So I wrote this part. Figured out all the notes and it's either in G# minor or B major. Sounds like minor but the chords I can use are the same either way..

G#m, A#dim, B, C#m, A#m, E, F#

Then I tried to fit a chord behind each bar that shared the most notes but I hit a wall. There's a few things I've played that have sounded okay but I'd like to know how to do this 'properly' and more efficently.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by squidlips at Aug 17, 2010,
its all depending on what your playing, when your writing you dont necisarrily need to play in key to be 'proper' :P

play what sounds right to you, you wrote it, make it yours
Quote by squidlips
(Invalid img)

So I wrote this part. Figured out all the notes and it's either in G# minor or B major. Sounds like minor but the chords I can use are the same either way..

G#m, A#dim, B, C#m, A#m, E, F#

Then I tried to fit a chord behind each bar that shared the most notes but I hit a wall. There's a few things I've played that have sounded okay but I'd like to know how to do this 'properly' and more efficently.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Record the progression and try to sing over it. You've left diatonic harmony, but not by much -- where does the song seem to want to resolve the strongest? Thats your first task to answer.

Best,

Sean
Sorry guys my image wasn't showing when I first posted. It's not a progression, that what I'd like help to figure out.
new here. Been an instructor and session leader for 30 years. The best answer is realize there are two types of melody notes. Passing and chord tones. a little bit of tension is a good thing so be easy on finding a perfect match. However a good habit is to simply add the passing tones into your chord as extensions. hope this helped.
picker304
The Guitar Teacher
http://www.hicksschool.webs.com
I think the basic rules are to identify the key, strip down the melody until it is just recognisable then look at what you have. Although playin around to see what sounds good is always best.

FWIW It looks like a repeated phrase with some variations. I would think a F#, E vamp, changing to E halfway through the 2nd and 4th bars.