I haven't used my laney for a good year or so now, a crying shame really! When coming back to it I realised it needs new valves, as the current ones don't seem to have dealt well with the changing temperatures in the attic i had it stored away in too well

I've swapped all the preamp tubes out, and I'm now looking to acquire some new power amp valves (100 watt head, 4 valves). I had a chat with a guy from a large European valve stockist, about two to three years ago I think, about what kind of upgrades I could make to the current valves (EL34's) and he recommended a dual combination of KT88's and EL34's. (This was in order to tighten up the bass slightly, as I generally play in' C standard' tuning, and to also have some more chimey mids). Unfortunately I can no longer remember the name of the company, and cannot find the email either.

Now, I wanted to make sure with some experienced gear owners that this is possible and I'm not just imagining that I had this email conversation. If it is possible, do I just need two matched sets of each valve? Or is it slightly more complicated and each set have to be matched to each other for the amp specifically? In this setup he said you would be running one of each valve on each side of the power amp section, one KT88 and one EL34 in the 'push' and 'pull' sides of the amp. I have changed the valves before and biased it myself (Im in my final year of an electronics masters degree, so I have the equipment and roughish knowledge of amplifiers to do this).

Any advice is much appreciated, but when posting could you please mention what relevant experience you are basing your advice on. I'm new to the board, and it's hard to filter out what is most relevant and correct!

cheers guys,

Joel

EDIT: infact it may possibly have been KT88 and 6l6 combination, although I doubt that somewhat
Last edited by VaticanUK at Aug 17, 2010,
Why you'd want to put KT-88s or 6L6s in that amp is really beyond me, I really doubt that adding either would tighten up the bass, in fact, it might make it looser. EL-34s are very "tight" sounding tubes, I've not played the GH100L, but the GH50L is far from loose, maybe you're confusing your terms?

I'd really just stick with EL-34s tbh, that amp is meant to sound british, throwing in KT-88s or 6L6s would just ruin the sound it's made for IMO. If you must go with something more along the lines of a KT-88, I'd try some 6550s, if they'll work. They might draw too much heat (like the KT-88s) and potentially fry something in the amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, I generally use it for metal to be honest. I use a keeley modded OD with the level up to boost before the preamp too. I would like to lose a little of the top end 'fizz', without losing definition. I have an LC15R I use for tones with a lot of top end. I am currently finding myself rolling back the treble to around 13:00, and the presence to about 12:00. The tone switch is usually set to (since the settings have rubbed off I'm going to say that this would be) the 'darker' setting. I wanted to make the sound a little less sparkly at the top, and a bit more full in the mid range. Perhaps ignoring the bottom end, since I find this tight enough already, what tubes could be experimented with to alter the tone in this way?

I understand your concerns with regards to the intention of the amp and what changing out the tubes for anything but the EL34's will do, but I cannot afford to go back to a mesa while I'm studying (sold a single rec at the beginning of uni). I thought I would explore other tonal options since I am already looking to replace the tubes, mainly a slightly darker tone, and slightly less classic brit rock.
I know what you mean. Laneys are extremely bright amps. Try some darker EL34s like JJ tubes, maybe?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
I know what you mean. Laneys are extremely bright amps. Try some darker EL34s like JJ tubes, maybe?

This is a point, I need not consider using a wildly different combination when trying to alter the tone. This is the first i've properly looked into tubes. previously i just emailed a reputable company. appears perhaps the advice was not necessarily what i was looking for. I am now considering:

Siemens EL34
Gold Lion KT77

Interesting reviews of both tubes online. Aren't the JJ and EHX EL34's quite similar? Or am I mistaken :P
Most EL34s are similar :P

You're not going to get an other-worldly tone by switching to a different brand of EL34s. At the same time, I don't think a KT88/6L6 is what you're looking for either (maybe it's just me and my fear of biasing amps). Try playing around with some preamp tubes, especially those in the V1/V2 spot. Not a tube expert so I can't say much.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I'd probably go with some JJ EL-34, EL-34L or KT-77s. JJs are darker tubes. The EL-34 is your standard one, just darker. The EL-34L will retain more of the EL-34 character, but with a bigger bottom end, the KT-77 is more of a cross between a EL-34 and a 6L6, while still staying a bit more on the EL-34 side.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com