech and pop during the early learning stages, so it's easier to sound better quicker, although the tone you get may not be ideal for your music genre. However, when you get to a point where you feel like you are getting it down then you can always shift to a long scale bass with roundwounds if that's your preference.

Personally, although I kept that first long scale bass, I still prefer a short scale because I've learned to appreciate their virtues and it seems like a much smaller fretboard leap when I switch between guitar and bass. Someone once described short scale basses as "cozy", and I think that's a pretty accurate description.

Just something to consider...

-Dawg