Hey everyone,

I'm about to buy my first tube amp, and I need you're help to decide which one.

I play mostly classic rock and blues, but might once in a while play some heavier stuff (punk/metal).

I'm looking for an amp that can do good cleans, but also give me decent breakup at bedroom levels. currently I'm a house player, but might gig in the future, so I want something that's at least kinda gig worthy.

Right now I'm undecided between two amps:
jet city jca2112rc and Laney Cub 12.

I love the 1<W on the laney, and it has great reviews - good cleans, nice crunch, 3b eq, tone, gain and volume
on the JCA I like the tube reverb (no 12R here in Israel ) has separate volume and gain as well, soldano design. seem to be more gain (still haven't decided if thats a good thing for me, though ).
I'm a little apprehensive about the JCA, as it might be a little too loud.

any opinion? suggestions??

thanks a bunch

Tom

***hey, hey, my, my... Rock'n'Roll can never die***
I've heard so many great things about that Jet City.. I'd check it out (If possible) and see if you like it. If you have no way of trying it out, check YouTube for sound clips and reviews and such, search around for reviews written by reliable sources.. And decide after some heavy research. That's how I have to decide on my gear (Since I have no way to try anything out that isn't a Squier, Ibanez GIO, or Epiphone Special II or SG Special.. Oh and of course, no amps except Spiders and MG's, with the occassional Vyper.)
Tried both the JCA and the Cub 12. I preferred the JCA by far. It just sounds a lot bigger. Good for the styles you mentioned. It can get heavy, not modern-metal type of heavy, but way heavier than the Cub.

EDIT: You won't be getting the JCA to break up at bedroom levels, but you can always just turn up the gain a little?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Aug 17, 2010,
you might want to look at the blackstar ht-20, it's a 2 channel amp so you can control the volume easily
british... afraid no blackstars here in Israel...
hellboy, would turning down the volume, and upping the gain on the JCA would give better/same/worse breakup then on the cub 12 >1W in low volumes (considering the cub 12 has separate volume/gain controls)?

btw, great response time, guys
Quote by tom_o
british... afraid no blackstars here in Israel...
hellboy, would turning down the volume, and upping the gain on the JCA would give better/same/worse breakup then on the cub 12 >1W in low volumes (considering the cub 12 has separate volume/gain controls)?

btw, great response time, guys

By break-up do you just mean distortion? If you're asking me which distortion I prefer out of the two, I'd still go with the JCA. It's got a unique character to it which I haven't found in other amps. The Laney's dirt is a little grainy to me.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

By break-up do you just mean distortion?

Hellboy, yep, I mean distortion
Does the JCA have good cleans, with a decent headroom??

I'm a complete noob in tube amps... just waiting to take the jump in
JCA's cleans aren't very pristine, but sound great for clean blues. The guy at the store was playing some Gary Moore + SRV through it and it sounded great.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Yeah, unfortunately the JCA won't give the greatest clean cleans, simply because it's only got the one channel. With the gain down to 2 or 3 however, there is only a slight boost that will still sound fairly clean.

It's still got plenty of head room though at that level. With mine up to 7 through my Carvin on the master and the gain at 3, I'm overpowering my drummer. And even then, it still sounds fairly clean. Cranking the gain with the master up high will damage your hearing very easily, so I wouldn't worry about it not being loud enough.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
has anyone had a chance playing on the cub 12's >1W setting? is it useful?
I really like it in theory, cause as I said I'm a home player, and need the amp to play nice at bedroom level (that why even though the jca looks pretty sweet, I'm leaning towards the laney).

thanks
denied, thanks for the reco. but way of my budget limits... tight budget and uptight wife
by the way, completely forgot to ask about the Blackheart Handsome Devil... Any love for it??
and another question.. I saw that the Cubs are built with surface mounted components, ie no modding (not that a big a deal for me), and very hard to service (you usually just have to replace the entire PCB, if anything goes wrong). How much should I take that in to consideration when deciding on which amp to buy??

Thanks a bunch,
Tom
You never mentioned your upper price range...

My Maz 18 can do "classic rock and blues, but might once in a while play some heavier stuff (punk/metal)".

It is also gig worthy.

It's all tube, and with a BrakeLite power attenuator, you can control the volume nicely...
Let me know if you want to know more. I love to talk Maz.

It has a 'Master' and 'Volume' control too.
But to make it give up the goods, we tend to crank the Master, and get your channel volume up to the edge of speaker breakup, then dial your overall volume back with the BrakeLite.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 13, 2010,
Hey burstbucker,
Unfortunately I'm from Israel, and the taxes for amps are sky high (the prices are about twice as high as they are any where else).

My budget is about 650-700 USD (which is about 2500 NIS). The maz 18 is 8500 NIS which is 2500 USD... way off limits.

So my choices are pretty much set to three amps that get pretty good rep, and are within my price range :
Laney Cub 12 2385 NIS - 635 USD
Jet City Amps JCA2112RC 2580 NIS - 685 USD
BlackHeart Handsome Devil 2690 NIS - 715 USD

Tomer
hey, ya'all...
No amp yet ... and it seems the cubs are no longer shipped... so thats one off the list...
HOWEVER, a recent development has brought a new contender The Egnater Tweaker, which seems like a pretty sweet lunch box amp.
I'm thinking of getting the head+Cab (If I could scratch the extra $$$ from some where).
It about 4000 NIS which is about 1110$.

Any thoughts on it?? Is it worth the extra $$??

Thank again,
Tomer
Quote by tom_o
hey, ya'all...
No amp yet ... and it seems the cubs are no longer shipped... so thats one off the list...
HOWEVER, a recent development has brought a new contender The Egnater Tweaker, which seems like a pretty sweet lunch box amp.
I'm thinking of getting the head+Cab (If I could scratch the extra $$$ from some where).
It about 4000 NIS which is about 1110$.

Any thoughts on it?? Is it worth the extra $$??

Thank again,
Tomer

Haha, I vote for the Tweaker! But seriously, if you've got any questions about our stuff, just shoot me a message on here. I check in at least once a day.
The Tweaker is a great amp but not necessarily for cleans. ^ I understand there is a new Tweaker 40 and 88 coming out but that may be a bit down the road. Unfortunately, due to where you are geographically, the Jet City seems to be your best bet.

I like head/cab configurations better myself so I think it is worth the extra $$

Also look at an Egnater Rebel. Do they have those? What about Renegades? What about a Peavey Classic 30?
@Ian
Thanks man, I will

@311

I actually heard the JCA's are a bit weak on the cleans, while the tweaker has pretty decent cleans (especially on the US, and vx setup). was you're experience different??

I don't really need higher wattage, as I'm mostly will be playing at home, and I've got a 3m baby.

They do have the rebels, but from what
I heard the tweaker has a much wider range of sound, as the tone stacks make a bigger difference in sound the the tube mix.