Page 1 of 4
...but not guitar. they want me to switch to classical. Their reasoning is that electric guitar damages you somehow and it changes your personality.. also i was going to buy an electric but they wont let me... can someone give me something to change their mind so i can buy my ibanez roadstar...
bring up jazz, blues,funk,anything besides metal
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
Quote by DIFTWOOD
can someone give me something to change their mind so i can buy my ibanez roadstar...

Play classical on an electric.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
be a rebel ts, buy it and shred till the wee hours of the , that'll teach em
Play your parents some Randy Rhoads. A heavily influenced classical guitar player. Show them you can play classical on the electric too. Man it seems like you have nice parents too, man what a way to kill your sons confidence.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
I would say it changes your personality, not necessarily in a good or bad way, and only very slightly for most people.
If they think it "damages" you then they probably have more problems than you do.

Also, why not get a classical? It would certainly improve your skills and you might enjoy it
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Aug 17, 2010,
have them listen to some Dissection and show them the dark path classical guitar will send you down.
Quote by The Kush
This should be put in the ****ing Bible.

Quote by Våd Hamster
You are an inspiration.

Quote by Blackwaterson89
Listen to TheBlessed Dead. The man is a genius. There should be a man of genius song about him. Stephen Hawking has nothing on TheBlessed Dead.
New Plan: Get a double turn table, some vinyls, and learn to rap.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
just go acoustic anyway. Its more fun, and to me- its more challenging. Learning songs by Antoine Dufour, Andy Mckee, and Don Ross are a lot more rewarding than learning blazing fast solos
Simply explain to your parents why you want an Electric guitar over an acoustic, especially if you play music other than metal (if you only play deathcore, metalcore, etc. I can see where your parents are coming from).

Or maybe see if you can get both. I started out with just an electric, but I have found acoustic to be as good, if not better.
1. Your parents are idiots. No offence, but changes you? lolnah.
2. Say you want to play blues, and that classical guitar doesn't suit blues.
3. Its your money. "I've been listening to this music, and I love it. I can't stand classical guitar. It would be a complete waste of my money".

Good luck.
RIP Tom Searle.
1. Find out what they like to listen to. Nothing makes my mom happier to bear with the noisemaking than hearing a song she likes once in a while.
2. Less metal. Even if you want to play metal, a lot of what most parents fear about the whole electric guitar thing is generally from the more extreme side of music at the time, from Elvis in the 50's to Sabbath in the 70's to metal in-general in the 80's to grunge after Cobain killed himself in the 90's to modern noun-noune-adjectivecore heavy metal nowadays, especially considering all the paranoia that can be coaxed from something like Varg Virkenes killing another metal musician. Look into Jazz-fusion or psychedelia, a lot of that stuff is where the roots of most metal comes from; the heavy stuff from the tail end of the 60's smashed with the technicality of 70's virtuosos.
3. Acoustic and/or classical don't mean giving up electric. Give it a try, it's a great change-of-pace.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
How can a guitar change your personality? if anything it just expresses whats always been there. The only few material things that i know of that change your personality are guns and crack.

Tell them it isn't their job to judge someone on the type of art they like to indulge in.

Also, Jazz isn't that innocent. It was all about banging underagers, pot and dropping acid.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Aug 17, 2010,
buy both /thread.

if they want you to learn classical I'm sure they'll buy you one.

2 guitars... win.
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Yeah seriously, try classical. It's a lot of fun. Play that guitar when they're home and electric when they're away. Either way you get a new instrument. C'mon man, this isn't that complicated.
Quote by MH400
1. Your parents are idiots. No offence, but changes you? lolnah.
2. Say you want to play blues, and that classical guitar doesn't suit blues.
3. Its your money. "I've been listening to this music, and I love it. I can't stand classical guitar. It would be a complete waste of my money".

Good luck.

1. Maybe his parents don't want him sounding like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPYTu9gkZDs (To be honest, I have no idea what it sounds like, I just youtubed "DEATHCORE!!", but you get the idea)
2.Sort of what I said, so I agree.
3.Not at all, even for someone that plans to play electric someday, being skilled on an acoustic is very important (not to mention, chicks dig acoustic).
ask them how they would feel if their parents made them switch to buddhism
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
What is this I don't even...

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Electric guitar is a legitimate instrument, and if they think otherwise, they are incredibly stupid.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by Kivarenn82
How can a guitar change your personality? if anything it just expresses whats always been there. The only few material things that i know of that change your personality are guns and crack.

Tell them it isn't their job to judge someone on the type of art they like to indulge in.

Also, Jazz isn't that innocent. It was all about banging underagers, pot and dropping acid.

Edit: ^Because that definitely won't reinforce their beliefs at all, no siree.

Just to everyone who says it doesn't change your personality, I think it can, in a way. It's a tool to get all the excess baggage of life that drags you down off, something to strip yourself down, and let out your strangest, weirdest(And if you're Hendrix or Vai and fancy shagging the guitar, most socially inappropriate) feelings and emotions and thoughts.

It makes you happier, purere, clearer because you've let all that stuff out and you're down to the real you, not the you that gets locked up and stays shriveled up because they never see the light of day because you're self-conscious. Like any instrument, it gives you a medium to let that all out, let it all flow. It's less of a change, and more of a cleaning, bringing everything you don't need away and freeing you in a way.

That's either the most junk I've said in a while or I just got deep and philosophical and stuff.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 17, 2010,
Quote by DarK1332
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGzGPSN_9cU

if your parents don't approve of this....... they need help...

that'll probably just convince them that electric guitar not only changes your personality, but it also causes ALS
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Slashestranged
If they don't let you play run away from home. I'm dead serious.

Yes, this would be absolute proof once and for all that the guitar won't make their boy act out of line. I agree with the guy who said to TS should tell his parents they're acting like fundamentalist Christians.
Quote by necrosis1193
Edit: ^Because that definitely won't reinforce their beliefs at all, no siree.

Just to everyone who says it doesn't change your personality, I think it can, in a way. It's a tool to get all the excess baggage of life that drags you down off, something to strip yourself down, and let out your strangest, weirdest(And if you're Hendrix or Vai and fancy shagging the guitar, most socially inappropriate) feelings and emotions and thoughts.

It makes you happier, purere, clearer because you've let all that stuff out and you're down to the real you, not the you that gets locked up and stays shriveled up because they never see the light of day because you're self-conscious. Like any instrument, it gives you a medium to let that all out, let it all flow. It's less of a change, and more of a cleaning, bringing everything you don't need away and freeing you in a way.

That's either the most junk I've said in a while or I just got deep and philosophical and stuff.

I think you have a point, but acoustic can do the same too. Try to play Nothing Else Matters and not feel completely open...
Give them a BS excuse not to play classical, something like "The actions to high..."

anyway really awkward I started reading this while playing Dee by RR.......on an electric.
tel them you will learn how to do both, because you should, but tell them that the more you know the better and you would be a much more talented player if you did both.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
I think you have a point, but acoustic can do the same too. Try to play Nothing Else Matters and not feel completely open...

Fair point, but it won't have it if he doesn't enjoy it; A proactive solution would be for him to find some classical he really likes(I had to do so back when I was a dedicated rock guy for a music appreciation class. Found out that I'm rather fond of Tchaikovsky and Bach, and I also enjoy film scores) and play that, but keep an electric to work on his chops on contemporary music as well. But if he doesn't enjoy it and only does it because he has to, then I think it'd be worse than just giving it up altogether until he gets his own place.

^Good idea @CJL666.

How big are your hands TS? Because if you're on the smaller side, you can give them some BS like "I need an electric for the thin neck."

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

thanks, that needed to be done

eff your parents, despite what they may have you believe you have free will. If its your money spend it however the bloody hell you want.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
They're trying to tell you that you suck, and at least with a classical guitar, they can go in a different room and not hear you.

Or maybe they want to turn you into a pretentious douche.

OH GOD, WHY AM I NOT BANNED YET?
Quote by Slashestranged
If they don't let you play run away from home. I'm dead serious.

I kind of wish you would stop posting

forever
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Kivarenn82
How can a guitar change your personality? if anything it just expresses whats always been there.

This.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by TheBlessed Dead
have them listen to some Dissection and show them the dark path classical guitar will send you down.

This, show them the grimness that is Chaosophia and Into Infinite Obscurity

Quote by Primus2112
I kind of wish you would stop posting

forever

Can you not smell the sarcasm dripping off of his post?
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Last edited by Putrefaction at Aug 17, 2010,
Page 1 of 4