So I got an Epiphone Dot on clearance for 180 (not studio, it has a natural finish) and I was wondering if I should replace the pickups with burstbuckers. I don't know much about pickups, but I know that the Gibson SG historic reissue ('62 I believe) has burstbuckers, and that is my dream guitar. so those are the pickups I would put in, plus some new better tuners. I have heard a lot of people say putting good pickups into a bad guitar (though I wouldn't say the Dot is bad per se) is a waste of time. So I wanted to know what you guys thought. Thanks for the help!
With the right pickups, you can make a bad guitar good.

I don't know much about different pickups, but I would say invest a little money into that guitar, because those are pretty sweet for the price.
Quote by Kid Number A
So I got an Epiphone Dot on clearance for 180 (not studio, it has a natural finish) and I was wondering if I should replace the pickups with burstbuckers. I don't know much about pickups, but I know that the Gibson SG historic reissue ('62 I believe) has burstbuckers, and that is my dream guitar. so those are the pickups I would put in, plus some new better tuners. I have heard a lot of people say putting good pickups into a bad guitar (though I wouldn't say the Dot is bad per se) is a waste of time. So I wanted to know what you guys thought. Thanks for the help!

Well the amp is important as well. Generally speaking, transistor amps can't pick up on the subtleties of different pickups. What amp do you have? And may I say that you got a great deal on that guitar.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Well the amp is important as well. Generally speaking, transistor amps can't pick up on the subtleties of different pickups. What amp do you have? And may I say that you got a great deal on that guitar.

Yea it was a steal. It was during the worst of the recession so I took advantage of my savings. I play stereo through a fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and a Roland Jazz Chorus 77 (really old model). The fender is a tube and the Roland is a solid state, and together they already make my dot sound really good. But yea it is a good guitar, and burstbuckers aren't that expensive so I was thinking replacing the pickups would be a good way to make my guitar sound a lot better.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Eh, I don't really like burstbuckers, to tell you the truth.

why not? Basically I want something that can do all styles, from hard rock to funk to ethereal indie to blues cleans and everything in between. I love bands that are hard to place into a genre, like Radiohead and Muse. The only reason I say Burstbuckers is cuz they come with the 62' Gibson SG historic reissue, and that guitar sounds really good. But other than that, I am a total noob at pickups! What do you suggest?
I had a Dot as well (my brother is an indian giver) and it sounded great. If I were you I'd just get the standard gibson pickups the epis are trying to emulate.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by Kid Number A
why not? Basically I want something that can do all styles, from hard rock to funk to ethereal indie to blues cleans and everything in between. I love bands that are hard to place into a genre, like Radiohead and Muse. The only reason I say Burstbuckers is cuz they come with the 62' Gibson SG historic reissue, and that guitar sounds really good. But other than that, I am a total noob at pickups! What do you suggest?

Eh, I'm not impressed with them at all. Not really PAF-voiced. For a "reissue", they've given it pickups that aren't all that close to what was in a '62.

I'd rather have something handwound that does the PAF sound better.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Eh, I'm not impressed with them at all. Not really PAF-voiced. For a "reissue", they've given it pickups that aren't all that close to what was in a '62.

I'd rather have something handwound that does the PAF sound better.

so what should I get? lol I have no idea what to do! I'm like a baby in the world of pickups
I've recently fallen in love with the Seymour Duncan '59. Just put one in the neck of my buddy's Sheraton. Sounds great.

Watch putting high-output pups in a semihollow also. Unless of course you're Min.

I personally am not that big of a fan of Gibbo's pickups.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
I've recently fallen in love with the Seymour Duncan '59. Just put one in the neck of my buddy's Sheraton. Sounds great.

Watch putting high-output pups in a semihollow also. Unless of course you're Min.

I personally am not that big of a fan of Gibbo's pickups.

hmm well I again I want both a grunge sound, a hard rock sound, and blues, and beautiful clean tones. I have the equipment for it, all I need is the pickups that will allow my equipment to sound its best. I'll check out the Seymours, btw I want to change both my pickups so should I get two?
Quote by Kid Number A
so what should I get? lol I have no idea what to do! I'm like a baby in the world of pickups

Well, I sense that you are working on a bit of a budget, but are not unwilling to pay a premium if it means you're getting a good product.

http://highorderpickups.com/
I hear very good things about these guys. They don't try and sell you snake oil, they don't over hype, they simply aim to get good tone.

I use pickups from rockmonkeyguitars.com, and I love 'em.

BTW, these sounds you're aiming for? Very possible, with the right amp, if you have the right technique. Most of those tones are due to the player's technique. Dig in deep with your pick attack for grunge (maybe use a Proco Rat pedal), learn to use your neck pickup for blues, etc...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 18, 2010,
hit ebay and look for Wilkinson PAFs. They're a steal.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Look at Lollars. The Imperials are great. I'm ordering one soon to throw in my Strat.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I am confused. WHY do you want to replace your pickups? What is the problem you are experiencing with them?

I play stereo through a fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and a Roland Jazz Chorus 77 (really old model). The fender is a tube and the Roland is a solid state, and together they already make my dot sound really good.

Says there it already sounds "really good."

Secondly, you understand your dot is semi-hollow, and your dream guitar is NOT?

Or did you really just buy the wrong guitar?

Not quite sure what you are doing playing "stereo" with that setup. *Does it give you phasing issues?
He said he got it on sale, he isn't stupid and he asked for advice on pickups and all you did is criticize him.

I agree with the Seymour duncans.
Quote by filtersweep
I am confused. WHY do you want to replace your pickups? What is the problem you are experiencing with them

Says there it already sounds "really good."

Secondly, you understand your dot is semi-hollow, and your dream guitar is NOT?

Or did you really just buy the wrong guitar?

Not quite sure what you are doing playing "stereo" with that setup. *Does it give you phasing issues?

Because he got it for a steal.

Why settle for really good when you can go for great? That's like eating a bowl of cereal when you have sausage, eggs, biscuits, bacon and pancakes in the same room.

I'll second the Lollars and the High Orders.
--

--
It is not a steal if it cannot be used or requires additional modification.
Quote by stratman_13
Because he got it for a steal.

Why settle for really good when you can go for great? That's like eating a bowl of cereal when you have sausage, eggs, biscuits, bacon and pancakes in the same room.

I'll second the Lollars and the High Orders.
To be honest I think that the Epi Dots sound good without any mods, as long as they are played through a good amp, like TS has.

I've seen alot of people replace the bridge pick-up however, and leave the neck (because it sounds fine).

As for the Burstbuckers, have you ever actually played the SG with them in? You might not like them, just sayin'. Also, keep in mind that those pickups will sound completly different in a Dot than they do in an SG.

As for pick-up suggestions, what is wrong with the stock pick-ups? And what sound are you going for?

Also remember, that putting pickups into a 335 shape guitar is a lot harder than putting pickups into a solid body.

PS: You Americans with your savory and sweet on the same plate, metal.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by filtersweep

He can obviously use it. He just wants to swap the pickups out to better suit his music. Can it be used for his genres? Yes. Look at Izzy Stradlin. his main guitar was a gibson ES-175. If he swaps the pickups out, it'lll be much better suited for the genres. Add that with the fact that almost every pup Epiphone puts out is trash, it makes sense. Who knows? it may even become his dream guitar.

If he likes how it plays, its well worth it to make is sound much better.
--

--
Quote by filtersweep

It's a steal if it's less than 1/2 the going price of one...

BTW, FuzzLove brings up a good point. I for one, do all my own tech work and modifications even pedals....but TBH, I'd still have a shop install pickups into a sem-hollow guitar, if I had one. It's hard and annoying enough where I'd rather pay a reputable shop a premium to do it.
Teehee. I rewired a Sheraton yesterday John . Hardest part was fishing the controls out of the f-hole. After that it was easy.... angled jewler's pliers make a world of difference though.
--

--
Quote by forsaknazrael
Oh ya, huh. I completed glazed over that fact, initially. Congrats!

What I would personally do if I absolutely had to work on one...is snip the old pickup's wires, and solder the new pickups directly on the old wires.

I had toyed with that idea but Nick wouldn't let me. We dropped a '59 and JB in neck/bridge config. sounds great in semi's actually.
--

--
Well, the question for me is why not? I saved about 200 bucks from the sale and even though it sounds good (cuz my gear is something I am really proud of) I know it can sound even better. So I want to take that 200 and invest it into pickups and tuners. I am gonna get it done by a professional, no way I am gonna try installing myself lol. I haven't played the SG, but I have heard it and it sounds beautiful. I guess you are right about them sounding different. I saw some demo's of the seymour duncans and they sound too twangy for me...it kinda sucks that the only people doing demo's on youtube are blues players. I will check out the pickups you guys recommended, thanks for the help!
Quote by filtersweep
It is a steal and it doesn't need or require any modification.

I hate the huge body but my Dot is such a sweet player I overlook the fact it's like having a gladiator shield hanging from your neck.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd say the SG sounding good is probably due more to the amp. The amp is MUCH more of your tone than pickups.

Lamb of God uses '59s. >_>

lol really??? shittttt
well idk the guy whose demo I saw had a dot and 59's and they sounded awful. But I guess I have to try it on my amps to really know
Quote by Kid Number A
Yea it was a steal. It was during the worst of the recession so I took advantage of my savings. I play stereo through a fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and a Roland Jazz Chorus 77 (really old model). The fender is a tube and the Roland is a solid state, and together they already make my dot sound really good. But yea it is a good guitar, and burstbuckers aren't that expensive so I was thinking replacing the pickups would be a good way to make my guitar sound a lot better.

What burstbuckers?

If they're the Custom Shop BB1, 2 or 3, ok.

If they're Worstbucker Pros, **** no.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Kid Number A
lol really??? shittttt
well idk the guy whose demo I saw had a dot and 59's and they sounded awful. But I guess I have to try it on my amps to really know

half of the youtube videos of anything are absolute shite. people don't know how to dial anything in.

Look at The Tone King on there. terrible vids.
hahahahha yea there is a reason they are making guitar vids for youtube I guess

btw bubb_tubbs, I think I found them on the gibson website, but I can't decide which ones to go with.
ok I think I am going to get the burstbuckers from the gibson site (not the burstbucker pro's). So what combo should I get? 1 and 2 is what I am thinking, but what about 3 and 2? or 3 and 1?
haha damn I just want to freaking make this easier
it's so frustrating finding the right pickups
I have a 2009 lefty dot. The stock pickups are crap. They are muddy and have zero tone. I put in a set of Duncan phat cats and it rocks. I also added a B7 bigsby. What a difference. One thing with these chinese guitars is that you need to have it set up by a decent guitar tech. Out of the box it was practically unplayable. With a bunch of modds its still cheaper than dropping 4 grand on the real deal. Right now its my goto guitar.
Last edited by ronco05 at Aug 28, 2010,