Greetings all i'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is looking for a small-ish valve amp (his first valve) normally i let people make their own decisions but as he was asking for my advice on wether to get a marshall mg or a fender frontman so i felt the need to intervene!!!! His budget is £200-£300 and he will be gigging (only small pub/club stuff) he plays stuff from classic rock (from Zep to Def Lep) as well as modern pop punk kinda stuff like All Time Low, Youmeatsix etc. I was thinking something along the lines of the following amps but wondered if anyone had anything to add as it has been a while since i have shopped for an amp at this budget.

Bugera V22

Jet City 20w (maybe a slight budget stretch)

Epiphone Blues Custom (again perhaps a stretch for £300)

My main problem is i can't help but think of Laney VC30, Orange Rocker 30 etc. which are great amps but a couple hundred pounds too much! Any advice would be great!
Guitars
Fender USA Strat
Tele c/w Bare Knucks
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!
a laney vc15. Should be loud enough for small gigs.

or a cheaper alternative would be a Laney cub 12r.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by northernboy1987
Greetings all i'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is looking for a small-ish valve amp (his first valve) normally i let people make their own decisions but as he was asking for my advice on wether to get a marshall mg or a fender frontman so i felt the need to intervene!!!! His budget is £200-£300 and he will be gigging (only small pub/club stuff) he plays stuff from classic rock (from Zep to Def Lep) as well as modern pop punk kinda stuff like All Time Low, Youmeatsix etc. I was thinking something along the lines of the following amps but wondered if anyone had anything to add as it has been a while since i have shopped for an amp at this budget.

i didn't think the ht-5 would be loud enough for gigging without being absolutely cranked the whole time.

@jaylacelle what i was trying to say is that he wanted to get a fender frontman or a marshall mg so i was trying to steer him away from either of those, as imo they suck ass.

Had another thought anyone have any experience with the Sound City 30w valve combo?
Guitars
Fender USA Strat
Tele c/w Bare Knucks
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!
Last edited by kyle62 at Aug 17, 2010,
Well ts, the amps you mentioned are all fine for what your friend wants to play. Look on the used market for stuff that is out of his price range, Laneys and Marshalls (the above mentioned DLS401 is a great choice when you can get one for cheap) go for silly low prices in the UK.
Good suggestions above.
As an alternative, get him to try out a Hiwatt Maxwatt 100. 100w SS (non-modeling) is loads for small/medium gigs and it turns down really well for home. I've seen them around UK for £265 and being SS they are nicely light and portable. I was well impressed when I tried one out a couple of months ago and I was comparing it with a £1000 half stack. No comparison, of course, but for a tough little working amp at a great price, its hard to beat.
Not tried a modern Sound City but their old stuff, made in Southend-on-sea, was very good.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by northernboy1987

@jaylacelle what i was trying to say is that he wanted to get a fender frontman or a marshall mg so i was trying to steer him away from either of those, as imo they suck ass.

But what confused me is you said he is looking for a valve amp. He knows that those are solid-state right?
oh i see sorry man, he was looking at those at first until i suggested he should be looking at a valve amp instead of those two choices. Anyone got any other suggestions? He would rather buy new but i can throw some more used suggestions his way as well.
Guitars
Fender USA Strat
Tele c/w Bare Knucks
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!