So my girlfriend wants to get me something cool for my birthday, I suggested guitar pickups, and now she wants to know which ones I want My only problem now is deciding which pickups to go with...

My setup: Ibanez RG350DX, a Pod XT Live, and some Sennheiser headphones. I occasionally run the Pod into the line in jack of my old Behringer 2x12 amp, but 90% of the time I just play through headphones.

I realize most people here hate anything that does modeling, but I can get some pretty nice tones out of the Pod. I also realize new pickups won't drastically change my sound like they might with a tube amp, but I'm sure they'll make a noticeable improvement... the stock Ibanez pickups are pretty muddy and mediocre.

What I play: Mostly progressive metal (Dream Theater/Porcupine Tree/Tool) and heavy metal (Metallica/Pantera/Iced Earth). Some death metal (Amon Amarth, Opeth, Insomnium). Occasional bluesy and acoustic stuff.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I want Dimarzios, but not sure what models to get. I want a versatile bridge pickup that can handle chunky metal rhythms (and the occasional shred). For the neck, I want something nice and warm for soloing and clean stuff. Not planning on changing the center single coil.

I was thinking maybe the Liquifire/Crunchlab combo? Or Breed bridge with Air Norton neck?
Tone Zone / Air Norton is always a reliable combo.
The Crunchlab and D Sonic excel with lower tunings in my opinion.

Also if you want a slightly older Dream Theater style look at the Steve's Special in the bridge
Go Crunch Lab/ Liquifire. It sounds amazing.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
Go Crunch Lab/ Liquifire. It sounds amazing.

I think this video just convinced me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTEYvI9Xco

The first part reminds me of an old Paul Gilbert tone. Sounds good to me.

Any consensus on which direction the bar on the Crunch Lab should go? Dimarzio's site says "John prefers the Crunch Lab™ to be installed in almost all of his guitars with the solid bar toward the neck, regardless of the guitar’s tuning." Then, they show a picture of him holding a Music Man with the bar facing the bridge...

I'm confused
Last edited by Bloodred070 at Aug 17, 2010,
Quote by Bloodred070
I think this video just convinced me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTEYvI9Xco

The first part reminds me of an old Paul Gilbert tone. Sounds good to me.

Any consensus on which direction the bar on the Crunch Lab should go? Dimarzio's site says "John prefers the Crunch Lab™ to be installed in almost all of his guitars with the solid bar toward the neck, regardless of the guitar’s tuning." Then, they show a picture of him holding a Music Man with the bar facing the bridge...

I'm confused

Pic was probably taken with either a D-Sonic, or before he had gotten familiar with the pickup. I always see it with the solid bar going towards the neck when he's playing live now.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
I think that picture is a D Sonic not Crunchlab, also its a 7 string version of his guitar in which i believe he would swap it around. Either that or he has it setup that way for a particular song. Normally its best to put the bar part towards the neck.
Quote by barnesybaby
I think that picture is a D Sonic not Crunchlab, also its a 7 string version of his guitar in which i believe he would swap it around. Either that or he has it setup that way for a particular song. Normally its best to put the bar part towards the neck.

With the Crunch Lab he puts it toward the neck no matter what tuning or style guitar he is using.
Quote by rmr024

I second the Crunch Lab/Liquifire pickups. Incredible combination.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
I have a crunchlab in my strat and it sounds amazing. Realy dynamic and warm pickup that allows you to play big chrods with loads of distortion an still be able to hear each of the individual notes.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
I agree with the CL/Liquifire combo. That being said, I have a D sonic in my LP and I just LOVE it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
On my Jackson I have the D-sonic in my bridge and have the Air Norton S version in the neck and that's a great combo. which is what JP used before DiMarzio made the Crunchlab and Liquidfire. Either way can't go too wrong with the higher output DiMarzio's
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)